3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Hog Heaven thread  (Read 283 times)

Offline CV

• Trad Bowhunter
Another Hog Heaven thread
« on: January 21, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
Four years ago I made the switch to traditional only bow hunting. Since then I have learned a lot reading threads here on TG. Now my days are not complete if I haven't at least scanned the Pow Wow section of TG for new posts. I just sent my member contribution check in to Terry to start supporting TG, and I just booked a hunt at Hog Heaven with Ray.

Here's my setup. DAS Dalla 17" RH riser with Standard grip. Dryad Epic longbow limbs with bamboo cores, 50# at my 28.5" draw length. T-300 rest with a DAS shorty plunger. Two tie on nocks 3/8" above 90 degrees. Even tiller. I shoot 3 under with a Black Widow 3 under leather tab. My arrow is Beamon ICS bowhunter .500 spine at 30.25" with a wrap and 3 RH 5" shield cut feathers. My broadhead is a 250 grain 3 blade VPA Terminator. I use a 4 arrow EFA strap on bow quiver.  I have 4 home made wool puff string silencers on the string. The string is a 3 bundle 18 strand FF string. Comments and suggestions from the experienced hog hunters of TG would be greatly appreciated.

I do plan on picking Ray's brain on a few fine points since this is my first hog hunt. I have some 250 grain left single bevel Tusker Concord broadheads that I can use instead of the VPA heads. I have arrows with left wing feathers for them. I shoot them equally well in the back yard, but I hunted all fall with the VPAs and I am more comfortable with them. Also, I have a Safari Tuff side quiver. Would I be better off with it vs my bow quiver so I can carry more arrows and navigate the thicker brush more easily?

I'm headed to SC Feb. 24 to 26 with a buddy. I have tried to fill the roster with friends and family without success. If anyone would like to knock the ice off of the winter blues with us, Ray still has a few open slots this weekend. The more the merrier, so give him a call. With any luck in a few weeks I will be studying the "How to post Pictures" tutorial and sharing Hero Pics about our hunt. Sorry about the long post. Thanks for reading.

CV

Re: Another Hog Heaven thread
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
wow, you been registered since 08.....and i thought i was the quiet type. ha!

goodluck .

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
Your set up is good. Have a great time and don't forget the camera.
That bowstring will come in handy if you need to tow something really heavy!   :laughing:    :laughing:  
You could eliminate two of the silencers and 10 strands from that string by ordering an SBD string-you will have to re tune a little because your set up will be so much more efficient-see; I wanted to avoid using the "S" word-the old guys get agitated.
Shoot your arrows and check the flight by paper tuning or bareshafting-either will work. You can adjust your tune with the plunger.  Broadhead and quiver choice is up to you-carrying 4-5 arrows is plenty. Have fun!!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
You are only 1 month away from your hunt so i would not change a thing on you set up, if you pull the bow quiver off it could change things, if you want to carry more arrows take both. Im sure Ray will give you the info on the hogs there but here is a tip or two.

Shot placement. When broad side, straight up the leg and center mass.

You can SOMETIMES get away with a little movement.
You can SOMETIMES get away with a little noise.
But you will NEVER beat their nose.

If they are alert, all standing very still, head up you will not get away with any of the above.

Have a blast and now that we know about the hunt you will owe us pics when you get back   :readit:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Your set up is great.I would agree with Bjorn,the only thing I would change is the string.I will say it,put a 8 strand(skinny) string with 1 set of silencers.You will be surprised how much quicker your bow shoots.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline CV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
Thanks for all the comments everyone. It sounds like I may be leaving too much performance on the table with my choice of string. I will definitely try a skinny string after the hunt. I was trying to get my point on distance as close to 20 yards as possible and my bow really quiet. If I can flatten my trajectory and keep everything else equal, I'll relearn my gaps.

I appreciate the hunting tips as well. I think I have read every hog hunting thread on TG, but I need to hear it over and over so it is second nature come crunch time.

CV

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
Make sure you have one of those little bottles of corn starch you can puff up to see the wind. They can really smell good even though they smell so bad.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
Ray is a great person and a wonderful host. You will have a memorable time in some beautiful country. Your set up sounds great.

Have fun, and move slowly. And the puff bottle idea is highly recommended. The wind direction changes often at Hog Heaven and you need to check the wind a lot.

