3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Comparison: anyone shot a Thunderchild and a Super Shrew?  (Read 246 times)

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Comparison: anyone shot a Thunderchild and a Super Shrew?
« on: January 21, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
After a few years of shooting, I'm settled on my style, and bow preferences, and looking at ordering my first "custom" bow. These two mentioned look very similar: forward grip, made in a 58", contoured locator grip, highly efficient R/D design, fine craftsmanship.
Does anyone have experience with shooting both? Differences in feel/performance, etc?
Thanks for looking...

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Comparison: anyone shot a Thunderchild and a Super Shrew?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
I have two 54" Shrews and a 54" Thunderchild.

Love all. The Thunderchild is more like a recurve in that it is more curved back against the grain,(more Reflex/deflex), a more hybrid bow than the Shrew which is a hybrid bow also) so to speak. They are both great bows. You need to handle them or you will end up like me buying too many and later settling on what I like best.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
I have shot and owned both. The Shrew fits ME better than the Thunderchild. Both great bows with excellent workmanship. I second the 'try them both if at all possible' method.

One thing I have noticed even with my full 28" draw is that I like the shorter bows better. I have two Shrews and a McCullough and the 56" Shrew shoots better for me. (The others are 60 and 62 respectively.)
Romans 8:28

Offline floodman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
Go with a Big Jim,Or a McCullough..They will take Care of you after the sale..

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
If you are looking at those two bows you might want to look at the Caribow wolverine..... I just got one and its a sweet bow 58" forward grip. and the grip on this bow is the best I have seen....
Gary Gentry
Cari-bow Wolverine T/D 62@28

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 01:29:00 AM »
You might want to look at the Shrew Classic Hunter in 56" as well.It has a 12 inch riser like the T-child.The Super Shrew is 16" I believe?

I have had the Classic Hunter and T-child both in 56".I draw 30 inches.Both are really nice shooting and smooth for short bows!Both have a good working limb for the length with the short risers.The limbs have a different design so thier not at all clones

I think you would be best served to try both before deciding if possible.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
"You might want to look at the Shrew Classic Hunter in 56" as well.It has a 12 inch riser like the T-child.The Super Shrew is 16" I believe?

I have had the Classic Hunter and T-child both in 56".I draw 30 inches.Both are really nice shooting and smooth for short bows!Both have a good working limb for the length with the short risers.The limbs have a different design so thier not at all clones

I think you would be best served to try both before deciding if possible."

Good feedback, Steelhead. Unfortunately, There's no way for me to try any of the bows
around here (far northern Vermont), which is why I'm looking for help from you guys. I've thought about the Classic Hunter also, I draw 27" so I figure I'll have no problem with any of the bows. I do like a bow to be a little on the forgiving side, so I'd  probably opt for a size a little longer, rather than shorter.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 09:38:00 AM »
All of the bows mentioned are made by excellent bowyers and all will service you.  If you are unable to try the bows personally either at a shop or at a shoot, then work with a bowyer or dealer you feel the most comfortable with.  I understand your dilemna as it is very hard or sometimes impossible to test shoot some bows.  So, you might also try asking each bowyer if you can return the bow if you do not like it.  Another option is to look at a used one from somewhere.  Again, ask if you can return the bow if you are not satisfied with it.  Once you start talking with some of these folks, likely one will impress you more than another.  Having confidence in your bowyer / dealer adds to your confidence in you shooting your chosen weapon.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
I have shot both and own a thunderchild , you won't go wrong with either .
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
SBJ~I have never shot a Thunderchild, but am on the list for a shrew.  The one thing I can say is the Shrew has an UNBELIEVABLE grip! "Like a glove" doesn't do it justice.  Its one of those have to feel it to believe it.  Big Jim is putting out some of the best looking bows around no doubt; but Gregg's work is incredible also.  That would be the only thing to stop me from ordering a TC is not knowing how the grip feels in my hand.  Don't know if I have helped, but the grip, in my opinion, is a huge variable to consider.  Maybe you can ask either if you can test drive an "on hand model" like black widow does???

