3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buffalo / Thunderchild differences?  (Read 198 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Buffalo / Thunderchild differences?
« on: January 20, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
What's the differance? I have decided this is gonna be my next bow purchase. Would love to see some pics and would like some opinions on grips, woods etc.. Love the look of all Jim's bow's but gotta make a decision. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Jason

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buffalo / Thunderchild differences?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
Thier both excellant.

If you want a shorter brush bow the T-child is the way to go IMO.I find it to be a very stable shooting bow for the length and smooth.It points naturally with its forward set handle.For quick instinctive shooting.Its probably gonna be a tad lighter in the hand than the buff in the longer lengths.

If you want something longer and more traditional looking the Buff is a great choice.

They are both sharp looking bows.Some may prefer the aesthetics of one over the other though.

I have had one T-child that was 56" and 3 Buffalo's.Two 62 inchers and one 64".Two were TD's.Woods are a personall choice.He seems to always have great woods of many species available.I believe the core on most bows is action bamboo?I think one of mine was natural bamboo though.I draw 30" and all the bows fit me well with no stack or shooting issues.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
I also have a 30" draw. Would like to try a 58" bow, wouldnt want to go much shorter than that. ( I dont think ) Probably stick to a 60 or 62" bow. Anybody have any pics?

Thanks Jason

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
You can find alot of pics if you do a search in the POW WOW for Big Jim Bows,Big Jims Bow Company,Thunderchild or Buffalo Bow .

I am not sure If I would recommend the Buff in 58-60" at your draw.62" will work in the Buff IMO at 30".I did not feel that I would want to go shorter than that at 30 inches draw.I would ask Jim though.Its best to talk to the bowyer.But you will get a lot of hands on reports and good opinions here.

The T-Child is gonna be fine in 56" or 58".

Big jim draws 30" and feels the 56" T-Child is fine for him.I feel the same.I never tried the 58" T-Child.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
Go to Jim's website and look through his Slideshow It'll blow your mind.You think your confused now!LOL
I couldn't decide either so I bought both his workmanship is beyond words and a better person you won't find.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
I love my thunderchild and draw 31 with a 56" bow . You won't go wrong with either one though. Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. I like darker woods but I want a little contrast. I might break down and try a 58"r I dont know yet.

Thanks again, Jason

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
I have had both and still have the TC. It's a 58 incher and shoots like a dream. The Buff was a great bow, but the TC is the one for me. I think they are a toss up in the looks category. It would be best if you could shoot both before deciding.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
Big Jim's suppose to call me sometime this weekend. I'll find out all the details then. I think he was out huntin hogs or settin up his huntin spot she said. Must be rough!  :D  

Jason

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Jason, I have the TC 58" and am confident your 30" draw won't be a problem.  If I bought another TC I would buy a 56" for my 28" draw.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
I believe the TC has more reflex/deflex. Big Jim has a 30" or better draw length and he shoots I believe a 54"or 56" TC.

Good luck either one will do it.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Totally different concepts. Buffalo is a moderate r/d and it at it's best with a bow length that begins with the number 6. (60"-66").
Thunderchild has a heavily deflexed riser, allowing for a shorter bow, and at it's best with a length that begins with the number 5. (54"-58").

Large James shoots a 56" TC, and pulls it to 30.5"
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Talked to Jim earlier and he said perty much what BWD said. He shoots a 56 TC with aa 30.5" draw and said I would have no problem with a 58 TC at my 30"and draw. So hopefully gonna drop a deposit in a couple weeks. Now just gotta do some thinkin on woods and such. Hows the medium grip on these bows?

Thanks again for the help, Jason

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
I shoot a Buffalo and love it. But I seem to like a long long bow.

But I've shot a TC and enjoyed it.

You did the best thing. Talk to Large.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©