3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: footing and tapering effect spine?  (Read 117 times)

Offline lovethehunt

• Trad Bowhunter
footing and tapering effect spine?
« on: January 23, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
I have started using woodies again after a 4 year adventure with alum. and carbon, which I love the consistancy of but wood arrows are way mor fun to make. I was wondering if footing or tapering the last 10" will alter the spine much? In my head it will but does it? Right now I am shooting taperd d. fir and its great. 65-70's 30 in bop with 160gr heads out of a self built straight limb 52@29 long bow. These fly like darts an I want more just like them. I plan on picking up some shafts at k-zoo this weekend. I think doing the extra's myself would be fun. Any thoughts on this?

Re: footing and tapering effect spine?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
I don't have a lot of wood arrow knowledge but i would think that if the wood used for the footing was heavier then that would effect the front of center and effectively weaken the arrow.

Bisch

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
A bare wood shaft that is not footed but is tapered the last 10" will loose only 1# in spine if that. I don't know about footing but it seems to me that if the footing is significantly heavier wood it could affect arrow flight but I doubt it would be much.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
Tapering the fletch end will affect spine by 1-2# on the tester-insignificant. Footing won't make a small change..........you are removing 50 gns of cedar and replacing it with 100 gns of hardwood so a 50 gn change spread over several inches. I once made up some Doug Fir arrows with an 8" cocobolo foot-the foot is actually 14" including the splice, spine remained unchanged on the tester, and it increased the weight of the shaft by about 100 gns; but spread over a longer area-effectively about 10#of spine.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©