3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiver Selection (Noob Questions)  (Read 327 times)

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
Quiver Selection (Noob Questions)
« on: January 21, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
I am still in the "I-want-to-be-a-traditional-bowhunter" phase.  I do not own a trad bow yet, but hope to buy one this year.  I am wondering how many of the trad bowhunters use bow-mounted quivers, versus hip/back/catquivers...

Any additional thoughts for noobs also welcome. (yes, I read the newbie article and loved it!)

Thanks!

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiver Selection (Noob Questions)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
Alot of us use bow mounted quivers, some use side /back quivers and some use either at times. It is just a personal choice as to what you like best. Some prefer to shoot a naked bow, while some say a bow mounted quiver adds a little mass and helps absorb vibration, and quietens the bow. Once you get into it try them both and see what you like. Neither is the wrong choice, just a personal one, like I said.
Good Luck.
Tom

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
I can only use a back quiver, even when I had wheels I could not shoot with a quiver on a bow.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
Sometimes I use a bow quiver sometimes a GFA, it just depends.

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Still trying to settle on a bow, too.  I figure the answer gete even more complicated there.  Looking at som high-end stuff, but a friend tells me to buy cheap to see if I like it, THEN step up.  That logic doesn't sit right with me.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
Your friend is 110% right.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
Yep, listen to your friend.
Tom

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
Wow.  Thanks for the feedback.  How 'bout used vs. new?

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
You can get some great deals on used bows here in the classifieds. Nothing at all wrong with buying a good used bow.
Tom

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
I recommend you try a lot of quivers before you buy one.  Every quiver design has pros and cons.  You can spend money faster on quivers than you can on bows...  There is no such thing as a good quiver.  There are just quivers that stink less than others.    :readit:     :D

As for buying a bow, try as many as you can and don't overbow yourself when you start, but if you buy used and don't get gouged, you can buy, sell and trade all day without getting too far out of whack with whatever budget you are operating off of.  Most of us have trouble with the selling part...  :knothead:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
Cheap in price, but not cheap in quality.  Before dropping a bunch of bucks on a fancy custom, many of us have learned to shoot a bunch of bows to see what we really like and what works best for us.  Buying a good used bow is a wise decision and you can generally get all or most of your money back when you move up or on to try something else.  Make it to some of the bigger shoots over the summer and you can shoot more bows than you can keep track of.  Think of it as another hunt, scouting for the best stand site.  A couple of suggestions: 1) Don't overbow yourself.  45 lb will kill anything in VA and still allow you to learn good shooting form.  The old axiom, "It's not what you hit them with, it's where you hit them that counts." holds true with bowhunting as well.  2) When it comes to shooting well, the arrow is more important than the bow.  The arrow is what has to fly true to the target, the bow just gets it moving.  Above all, have fun and enjoy the journey.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
Thanks, again, guys.  I really appreciate the advice.  I guess I'll pick up a used bow and try for a bit.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »
I read thru this thread and responded, forgetting that the original question was about quivers.  Any quiver is a compromise and you have to figure out what works best for you.

As you can tell from my avatar pic, I use a bow quiver.  I have for years and still do.  I tune my hunting arrows with it installed and leave it on when hunting.  Bows shoot fine and are still quiet with it installed.  I like the Great Northern strap on, but most of the others are good, too.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Bow quivers are arguably some of the best quivers designed for bowhunting. However I found that the Bow mate elite side quiver is the best for me.
James Kerr

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
I just like to shoot my bow bare, no quiver...

As for bows, When you have an idea of what you want, long bow or recurve or hybrid, draw weight etc, just have a look at the classified, and buy one that you like. Most of the bow that sale on the classified are great bows, most of them custom made by a great bowyer, but at a fraction of the price. So In my opinion it is the way of doing it for your first bow and maybe for the other that will follow!

Stay away from heavy bows, and real short, real long bows. Look for bows that have good rep. And have fun

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
More thanks, guys.  I may have a few more questions as I begin this journey. Please continue to be patient with me.  ;)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by gregg dudley:
I recommend you try a lot of quivers before you buy one.  Every quiver design has pros and cons.  You can spend money faster on quivers than you can on bows...  There is no such thing as a good quiver.  There are just quivers that stink less than others.      :readit:         :D  

As for buying a bow, try as many as you can and don't overbow yourself when you start, but if you buy used and don't get gouged, you can buy, sell and trade all day without getting too far out of whack with whatever budget you are operating off of.  Most of us have trouble with the selling part...    :knothead:  
kingsnake - gregg nailed it good on both accounts.

i'll add some opinions ...

there is a huge difference with trialling both quivers and bows in yer back yard as opposed to in actual hunt venue conditions, which is where the rubber meets the road and your choice of gear selection either makes you a hero or a goat.  bow holding weight, bow length and quiver selection are the main tackle concerns.  

don't rush into getting bows/arrows/quivers - take yer time and try as hard as you can to to hands on testing at trad events, with clubs, friends and even with vendors.

always remember that the ARROW is far more important than the bow.  put yer best buck$ into the little sticks.  

buying used gear is the best way to go if at all possible, don't compromise on the bow holding weight (don't overbow yerself!!!), and always realize that the holding weights labeled on bows can be off by +/- a few pounds to over 5 pounds.  try before you buy if at all possible, or buy with a return policy if done via mail.

good luck and welcome to trad bowhunting!   :wavey:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
Kingsnake,

Lots of great responses and good advice so far...

Use the same logic as you did when you chose your compound bow hunting equipment.  Do you use a bow mounted quiver on your wheelie bow?  What do you like about your current quiver setup and what don't you like?  Can your current quiver setup work for your traditional setup?

You do get what you pay for in quality but that doesn't always equate to what is the most practical for your use.  I personally own an excellent quality and beautiful bow mounted quiver that was truly worth every penny I spent on it but I do not like shooting my bow with a bow mounted quiver on it!  Had I truly thought through my personal shooting style and preferences, I should have never bought that quiver to begin with.  Don't make the same mistake as I.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
I like bow quivers myself. Easy to keep my stuff together and just grab it. I've tried other styles like everyone else and I just like 'em best.

That being said, what's cooler than a nice leather back quiver with some pretty arrows peekin' out?

Personal preference all the way...welcome and enjoy the journey!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
I use them but I take them off when possible,, I once spooked a deer using a selway style,, it fans the fletching out wide in a single staggered row and when your sitting down and bring the bow up the fletching on the  bottom arrow can scrape your leg like what happened to me,,,, because of that I use only GN styles that keep that fletching close and tight together, the rubber straps and quick release are totally silent out in the woods..

if you are going to shoot with one on your bow make sure you practice with one on your bow.

also if you ever thing you might want to remove it out in the woods do not get any of the quivers that have velcro,, velcro and quiet woods are a NO NO for obvious reasons.
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©