3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: black snakes  (Read 2677 times)

Offline 2 dogs

• Trad Bowhunter
black snakes
« on: January 15, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
lots of rattler and exotic skinned bows but i got lots of black snakes at my place.anybody tried to use them?i might if someone explains how to skin and dry.the wife shoots them all the time when she sees them,i will just not let bow outside unattended.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: black snakes
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »
You are doing yourself a disservice killing black snakes. They eat lots of rodents and other snakes. Would your wife like more rats, mice and poisonous snakes around?
   Black snake skins would work fine for backings. They are fairly thin so be careful skinning them. You can either split them down the belly and peel the skin off or ring around their neck and slip the skin back down and off . This will turn the skin inside out. Then turn it back out side out, split down the center of the belly and tack it on a board, scale side down and remove any excess meat and other tissue and let it dry.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »
We never kill black snakes since they eat mice but they might look good on a bow.

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »
I had the same thought on black snake skin to put on my sons blackbear bear recurve ! But as stated above Black snakes are your friend in that they eat alot of rats , mice, other snakes, ect. Had a 6+ footer for a month or so when younger !  feed it gardener snakes & mice . Cotton-mouth are a neat looking skin for a bow also ! >>>------->RIVERWOLF
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
This one did get my wife's attention in the living room     :D

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »
Pic resized

Offline Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
2 dogs you have a good wife...
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Offline 2 dogs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
i know they kill alot of rodents,but every year we kill 15 to 20 im sure two going to a good cause will not be missed.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
'Em snanks is my buds.  :(
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
I've always read that a snake doesnt eat very often ............ maybe once or twice a month  ................. if thats true they are way over rated as rodent controllers .......... I dont allow em near my house  ........... if they get too close to the house they die! .......... otherwise I leave em alone.
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
A couple mice per month x 200 snakes x 6 months a year = 2400 mice a year sounds like a pretty good program to me.  I've always liked snakes, I had them as pets growing up.  I understand not wanting them in the house, but it is kinda like killing spiders.  I kill the hobos that are all over here in Missoula (sometimes I trap more than 4 a night during summer) One day we found a wolf spider in our basement shower, we watched it kill 4 different hobos, until my brother visited and killed it   :knothead:  .  My daughter named him Benny, we told her that my brother let Benny go so he could visit his family    :biglaugh:  .  My point is that beneficial predators are the best way to keep vermin in check.  I recommend you use a snake stick and move them to the edge of your garden.
Andrew

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
if you have 200 snakes next to your house I would be movin!!!!!!!!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
The snakes wouldn't be there without a reason.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
Sticbow,
Not 200 right around the house, but even if you have 5-10per acre it adds up.  Also they look for mouse nests and eat the pinkies, the snake in the picture could eat a whole batch of pinkies in one sitting, uh or um laying.    :scared:  you want to talk about moving yikes!!!! needless to say they got the gas and match treatment, just 40 feet from his house, probably 100+ snakes in that writhing ball
 :scared:    :scared:    :scared:
Andrew

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
We had a black snake under the house at the lease and had NO mice, some hero killed it(illegaly) and the place has been over run with mice ever since.

Offline **oneshot**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
In my neck of the woods we have a good selection of mouse/rodent/vermin traps.  Garders, black, pine, red bellied racers, black racers,  and a funny little brown snake I have yet to catch to identify.  A few winged mouse traps (Screechowls) that took up residence in my neighbors old shed.  I can only imagine how overrun my place would be without these little guys around.
Pick a spot,  One tiny little spot        **oneshot**

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
Mice are in estrus as soon as they give birth. Gestation period is 18 to 24 days and litters range from 3 to 11 young. Six weeks later the young are breeding.

2 breeding mice X 3 weeks = 11 possble young X 9 weeks = 121 mice not counting the two that began the breeding, by now have bred again.

Blacksnakes eating one or two a month aint the answer if your infested.

GET SOME TRAPS!

I leave the female blacksnakes and take the males home if'n I'm in the mood.

In Ohio it is legal to harvest 4 snakes per season. Blacksnakes are easy to skin and they air dry easily and make darn good bow backing.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Slingblade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
It's agin the law to kill'em in Ga; of course you have the people who subscribe to "the only good snake is a dead snake" premise.  I don't worry about rats as much as I absolutely despise then blamed hateful little copperheads, and there ain't nothing out there that keeps them cleaned out like a black rat snake or big king snake.
"Life is like a dog sled team...if you ain't the lead dog; the scenery never changes"  Lewis Grizzard

Offline STOBBER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
Speaking of king snakes , has anyone got a bow with kingsnake skins. I like kings but i wont kill'em. i usually catch and release on my property to keep the copperheads away. I do have one roadkill...hoping to find another to match it.The black and white stripes would be cool on a bow i bet!

Offline homerdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »
it has always been beyond me how a grown man could be afraid of non-venomous snakes...   "[dntthnk]"
tell me how close you got, not how far you shot

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©