3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Honeysuckle bush arrows?  (Read 139 times)

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Honeysuckle bush arrows?
« on: January 22, 2012, 07:09:00 AM »
I noticed these bushes where I hunt and identified them as some strain of honeysuckle. There were many almost perfectly straight shoots to pick from and I thought it maight make a good bush arrow material.
I intend to get me some and try it soon but, if anyone knows of any bad characteristics of this possible shafting material I wont harvest it or waste my time.

Anyone ever use this for bush arrows with success?

>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Re: Honeysuckle bush arrows?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
it is an invasive spieces,from asia. just like asian carps, should be eradicated. i dont think it would be a very good arrow material,since it kind of a loose fiber, i might be wrong though.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
Invasive huh? Yep, seems to be taking over around here. Thanks for the input.

Anyone else?
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
Definitely a nasty, invasive bush that spreads like wildfire!! Invasive species of honeysuckles usually have hollow pith in the center and the material is kind of spongy around this, at least on the stems that are large enough for arrows that is.  Both may be deal breakers when it comes to making arrows.  There are "native" species of honeysuckle out there but they are predominantly classified as vines, the invasive ones are typically bush type with erect stems like the ones in your picture some of which look "straight as an arrow" :-)
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Hate the stuff...  It also has a tendency to crack and split down the sides when it dries.  I hope they come up with a blight for it soon.
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
I've seen some awesome arrows made from the stuff but some of the toughest I've ever seen were made from multiflora  rose.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
One way to find out! Cut some and see how it goes. If it is pithy in the center it could be a problem but if the woody part dries hard, could be a great arrow.
The japanese honeysuckle that grows down here is an invasive vine and not suitable. The best native plants in my area are dogwood, viburnum and river cane. I have viburnum growing on my property and have used it quite a bit. Makes a tough shaft but it tends to be heavy.
Member NCBA

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
The native honeysuckles around here are pretty small and weak, nothing I would make an arrow out of (even if I knew how). I haven't seen an invasive variety yet.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©