3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Educate me on Black Widows  (Read 1323 times)

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Educate me on Black Widows
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
I had both PMA, and a PCH, both were good, but as you can see, I'm a longbow guy, and they do make a good one! You will be happy with either bow
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
First thing, they have a " try before you buy" program soyou can shoot one at home and not be out any more than shipping, and that will be applied to your purchase if you decide to take the plunge.

There's lots of threads about whether they're worth the money, but the standard models are not much more expensive than many other high quality bows.

I own a PCH III, which is the Autumn Oak model. It's plain Jane but I love it. Asbell grip (see the website or catalog for grip descriptions).

If you really look at their construction you will see why they have the reputation for being "bomb-proof". Lots of fiberglass in the riser and even the exotic models have the chunk of wood laminated.

All that being said, they are not the fastest bow out there, and the importance of that will continue to be debated.

All I know is that I am more accurate with my Widow than with any other bow that I've shot.

Other guys.with more experience will chime in, but this relative newbie will stick with my Widows.
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
The ma has a longer riser than the sa. On the older ones I had anyway. Good shooting,RC.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
Here's a pic of limbs from a PCH, SA and MA. The PCH is a 58" bow the SA is a 60" bow and the MA is a 62" bow. The working length of the limb is the same on all three bows. The difference is in the length of the butt of the limb to fit the sight window. I draw 30" and all three are smooth at my draw length. The SA and MA I bought new from Widow in the mid 90's and still have them. They added the "P" when they went to CNC equipment to duplicate the risers the same, time after time in 2002. Prior to 2002 they were done by hand. CNC stands for "Computer Numerical Control". You can input offsets into the lathe and reproduce riser after riser to the same dimensions. The "P" bows have "Precision Crafted" on them vs "Hand Crafted" prior to CNC. The "P" signifies Precision and not Phenolic. Hope this helps.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Have owned a PSA that was nice.

Own a 58" PCH that impresses me at my 28" draw. Surprised me that I am able to shoot so competently since I am such a staunch longer bow fan.

Would have to believe that the 60" PCH would cause me to raise the bar of expectations.

Note: The PCH still has plently of heft and for some reason is noticeably faster than my previous PSA. Blacky's report substantiates my speed comment.

Be sure to know your grip preference.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
I draw 31" with my PSAV, and the bow is 60" and it feel great! I think it would be a great all around bow! I love the feel of it, it shoot great and where I look! Mine is like, I said, a PSA V 60" 46#@28 made in 09, I got it in the classified for a great deal, and it was in great shape, like new, I don't even think that any arrows when true it... I'm really happy.

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
I've had several MAs, one LAG and one PSA. I liked the PSA and LAG the best. They are a well made solid bow but a couple of other bows suit me better. If I ever get another Widow it will be used, there are plenty of good deals out there on them.

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
I have shot them all and owned a PSA and a PCH.  For me, the CH was the best fit.  I liked the smaller riser and less mass weight, short sight window doesn't matter to me.  I currently only have longbows but that new one piece KB, which is the CH in a one piece, looks very nice and would be even lighter than my previous bow.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Greybark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
Hey Easykeeper , I have a PTFX and just love it . The riser weight is lighter than other models and helps my damaged shoulder .
   The PTFs have smooth lines like some of the  older gems .
   You may be able to see it on the BW site and go back five pages to - Greybarks New Widow .
   Cheers from the West Coast of Canada...

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
Great information, really appreciate the input.  Black Widow seems to have a pretty diverse product line.  Plus the fact they've been around forever and trying to keep up with the evolution of the models.

I'm liking the looks of the PMA or PSA, but the PTF has a certain appeal too.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
Owned many widows but all where MA's.
I perferred the pre-CNC limb design.Seem to be a tad bit smoother and had launch feel I like.

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
If you like one piece bows you should try the PA. I currently have a SA and a PSA. But I've owned a TF and a PA, wish I still had the PA. You also may like the Asbell grip.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
I have owned and still do own many widows. I really like the heft of the riser plus the higher brace height on the PMA and PSA. Recommended BH goes up to 9". Even the PCH is up around 8.5". It makes for a very forgiving bow.
I even bought an older SA before CNC machining. I sent it back to be remachined to accept the newer CNC limbs.  
Not the fastest, but no slouch either.
Very well mannered bows.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
I think Widows are very good shooting and feeling bows.  I have PSAIII, PAX, PCHX.  My draw is shorter than yours at 26".  Personally, I like the appearance and feel of the one-piece best (PA). I have a couple of bows that I prefer over the Widows but it is a slight preference.  

The only thing I've found to complain about Widows is how easy it is to twist a limb when stringing. I use stringers and I'm very careful when stringing. It is just as easy to take the twist out of the limb though.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
Do yourself a big favor. Call the folks at Black Widow.Tell them what you like as to your shooting style. Recurves or longbow. Recurves they have 3 different 3 piece takedowns and 4 different style 1 pieces.Only 1 longbow.They also have a test drive program. Talk to Toby or Roger. Get a free catalog too.It can save you alot of money.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
Thanks for all the great info, looking forward to getting the catalog.  I think I'll give them a call and check out the test drive program.  

I'll also be cruising the classifieds with an eye on the BW adds, as well as always watching for one piece Blacktails, Silvertips, and Dyes.

Offline Roots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
Enjoy these info threads. Been shooting for 30+ yrs, about the only bow I have never owned.

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »
Tod, go down to the Waterloo expo in March. I believe that Blackwidow will be there and you can see, handle,and shoot all ot their models as well as talk to the Blackwidow folks.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
I just picked up a BW PAX in Curley Bubinga off the Atalk classified section and it is an amazing bow. I had a PSR, PTF and a PSAX, and the PAX to me is the best of the bunch.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Yellow Dog:
They added the "P" when they went to CNC equipment to duplicate the risers the same, time after time in 2002. Prior to 2002 they were done by hand. CNC stands for "Computer Numerical Control". You can input offsets into the lathe and reproduce riser after riser to the same dimensions. The "P" bows have "Precision Crafted" on them vs "Hand Crafted" prior to CNC. The "P" signifies Precision and not Phenolic. Hope this helps.

The "P" may stand for precision.  But you can get a SA made today.  It will still be made on the cnc but it just doesnt have the phonlic in the limb wedge.  So wouldnt it make more sense for the "P" to stand for phonlic?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©