3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Different size fletching  (Read 188 times)

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
Different size fletching
« on: January 22, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
This morning I was shooting a new set of arrows. GT 5575 30" w/ 220 field point and 4" fletching shield. These arrows were fish tailing and did not seem to shoot well. My old set are the same GT 5575 30" w/ 220 field point but with 5" fletching shield. The 5" fletching arrows shoot perfect and spirals nicely. Does smaller size feathers make the spine arrow softer?

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Different size fletching
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
More fletching makes up for minor tuning issues, and most likely this is what you are experiencing.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
Sounds to me that the arrows are not spined properly for the bow. The 5" feathers hide how far off they are spined due to their ability to stabalize the arrow quickly. 4" or even 3" or 2" feathers will not "fish tail" if you are shooting the right arrow/point weight combo. Tear the feathers off one arrow and shoot it with fletched ones...see if it groups with them?

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
The smaller fletch weigh less which does make the shaft act just a tiny bit weaker.  Your 5 inch fletch have been covering up form or spine issues.  It ski ds like your overspined.  Try using heavier and lighter heads to find what works best.  Definately shoot bare shafts with fletched to see if they group.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
So basically I get a bunch of different field points weight and shoot until it groups and fly well? Both fletch and bare? So what happens if I find the right combo bare shaft, will it fly different when you add your fletching? Also, if I drop in point weight wouldnt it affect my FOC and overall weight of the arrow? My current weight on both arrows is 550gr. It give good penetration.  So how do you tune for heavy point? Can you get away with lighter grain arrows to hunt big hogs?

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
I'd check with paper tuning before peeling the fletching off.  It will tell you the same thing as bareshafting, just easier , IMO.  Do you have access to a spine meter to check the consistency between the new and old shafts?
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
I would strip the feathers off of one and shoot it along with a group of 2 or 3 fletched arrows and see if it groups with them. If it does not than you have tuning issues.
James Kerr

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
if you bare shaft correctly your ultimate goal is to get a bare shaft to fly perfectly straight in to the bulls eye.

Then your feathers do not need to be large.  they only need to be able to correct the wind shear created by your broad head.  I suggest you read some of the ed ashby arrow setup reports available here on trad gang. I just recently was enlightened on the effect of large fletching and EFOC.

i now shoot  tiny 2.5 inch feathers.

Example

I shoot a CE heritage 150 shaft out of a 42 lb recurve. With a 100 gr brass insert and a 150 grain 2 blade the shaft weiighs 545 but has a
EFOC of 21.45 %! They fly like darts!
Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »

shaft on the left is the 150 with 21.45 EFOC
SHAFT on the right is a CD Heritage 250 27.5 inches long with a standard insert and 200 grain head.
i shoot this out of my long bow. this shaft weighs 625 grains but has FOC of only 18%  it is still considered high FOC.

both arrows are just fricken darts
Make a life, not a living

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©