Good luck.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
the only thing I can say is Practice with  a Broadhead so if your going to stick with VPA's get get another pack and use one for practice, when I was at Rays he had a broadhead target to practice on and thats all I shot all weekend was broadheads.
"Us vs Them"

Offline flungonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
CV, Hey didn't know you were in the same neck of the woods. Your set up sounds like it will work. Improvements can be made when you get back. A couple of things though. Make sure your  broadheads are as sharp as possible and practice, practice, practice. Know the kill zone and the best angle to take the shot. PM'd you

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
CV

You will be at Ray's the weekend before me, save a few hogs for us!

This will be our 4th trip to Hog Heaven. Two tips come to mind.

First, listen to what Ray tells you and then do it.

Second, travel as light as possible. Leave the bow quiver on but ditch the second quiver. You don't need back packs stuffed with gear either. Keep it simple and light. All you need is water, a knife, bow and arrows. Anything else will weigh you down after several hours in the pine thickets and swamps. Every time I go there I figure how to hunt even lighter next time.

I make sure I have a flashlight on evening hunts. I returned back to camp in the dark one time without a light. Let's just say the sound of fighting boars in the pitch dark can make for some quick steps!

Have fun, and remember: In the swamp, no one can hear you scream!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline CV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
This is great guys, just what I was hoping for. Keep those tips coming. I'm paying attention - carry a puff bottle and a flashlight, practice with broadheads, know your anatomy, travel light and listen to Ray. I got it. Believe me, I have studied Terry's hog shot placement and shield clip post. This forum is great.

Now someone needs to call Ray and sign up for the Feb. 24 to 26 weekend so I can get some first person coaching (in addition to Ray's).

CV

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 07:34:00 AM »
If you get on a group of pigs and the wind is right, move quickly and quietly as you can. remember, the pigs are makeing noise too. The wind will switch back and forth often. That was what kept getting me busted the first few times I got on pigs. You got to be aggressive. have fun. It was a really dry year and acorns dropped early. I was down in that area week or two ago. corn was king. not much happening in the swamps. good luck. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
One thing I really like (thanks to Benjy) is a lighted nock.  Not to necessarily to see the arrow flight but to find the arrow in the dark and hopefully pick up the blood trail a little easier. They do like to come in at late light.

This is old boy was probably runnin' around Ray's place before straying a little far North just a few weeks ago  :)

Long video but this is very close to where you are hunting!

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee98/Benjy45/TradGang/?action=view¤t=MOV06581.mp4  

Good luck...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
CV

You will be at Ray's the weekend before me, save a few hogs for us!

This will be our 4th trip to Hog Heaven. Two tips come to mind.

First, listen to what Ray tells you and then do it.

Second, travel as light as possible.  
Well put. Ray knows his hogs and listen close to what he tells you.

Good info on the lighted nocks Tippit I just may have to invest in a few.

The only thing I would add would be take a compass along and be comfortable in it's operation. This was what helped me more than anything in getting comfortable working deep into the swamp.

Good luck and have a great time with Mike and Ray!

PS: Get to town early and eat at El Zarape's! Mexican food that is not to be missed and awesome sweet tea to boot!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline CV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
Thanks again for all the good info. The Bacon Stalk video was very helpful. My buddy and I have a fair amount of experience bowhunting deer in the swamps of SE Virginia (minus the alligators and feral hogs). The spot and stalk tips for hogs are of particular interest.

Question. I have a smart phone with the Cabelas Recon Hunt App. It has been very helpful on my Eastern KY and central VA hunting trips. I have Verizon service. Does anyone know if I'll have service at HH?

CV

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
I do too....mine didn't work there but yours might.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
If you are on a road stay to the side don't walk down the middle.take the first shot you get don't be picky on the pig .check your wind

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
My Verizon smarter than me phone did not work there!  GPS, compass, good lights, & toilet paper for tracking  :)  tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the initial post CV. And thanks to those who have offered up tips.

I'll be down there in middle March with Mike Vines and Todd Herndon, aka herndont. I'm not sure who the final two are as I think the spots may have changed hands since the St. Jude auction close.

Sounds like knowing the wind as best as possible, traveling light, and taking a flashlight are tops. And the tip about taking the first shot option. I tend to wait sometimes too long on deer and end up in worse shape than if I'd have pulled the string sooner.

Thanks again for the thread and responses.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©