3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bemans Classic MFX arrow and broadhead choice help  (Read 304 times)

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
Bemans Classic MFX arrow and broadhead choice help
« on: January 21, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »
My bow is 54# at my 31" draw length.  
It is 1/8 off center
I am not sure which arrow and tip combo I should get. I want to be able to unscrew the tip and put in a broadhead.
So should I get the 340 or 400 or 500 and what tip weight.
another question what Broadhead do you guys suggest.
Thanks
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bemans Classic MFX arrow and broadhead choice help
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 01:02:00 AM »
I would think the 400 spine would do the trick, and I would get a field point test kit and play with those first. The test kit comes with 125,145,175,200 and 250 grain field points. I almost forgot to ask what inserts are you using the standard ones or the brass 50gr or 75 grain. Thats going to make a difference on the spine of shaft you need to. If you like heavy points than you might want to buy the MFX test kit and play around with point weights and insert weights, just dont use the expoxy until you find out what combo your bow likes. I think if it was me I would order both test kits and go from there its alot cheaper than buying shafts that dont spine right for your bow. Just my opinion, i just got some MFX shafts too I really like them so far
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 01:47:00 AM »
I would go with the 340's. My Shrew is 55# at 28". I pull just a tad over 28" and it tunes great with the standard aluminum insert, 31.25" and 250 grain head.

Ishiwannabe shoots a similar set up and his 340's are a bit shorter and he shoots 250 grains on top of the 75 grain insert.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
Do you have broadheads already? You may be able to save yourself some money and work with them by starting at that end.

400's should be the right shaft if you have less weight up front, but with more weight, where as the 340's and more weight left longer would also work.
We also sell test kits of shafts and points or half doz sets of shafts.
thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »
I'm with big jim. I like to pick my broahead and build arrow with that head/weight in mind. I have also found VPA sells the best variety of head weights and it doesn't hurt that they are an awesome head.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
Last year I switched to the mfx 400 for elk hunting. My bow has similar specs as your, 53#.

I left them full length, used the 75 grain brass inserts & shot the 150 Magnus stingers. They fly better than any arrow I have used.  

My arrow shot right thru a bull and went ten yards beyond. I like the combination of heavy-ish arrow & the small diameter, I`m sold on them for hunting.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
From my experience .340's are going to be way too stiff unless you really load up the front end and leave them long. I have a 54# recurve cut 3/16" past center and a 62# recurve cut to center. I have a set of 340's Trad only shafts that are full length with 100 grain inserts and even with a 250 grain head they are too stiff. I like to cut my arrows at 29" and I have a set of MFX .500's both with standard and 75 grain inserts and both shoot well with 125 and 150 grain heads out of both bows.

All that being said my next set will be MFX 400's with 300-350 grains up front.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Claym

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
You're going to love the mfx's. I shoot the same draw weight as you only at 28in. I went with the 400's cut to 28 3/4in with a 50 grain insert and 175 grain WW elite/VPA. Right around 560 grains total arrow weight and man do they pack a wallop! I started with them full length and wasn't expecting to have to cut them so short, but I think it was due the combination of the smaller diameter bringing them closer to center(my shelf is 1/8 from center) and switching to an SBD 8 strand sting.

Good luck with your tuning!
-Clay

Offline Tomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
The 400 shaft is a stiff shaft, I found it too stiff for my 50# bow. With your draw length the 400 would be a good choice. I would use a full length arrow and a 75gr. insert and a 175-200gr. tip or broadhead.

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
Thanks guys
I will go with the 400's
I have not got my broadheads yet. I got a 50. Cabellas gift card I need to use. That should get me 3
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©