3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HELP  (Read 618 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
HELP
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
So I received the refund for the incorrectly spined arrows my wife ordered, and now with our budget I can't even order the correct spine because of the cost of shipping the arrows back to the dealer! Very frustrating, because now I have to be absolutely certain that if I get to order new arrows, they have to be spined correctly. I was looking at Gold Tip traditional shafts, or Easton Legacy's. For the legacy I know I would need at least 2016's as the 2117's she ordered were grossly over spined!!! Help!!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
And on top of that, the trad shop I go to is very expensive when fletching arrows with the high cost of feathers these days. What is a broke college kid going to do haha. At least I have the feather color/style picked out, I'm gonna go with 4" shield red barred cock feathers and the same but green barred hen feathers. I am going to go with Truflight as they have come with great recommendations from this site. I am hoping for some snow so I can make a little extra cash shoveling sidewalks but of course we have had a very abnormal winter with less than 2 inches for the whole year so far

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
Might want to remind us of the specs for your bow.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
You might be able to find just what you need in the Classifieds on this forum. You might need to make a compromise on your color preference, but I'm sure someone out there has a half dozen or a dozen arrows that will work for you.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
It's a 50#  @28 inches aHawkeye Indian recurve, I draw between 28-2.5 trying to get that darn anchor point down haha! Just starting my trad journey, wish me luck!

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
you might as well splurge and get yourself some g.t. 35-55s and get them fletched up and youll be good to go for the year.  use your credit card and make payments for a couple months. my 2 cents.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
I actually don't have a credit card, would get myself in some trouble with all of the hunting stuff I "need" as my wife says haha

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
I would think a 2016 Legacy with a 125 grain point and cut to around 29" would be a good start.
James Kerr

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
What length do you need? I have a new dozen Gamgetter 500's (2016 black shafts) I messed up and cut them just a hair to short for my draw.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
I think most likely 29-30 would work

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
You should look at getting some Gold Tip cosmetic blems.  I sell them and so does Big Jim's.  I do believe you can get them from him for less money so start there.  

If you are trying to save money, skip the barred feathers.  Sure they look great but they are nearly twice as expensive as the solid colors and they are harder to find after a shot.  Going with a bright solid color will save you money and reduce the chance of loosing arrows (saving time and more money).

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice oxnam, I will look into those! Which spine should I get? 59#s at 28 inches, I'm pulling 28-28.5 Hawkeye Indian recurve?

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
50#s is what I meant to type*

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
Jacob, If your using RW feathers you can mail the to me and I would gladly fletch them for you N/C also I have some Carbon Express Heritage 150's that you could try but they are all cut to 30" BOP . I could send some different point weights also.

doug77

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
As arrow30 suggested get the 35-55 spine and yes Oxnams blemished suggestion is your best bet. At your draw you could leave them full length and find the right point weight. If you opt to have them cut be sure they are the right length before ordering.

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
Mine 2016's may be too short for you, they are 29" from the deepest part of the nock to the end of the shaft. I need 29.5 to 30" myself.

I think you should take Doug up on his offer, find out what works best before you spend anymore money.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
Looks like your getting some good advice and offers to help you out.I to think the 2016s are a good bet and or the other shafts mentioned in carbon.The CX-150s cut to 30 inches offered above and a some different point weights could work for you IMO.Lighter point stiffens spine heavier point weakens spine.Those 500s sound good as well kindly offered by Mr. Kendall

The GT blems are good bet.The carbons are very durable and will outlast Aluminum in my experience.So you might consider those for longterm durability.

A tight budget makes things more difficult I am well aware of.

You can take advantage of the Classified Adds section on T-Gang with arrow and arrow building supplies available.You can also run a Wanted Add thier and surely get a response eventually for what your looking for at a very good price.

You will want to consider this down the road to save money at the archery proshop.

Get yourself a fletching jig and clamp.Buy your own fletchings and some fletching tape of fletch glue and make your own arrows.You will have to constantly be going back to the proshop to have your arrows redone when the fletching needs to be replaced.I consider a fletching jig and materials needed to fletch arrows essential tools for traditional archery and could not live without them.You can always find those tools second hand in the Classifieds as well.Its not hard to fletch your own arrows.

good luck

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
I looked thru big jims website unfortunately he was out of the blemished gold tips :/

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
I have a bitz fletching jig, not sure how to tell they type of clamp that came with it, bought it a while ago from a buddy of mine to fletch my compound arrows. I used some type of glue and was not impressed, so I eventually ordered some bohning fletching tape, haven't gotten to use it yet though

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
The tape works great, its all I have used for many years.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©