3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Educate me on Black Widows  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
Educate me on Black Widows
« on: January 21, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
Black Widow is a premium recurve I haven't tried yet.  I'm thinking it might be time to correct that.  Winter seems like a good time to watch the classifieds...    :thumbsup:  

I look at the website and see the PMA, PSA, and PCH.  Are the limbs on the different models all the same?  From the pictures it looks like the difference between models is in the riser and sight window length.  Any other differences between the three?  I'd be interested in a bow in the 60" - 64" range.  I draw about 29".  I can't find any specifications on the sight.  

For a nice all around BW recurve what do you recommend?  I read so much about BW recurves it's time to see for myself.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Educate me on Black Widows
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
I`ve owned both ma and sa models as well as a pl longbow. All great bows and no complaints.I would like another sa if I ran across a real cheap one....RC

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
I am like you have never shot one but interested,heading to Kazoo this week to finaly try one,A LEFTY ,none of my buddies are shooting correctly!!
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
What is an MA and SA...without the "P".  Assume I know nothing about Black Widow recurves other than reputation.

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
The limbs will not interchange. That being said I love my one piece PTF. 62" 57@29
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, the MA,PA are before percision machine.
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
The older Ma and Sa where not made on a cnc machine so swapping limbs out with them was a little more difficult. Widows are great bows. If I ever buy a custom recurve it will be a Widow. Their longbows are some of the best as well.
James Kerr

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
Easykeeper, yes the risers are different lengths; giving each a different size sight window. The PMA has a 18" riser, PSA has a 16" riser, and the PCH has a 14" riser. Because of this the limbs are not interchangable between models. Black Widow has recomendations for your draw length, you can choose a longer bow for slightly more comfort in shooting. Or a shorter bow for ease of manuverability. I can't recomend an all around BW, as they are great bows. I'm curently shooting a 56" SAX. Just love this bow. They do have a test drive program. Hope this helps.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
The PTF is one racy looking bow.  I usually prefer one piece bows too, but the classic Black Widow seems to be a take down.  

Does the strong deflection in the riser give the bow any unique characteristics?  Definitely a different animal than the three-piece models.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
Just like any other bow, you have to shoot it to see if you like it. I think they are quality bows. I personally have another fovored brand, but I am going to give one of their 3 piece takedowns a try at K-Zoo for the heck of it. I am not a huge fan of the one piece recurve I have had the opportunity to shoot. I have been wondering if I might like the 3 piece better. Looks like we will both be giving them a try.

Good luck and shoot straight!

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
Actually my SAX is a curent CNC built bow. I ordered it with out the phenolic limb butts, making it a SAX rather than a PSAX.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
Jim that's good information.  Just the kind I'm looking for.

What is an SAX?  I don't see that one on the website.  I have a catalog on order, hopefully it is more informative than the website.

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
Yes, the catalog is more informative than the website. I think it's their best catalog to date.

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
MA=maple anniversary
SA=silver anniversary
11=greybark
111=autumn oak
v-ironwood
x=exotic

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
You can still get SA or Ma or CH made today.  They are made on the cnc machine just like the others but do not have the phonlic wedge in the limbs.
  The ptf and psa feel the same on draw.  Ptf just being a lighter mass bow.  Both always shoot good around 8.5" brace.  Which is why I always liked widows there brace height and mass weight makes a very forgiving bow.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
Charlie - I need to try a Black Widow just to see what they're all about.  There are so many nice bows out there half the fun of this stickbow thing is trying them out.  If I had to take one bow with me to the grave it would be my Blacktail, but I'd shed many a tear for the nice bows I left behind...

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by sleepyhollow:
MA=maple anniversary
SA=silver anniversary
11=greybark
111=autumn oak
v-ironwood
x=exotic
I have to say their nomenclature is really confusing.  Thanks for this, I love fancy wood so X for me.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
That's why shows like the one in K-Zoo are a good time. You get to shoot 40 different types of bows. Always a good time!

:archer2:    

I usually come home with sore shoulders!

My gotta shoot 'em list this year includes;
1. Black Widow 3 pice takedown
2. Zipper's new longbow
3. ACS longbow
4. Another Timberhawk
5. Tall Tines

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
I have shot and owned a LOT of bows and I keep going back to my PMAII.  I just LOVE the big open site picture on that riser.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
If you go to the BW site ,pick a model then scroll down there will the recommended draw lengths listed . Each model will have that list for that model. I have had a MA, PSA, SBS [short black stick : early PSR] and have shot 2 or 3 PCH's. I think the PCH is the best. Great bows ....fantastic customer service. There are always used ones around at fair prices......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©