3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thunderhead Broadheads  (Read 367 times)

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
Thunderhead Broadheads
« on: January 21, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
Anybody use this style broadhead out of their traditional bow?

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thunderhead Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
I don't think you'll see too many Thunderheads used with Trad Gear.  I used them with much success in my wheel bow years but this is a different game.  Cut on impact (with a heavy emphasis on two blade heads) is most common in my opinion.  It still boils down to getting a razor sharp, well tuned arrow in the right place but I would look to Abowyer, Grizzly, Stos and many other fine heads when shooting a recurve or longbow.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
I would recommend them if and only if you truly are incapable of sharpening a broadhead. However they will not perform as well as any cut on impact type heads. I prefer to use a long narrow 3 blade (VPA/Woodsman elite) for all of my hunting purposes.
James Kerr

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
There are still many archers using the Thunderheads as well as the original Muzzys. Some folks have a hard time sharpening more traditonal style heads; and the replaceable blade type heads are the ticket.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
I've seen quite a few post over the years with trad shooters using thunderheads with success. If I wanted a out of the package sharp broadheadhead I would go with Steel Force or muzzyphantoms though.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
Yeah, 3 years ago, shot a big doe with the 180 grain heads. Used a Black Locust selfbow, built by Gary Davis, and shot an 2117 alum arrow, too.

Yeah, I know that's not right, just had to give 'em a try!  Thunderheads are probably about the best modular heads made.

Black Widow, carried them in their catalogs over 20 years ago.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
I use 200 grain Phantoms. I've always heard good things about Thunderheads but the heaviest was 125. Now they make a 170grain which was made for big game and now is a big hit with the xbow people. I think these would good out of my longbow to.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
Mike Mitten used Thunderheads with great success, I PM'ed him about them when I read his book. He said they work will, that being said he shoots a heavy recurve with long heavy arrows. But I think he knows a thing or to about killing critters!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
They made BIG Thunderheads years ago, and I believe a 2 blade. They work, but there are better choices for trad gear.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
I shot a mature doe this fall using an Axis 500 shaft, 50 gr brass insert and a Thunderhead 125. I shot it with my DAS 48@27. The shot was 15 yards, complete passthrough. She ran 40 yards and tipped over.

I have shot quite a few others with similar results. I'm not saying they are the ultimate head for trad gear, but they do work great.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
I use 100 grain brass inserts behind my 200 grain Phantoms. I'm shooting 45@26. A 170grain wouldn't be much of a drop.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
The buck in my avatar was killed by a 100 grain Thunderhead on a Vapor shaft.  Bow was a Morrison, 51@29, complete pass through, he went 45 yards.
While I use VPA's now I wouldn't hesitate to use a Thunderhead out of a properly tuned setup.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Trad 4 life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
i use thunderheads they work like a champ!
NAP started building 175 grain 3 blade heads for crossbows inch and a 8th cutting they zip right through deer.
i have afew boxes of the old 150gn 2 blades i killed 2 deer and a fox with them this year and they are 1" and 3/8 cutting passed right through!
and both fly great and the tip is very narrow it should be considered a cut on contact the point is small and sharp..

USE'UM

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 02:09:00 AM »
Years back I found a huge aluminum arrow, a 2419, with a ball of dry deer hair on the end and one plastic vane missing. Under the dry ball of deer hair was a half bloody mop of deer hair, under that was an original Thunderhead.  I could see no blood in the area but the illegal permanent stand, public land, was obviously the source of its flight.  About three hundred yards down a deer trail through some prairie weeds on the edge of the public land, I found a doe shot through the lungs with the missing vane stuck in the fur at the entrance hole. No blood.  I do not know why the broadhead grabbed so much hair on the entrance, I use serrated Hills and that has never happened to me, but I do know that a broadhead coated with hair will not cut much and will not leave any blood trail, although it did blow through both lungs and eventually kill the deer.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
After giving my compound stuff away I was left with some extra Thunderhead 125. With 100 gr. inserts they do well at killin. There was always a common misunderstanding that the blades once dull were finished but to the contrary they were easy to restore to shave sharp on a good oilstone. Once my stock has been depleted I wont purchase any more but till then they will serve okay. Killed one hog and lost another with them. The hit pig was a pass through and expired at 10 yds. There is this less than traditional feel that I get from using them but one day they will be forever gone. Then I must decide on a replacement and with all I've read here I shouldn't have any problem.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
The new ones are called the Thunderhead Magnums and they are 170 grain. They also sell a matching 170 field point.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
The chisel tip on the Thunderhead/Muzzy has been a proven killer for years.

Although, as a compound convert who's killed a lot of deer with a Thunderhead, I'd steer clear of a "regular" Thunderhead with lower weight bows.

However, there is a cut on contact Thunderhead in 100 and 125gr that is a fantastic 3 blade, if one wants a 3 blade.
Take a look...
 http://www.newarchery.com/products/1-18/broadheads/thunderhead-xp.html

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
Bob, I know cut on contact are supposed to be better out of lower weight bows (45 for me) but the chisel tip is only a 1/4" long and then you are at the cutting blade. I don't see how that 1/4" makes a differance.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Someone did a demo years ago with animal hide and various broadheads, and a scale measuring how much force it takes to penetrate that hide. Replicate the demo and find out for yourself if that 1/4" makes a difference, or if the cut on contact makes a difference on how efficient your set-up will be with either head. Let us know what you find out.  :thumbsup:  No one is saying that the Thunderhead WON't work or that it CAN't work, that has already been proven that it WILL work. Is it the BEST choice?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
I saw that demo, it was done by Paul Brunner, It made sense. The only difference that I saw was the fact even though it took more force to get the replaceable blade head thru the hide than the 2 blade, there is a big differance between holding a hide and putting pressure on and an arrow going 140-180 fps. I like 2 blades ,but I would use a Muzzy or a Thunderhead anytime.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©