3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backing with Buffalo hide?  (Read 316 times)

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
Backing with Buffalo hide?
« on: July 21, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
I just finished reading the article in the June/July Primitive Archer. I would like to back the bow that I'am working on now. My question is, where can I buy Buffalo hide in the smaller sizes for backing. I have seen whole hides but the prices are crazy and I never would use it all. Thanks for any help.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backing with Buffalo hide?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
Adirondackman,
You would be better off useing a thinner type of rawhide anyway,like deer goat or the likes.The methods as well as the author,of that article,and articles past,has come under serious question,by others,with "REAL" experience.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline KyGal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
Backings are always a tradeoff between strength and weight. The ultimate rawhide backing would come from squirrel or groundhog - very very tough, thin, even grained hides. Rawhide is strictly a protective layer and should not be expected to change performance except maybe slightly in the negative (just my opinion). Thicker rawhide like buffalo would weigh a ton and seriously impede performance.

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
Yeah, I was wandering about that article.
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 05:21:00 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I wanted to try something that I thought was a little easier to apply than sinew. I had a selfbow I made blow up on me during an Elk hunt and was looking to back my next bows until my bowyer skills improved.I was looking more for durability than performance but I don't want to impede performance either.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©