3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Don Adams bows??  (Read 325 times)

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
Don Adams bows??
« on: January 21, 2012, 01:38:00 AM »
Any body own/shot a Don Adams bow? I just go a used spine tester, and went on is web site to get more info on the how to use it and saw the bows he offer and they look really good, but not much infos on them!?!?

I guess I could always call him to get more info, but I thought I would try to see if any one had a chance to use the bow in the field??

Any feed back would be welcome!
Thank you

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Don Adams bows??
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:55:00 AM »
Top of the line bows. Vey well tillered and finished,true works of art.
The last one I shot was an 85# ELB made from Yew and it was a dream. Smooth and hard hitting,whisper quiet and zero thump in the hand.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »
What Chuck said x 2.

Leo Markert has an all Osage with one lamb of Black Glass.  Dare you to find a prettier price of Osage or a better shooting bow.  

Plus, I think he is willing to sell it.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
Here's a 75# Don Adams Yew bow

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
Ron,
It looks like you're dyeing your beard and hair again??  :eek:  

Wasn't it Don Adams who I read about 40 years ago in Bow and Arrow or Archery magazine that was trying to build up to break Howard Hills 172# bow pulling record???
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Nice Ron, How many different bows have you killed critters with?

Matt, I have never seen one with the glass on it,BUT! I have an ELB that a friend from Canada made for me that is curly osage,all 79" of it. 70#@31
Now hat did I do with Leo's number????

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Don made me an osage flat bow in 1981, it was 83# @ 28". I killed a nice buck with it before it broke. Don used a fine grain osage and didn't follow the grain on the back. He backed it with clarified calf skin like he always did on his yew bows and thought it would hold....it didn't. He replaced it with a 90# osage bow backed with black glass. That bow kicked like a mule and I sold it after a few years. It'd be hard to find a man today that was left handed and wanted a bow that heavy.

Don made great English style yew wood bows but he didn't know how to follow the grain on osage.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
So are these bow self bow, no glass or lamination?? They sure look good! How long a bow like that is expected to last in hunting condition?

Thank you guys, for the info.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
Don is best known for his Yew Self bows in the English style. No glass. With proper care, they should last a lifetime. IMO

Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=112037

Here is the TG link to pictures of the Glass Backed Don Adams. Beautiful osage bow with black glass.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=112037

Here is the TG link to pictures of the Glass Backed Don Adams. Beautiful osage bow with black glass.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©