3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: first week elk season - who else is going ?  (Read 432 times)

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
first week elk season - who else is going ?
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
Me and another guy are renting llamas and going to Colorado first season. I suspect the elk will still be in bachelor groups and cows/calves, high, no herding at all, little bugling, small bulls will have velvet with the season being so early.

What are ya'll planning as far as hunting strategy ?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: first week elk season - who else is going ?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
I would think, especially if you're going high with those llamas, that the bulls will be starting to try putting together herds.  Might not be real vocal yet, but I think they will start taking an interest in the girls.  I was out in Rocky Mountain National Park two years ago in late August and all the cow herds had some bulls with them already. Even some bugling going on.

I will be hunting later, but if I were you going early I would use cow calls and lots of patience.  The bulls may very well respond, but very likely will be coming in silent and slow.  Give it time to work.  And most of all, have a great hunt!  Sounds like you have a good adventure planned.  Be sure to bring back stories and pics for us all!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Mudfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
How bout me and 3 guys will be huntin cows Aug 1-7. This place is loaded with them. I think we will sit on water holes.

What you think??LOL
"Dad, you and me are bow shooting huntin buddies OK?"

My son Kasey- age 5...Jan 8, 2007

Keith Bruner

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
Aug 1-7 ??? Where ?

Yeah, patience, spot and mostly just stalk in areas the animals are. Wallows might be good, just still hunting, using cow calls, finding the elk and hunting them there.

I've killed elk with rifle, compound and muzzleloader ....... I NEED to kill an elk with a recurve to regain any confidence I have in trad tackle

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
I think you're lucky to have a hunting trip coming up in 10 more days!  Not sure how to hunt them, but sure wish I was that close to leaving on a trip!  Have a great time Keith.  Where are you headed?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
so!what kind of bow are you going to be carving them elk up with this year brad?  :D
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
I'm headed out  to Colorado early to flyfish before the hunt starts. I plan on staying out through the duration of archery season. I drew an archery   mule deer buck tag to go along with the elk tag. Apparently the South San Juans have been getting plenty of precip but west of there is pretty dry. Several fire bans in effect. Good Luck!!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
I'm heading out Aug 28th. I like the early season because of wallows and drinking spots. Nice little ambush in them places.

You can also catch a few bulls testing the waters with bugles. I hunt in the Rio Grande Nat'l Forest and the bugles are few and far between anyway. Lots of hunting presure later. I just slip-hunt from ambush to ambush spot, and I've developed my own little routes. Works sometimes. Most times not. But a pretty good way to take a walk!
Mike Davenport

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 12:36:00 AM »
I will be there the first 2 weeks with my 3 brothers.  Can't wait.  Elk huntin, campfires and story tellin.

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 06:44:00 AM »
I hunted Colorado the first week of the season last year and learned this. The bulls were very respondend to cow calling.I only heard 3 bugles in 6 days and I think one was another hunter. I hunted for 6 days and called 4 into bow range.I never bugled only cow called. Two of them I did not hear or see sneak in and I blew it on them. So stay alert. It is hard to believe that an animal that size can make such little noise! One was a non-shooter, they had to have 4 or more points on one side. One would never give me a clear shot. I did have a cow at about 15 yards but it was the second day of the hunt and I really wanted a bull. I did not shoot a bull but had the best hunt of my life. I also learned that in the area I was hunting the Elk preferred to be in the dark timber on the North slopes. Cooler that time of year.I love to hunt that time of year but I'am going out sept. 16-23 this year.Good Luck and let us know how you make out when you get back.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »
hill boy I bought a 56# Zipper from Bob here in Arkansas - should have it by Monday and hope it fits me well. It'll be my elk hunting bow for now.

Offline tk76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »
The best part of the seasons have been the frist few weeks. The last three years we have had to deal with the snow. They were talking last year opening day they would not come in very easly to a bugling more the cow calls.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
goin the week of labor day, Colorado, just gettin a cow tag though.. new to elk huntin but I fugure I will have a fun trip, got a buddy livin out there, so he can guide LOL!!
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
I will be elk hunting in the Weminuche Wilderness beginning labor day weekend.  Packing in with horses this year.  Also hunting in the Bighorns for elk starting September 15th.

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
I am going to miss opening day (8/25) for the first time in twenty five years! Oh well, I will hunt the rest of opening week, starting on Monday. The first week has traditionally been one of the most productive weeks of the entire season. Bulls seem to come in to select cow calls a bit more enthusiastically than later on. I also have had some luck calling in herd bulls early,with some of these herd bulls actively searching for cows. Ah heck the whole season is absolutely wonderful, come on Aug, 27th! T.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
Llamas?? Taste like sheep don't they?....laffs

I got lucky! Drew an archery limited entry tag for a Roosevelt elk on Vancouver Island B.C., just a 4 hour drive away.

5 tags total for this roughly 200 square mile area.

Get to hunt like forever! Starts Sept 10th & goes to the 15th...of Dec.! Not sure how to explain it to my boss, think I'll just say I'll be back when I get one!....LOL

Been putting in for this draw for years! Odds of winning were 38.2 to 1. So once in every 40 years??....Ugh!
<~ TGMM Family of the Bow ~<<<

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
I'm leaving Aug 31 for Colorado.  Can't hardly stand the wait.  Plan on being there for the second week of the season. Hopefully some of the bulls will be starting to sound off.  Good luck to all that are heading to the elk woods.
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline hal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
Brad - I'm hunting CO with a ML, then archery elk in New Mexico in Nov near Chama.  Sure hope you get a nice elk this year!  Stay in touch.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©