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Elflanders, thanks for reminding me of a very good point. That's been on my mind, as well. And you may be getting a call for some strings!

Longbow, the grip is one of the main reasons I lean toward a Shrew. Currently shooting a Selway Lil Mag, and the grip seems mighty similar... I'm amazes how much the hand placement helps with consistency. Left a message once with Mr. LaClair about a "demo" to try, haven't heard back. I do like that idea; I'll try again with an email on that one, and give Big Jim a call also.

Pow Duck - I looked at info on the McCullough's recently, but didn't see anything in a shorter bow. Also a little shy of the sort of wait time I'd be looking at with one of John's bows.

Great feedback, all. Much appreciated!

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
I'm sure Greg will custom make his grip to your likeing as long as it is feasable with his design as will I and probably most any other bowyer.
I do offer test drives, but don't have any bows to send out unless your left handed.
I also offer free adjustment, replacement, or refund on my bows too.

Thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Well stated Jim.  We rarely have bows to test either.  We will have several at Kalamazoo though.  

Gregg
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
I have a few Shrews and love them, some day would like to shoot a Big Jim.
Floodman  sounds as if you had issues with service with your Shrews , Sorry to hear that,  Ron and Gregg have been top notch on there service and always stand behind there equipment!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
Thats a big problem these days, just too many great bows to choose from and Boyers that will do anything they can to build you the bow you want. Makes for a tough decision.  :D  

Eric

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
Slowbow, shot a shrew and it was a nice, nice bow. Never shot a T/C, but as was said the design is similar. When you talk about "feel" my guess is that you could blindfold a dozen guys who have shot both and they wouldnt be able to CONSISTENTLY tell you what bow they shot. When you say "performance" im wondering if you mean speed?? if so, you do understand then that your little mag is essentially a centaur right??  Dont worry too much about speed. Nowadays 8-10fps separates the average bow from the barn burners...regardless of carbon, foam, convex cross section limb design ect. Check out Blacky's site if you want proof. Go to the websites and check out wait times, prices, prices for upgrade options ect. I personally think that Big Jim makes some of the best looking bows out there. Have you ever seen 2 of Big Jims bows that look alike?? Some of the woods he uses many of us have never even heard of. You know its coming, but i will say it anyway...all comes down to personal preference. If you have the $ then buy em both. keep whatever "feels" right to you and the other one wont last a week on the classifides.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
I've had and shot both side by side,both great bows.The shrew was a little older bow .Jims workmanship is second to none and a better person you won't find and I've heard the same about Ron,you won't go wrong either way.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
"When you talk about "feel" my guess is that you could blindfold a dozen guys who have shot both and they wouldnt be able to CONSISTENTLY tell you what bow they shot. When you say "performance" im wondering if you mean speed?? if so, you do understand then that your little mag is essentially a centaur right?? Dont worry too much about speed."

Pete- I was asking "feel?performance"  more like how smooth a draw,
 pointability, vibration, impressions on the grip, etc. Not concerned with speed much, I know they're all good bows, and will shoot plenty well with a good arrow.

I've figured the little mag inspired the Centaur's, good to have that confirmed! I'm not in a rush for the new bow, so I'm checking things out
pretty thoroughly for price, wait, options, etc. Big Jim's offered some help already on the post, and I like the fact that he offers lots of options, reasonable wait time, and a good price for a great bow.

Offline fz4vgq

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
Just for reference, Java Man (Gregg Coffey) also posted back on the first page right below Big Jim. Gregg is the bowyer who builds the Shrews. I've spoken to both in person (K-Zoo & Compton) and they are both excellent guys. I own Shrews and Greggs build quality is spectacular as is Jims from his bows I saw at Compton last summer. As someone else mentioned, it's all about grip feel for me and there is nothing that compares to the Shrew grip for my hands.

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
Bith great bows but Shrew has a more aggressive forward pistol style grip.
Thanks
K

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©