3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: John McCullough bows  (Read 361 times)

Offline Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
John McCullough bows
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
Has anyone ordered a John McCullough Griffin or 59'er lately? I am going to order a trad style recurve soon and have it narrowed to a few. Great Northern Ghost, Kota Kill-um and a 59'er. I owned a 59'er years ago and loved it.I am looking for info on how to contact John and order a bow. Does he have a website? What is the waiting period for a bow right now?

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: John McCullough bows
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
I don't think he has a website and the waiting time is somewhere around 3 years.  Someone will be along shortly with his phone number.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
Wow, 3 years? I would have kept the 59'er that I had if it wasn't a 65 pound bow. I grew old and weak  :(  I killed several deer with the bow and loved the smoothness. Don't think I will invest for a 3 year wait though.

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
You might post a wanted add in the classifieds.  It works sometimes.  I think John attends one of the big shoots in the summer and usually has a few show bows that he sells there, you might keep this up top to find out which one and see if you could make the show.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
He always has a few at Denton hill . I got a 59 r there two years ago fantastic bow and a great guy.

Offline BTW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
If you find a 59'r, buy it!  Those babies shoot.

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
Here's a pic of my new 59'er.  Three year wait.  Like was said above, post a wanted and see what happens.  I don't have John's number handy but if you want it PM me and I'll dig it up.  He sometimes has a bow or two in stock.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
Been on Johns list going on three years the end of April this year. Expect to get the call soon and I'm going to have John build me a pretty Fiftyniner Bowbolt. Fiftyniners are as rare as they come and I've had three of them and still have one that I'll never sell, the grip is perfect. John freehands the grips and each has their own subtle differences. The one I kept is perfect for me. If you ever see a used Fiftyniner snatch it up quick, they don't last long and are easy to sell if you don't like it. JMHO
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
A  couple more to get the juices flowing!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
Ken that bow is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
John can be reached at 517-626-6365. He lives in DeWitt, Michigan and telepone is the best way to reach him.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
That's a beauty Catskill - wenge and maple?  

I have this one, cocobolo, maple I-beam and maple limbs.  Great shooting bow.

Offline BTW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Very nice Ken!   I love mine.

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
Yes, wenge and maple. John's bows are superbly crafted! Get on the list and wait your turn, it's well worth it. I just continued to shoot what I had and tried to forget I had one on order.

I  have a similar following here with my business. If you do top shelf work people will wait for the finished product. You can't rush quality.

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
There is a used one at the Footed Shaft in MN for $425.

56# bow.

Offline WCSims

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »
The 59er's have to be one of the sexiest bows ever! I've been on the list for at least 2 years. Longest list I've ever been on but I know it'll be well worth it. I love the wenge maple.

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
They are great looking and shooting bows. John always has a few at Denton Hill each year but you better get to his table early.

He'a also a very interesting fellow to talk to about bow building and bow performance.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
I know your mainly interested in one of John's bows, but you mentioned the Kota Killum, you need to look into one of these before you buy anything. Although not an exact replica of a 59 Kodiak, it is built simular to bows of that era.  I have one and it is a great shooting bow, Tim will make them out of whatever you want and only a few months wait for a new one and easy on the pocket book as well.  Check out his web site.  RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
I may be out of line but how can you wait 3 years for a bow. He only makes so many bows a year, but he has a number of bows with him when he goes to some gatherings to sell.

These are bows he makes while you are waiting 3 years for yours. Please explain as i am not criticizing just asking.

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Not sure but maybe while he is working on a custom he glues up a similar bow to take to a show.  

When he was working on mine he sent me some pictures and said if I didn't like what he had done so far he would make me another one. I would then assume he would finish the first one and sell it as a stock bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©