3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Disadvantages??  (Read 259 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
Disadvantages??
« on: January 20, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
What disadvantages do I face having a short draw length.?
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Disadvantages??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
I would think if you had a bow made say 50#@your short draw. you may need to do some strength training. other than that I would say your sleeves would be to long.Just kidden.I dont see a draw back unless you want one
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
I've got a 25" draw and lpcjon2 pretty much has it right. All the long sleeve shirts I buy have the sleeves too long.
Seriously, no drawback. You just have to keep in mind that a bow with the weight marked at 28" is going to be less at your draw and go from there.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
On some bows that are 64" and longer you may find that you are just in the bows "powerstroke". My daughter found that out with a 68" longbow that would shoot ok at her 25" draw but if she short drew at all due to shot angle, position, or fatigue the arrow barely left the bow. We stick to 56-58 recurves and 60-62 hybreds and the bows perform much better for her............YMMV......
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
This has nothing to do with a bows length. We shorter drawing guys need to read the Force-Draw curve of a bow model for us. It will you show pretty quick if you're already in the comfortable zone or still in the pre-load area.
With draws under 26, bow performance goes down faster than between 28-26. See discussion on bow performance on dryad ACS recurve site. I draw around 25-25.5" and like to shoot bows in the 63-70# weight range at 26". Our advantage is, that our arrows are easier to keep straight, because they're shorter and "bends" in the shafts will do less to us as to someone drawing 32". If you shoot aluminum or carbon, this is not a big concern.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
If one has a 26" draw and wants a 45# bow, I think it's wiser to order a custom bowyer to build a 45# @ 26" bow instead of buying a production made bow where the bow has to be 50# @ 28" to get the 45# poundage you really want. I'm betting the performance is better with the custom made bow over the production made bow.

In other words, make the bow fit you instead of you trying to fit into the bow.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Shorter draws mean less cast. An arrow shot from a 50 pound bow at 26" is not going to have the "umpf" as an arrow shot from a 50 pound bow at 28". That being said, you can pretty much count on a quick and easy tune of your set up and good arrow flight. You simply will not have the arrow spine issues that longer drawing shooters experience.. which could equate to greater accuracy for you.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Shorter draw means the arrow isn't going to absorb as much of the bows energy....this means less cast. It isn't just about losing poundage from shorter draw. If you have two theoretical  bows that are identical except one is 50@31 and the other is 50@26, the 31" bow is going to outperform the 26".

I have a fairly short draw too. You just have to work with it.

Scott
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Oops. Bucksbouy beat me to it. Lol
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »
I notice alot of trad folks who are over bowed and short draw. That is they do not get the shooting arm elbow back in line with the bow arm. When I first started shooting a stickbow , it was a 62lb straight limb longbow. I drew about 26.5" and shot ok but nothing to write home about. this was back in the late 80's so not much info or trad shooters to help. Eventually I ran into some real good shooters who told me right away that I was short drawing. I tried one of their lighter wt bows and was amazed how I could really expand my draw and my accuacy improved alot as well. Another thing is I was getting just as good if not better performance from the 45lb bow as my 62lber. My draw now is 28.5 and I usually hunt with 50lbs.

this may have nothing to do with your situation but it sure seemed to be the case for me. I'm 5'11 and I see guys all the time who are taller than me and say they draw 27". just food for thought. good shooting Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
I'm a true 26" draw.  I agree completely with batman's comments above.  I have occasion to come into contact with a lot of archers learning to shoot. If you'll forgive me a moment, with compounds beginners are often under-drawn and many veterans are over-drawn. With traditional equipment it seems that many in both categories are under-drawn. I'm sure this is because most are shooting, or learned to shoot with a bow that is more than they can comfortably get to full draw.

I think my short draw is an advantage in many ways.  One way is that when I'm "sneaking" the arrow to full-draw on a deer, I have a 2" shorter trip!  I've also been known to scavenge end-damaged arrows from folks with long-draws!

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
I think my short draw is an advantage in many ways.  One way is that when I'm "sneaking" the arrow to full-draw on a deer, I have a 2" shorter trip!  I've also been known to scavenge end-damaged arrows from folks with long-draws!
:biglaugh:  LOL! I like your way of thinking!

Mike

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
The average draw is 28 inches. That means for every person drawing over 28 there should be one drawing under 28.
It not a handicap- just the way it is.
What batman said is very true.
SL

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
Don't know of disadvantages, find your true draw length, buy a bow configured for that length, in a weight that is comfortable for you to manage, and build your arrows to match, then go shoot and have fun.
We only have disadvantages if we perceive them to be disadvantages.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Night Wing:
If one has a 26" draw and wants a 45# bow, I think it's wiser to order a custom bowyer to build a 45# @ 26" bow instead of buying a production made bow where the bow has to be 50# @ 28" to get the 45# poundage you really want. I'm betting the performance is better with the custom made bow over the production made bow.

In other words, make the bow fit you instead of you trying to fit into the bow.
I'm not a bowyer but I would think the limbs are the same for one who draws 26" and one who draws 30" for each particular length. If you want a limb to maximize performance with a shorter draw then go to a shorter limb/riser combo so it uncoils faster.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
A short draw means less performance, no matter who's bow you are shooting. MY wife has a short draw so I have over 35 years dealing with short draw bows. All of her bows are 5-8 lb heavier than the bows I shoot. Don't ever tell your buddies your wife shoots a heavier bow than you do.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
It's a kick to watch long time archers who claim to have xx draw.  Without being too obvious you watch and many of them have 2-3 inches sticking out on release.   You ask how long their arrows are and they should be nearly touching the riser with the broadhead or field tip.

Mention it and they start drawing what they advertise:   For a while.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
Disadvantage??? It is what it is for each person...if your draw is 24" ,that's what you have to work with. Work with a bowyer to get the best working limb you can and live with it. You can't change it, unless your form is really bad and then if you fix it you will only gain 1-2 inches ...maybe. I know a couple of guys who have great form and are excellent shots and they both draw 25'-26". Just work with what you are blessed with and have fun!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pepper:
Don't know of disadvantages, find your true draw length, buy a bow configured for that length, in a weight that is comfortable for you to manage, and build your arrows to match, then go shoot and have fun.
We only have disadvantages if we perceive them to be disadvantages.
X2
You do lose some power stroke with a short draw length...and there isn't anyway to get that back unless you can work on getting a longer draw.

If you are already shooting with good form and are just plain maxed out with a shorter draw look into some of our custom bowyers that will taylor the limbs to shoot more efficiently at a short draw.

Bigfoot and Eagle wing bows come to mind.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline kevgsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
You will lose some performance as said, but it's not all bad. you got lots of options.

Having a 32" draw there is very few bows I can even shoot...forget about short bows need 62-64 well designed recurves at min. Arrows....good luck! selection in a 33" shaft is VERY slim. No cutting  to tune either, you have to make it work full length. That why I shoot a plunger and flipper rest, to play with center shot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©