3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: food plots  (Read 437 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
food plots
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:43:00 AM »
i am going to plant some food plots for the first time, what product have y'all found to be the best attractant- i am not trying to grow big antlers- just to get the deer to start to pattern, there is usually an abundance of food and watering points here.
close to the sea- so salt is not an issue for them.- but maybe some saltlicks might hold them away from the beaches, and keep them near the food plots. maybe same for mollassas type licks.

we get lots of rain.
long daylight hours in the summer, but only about 8 hrs a day in winter.
 a little bit of snow in the winter.
average summer temp- 20 deg cel( sorry guys !!)
i think our summers are too cool and too short for corn etc.
 and i have been told that the blacktail cant digest corn, and it kills them.

thanks
all
wayne

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: food plots
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:19:00 AM »
down here we plant oats,wheat and clover. up there I doubt it would be the same. hopefully somebody will chime in from your area but if not Id check with a local biologist or soil conservation office and see what they recommend. I would imagine step 1 will be a soil test to see where your PH is.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 06:09:00 AM »
I think white clover (durana is a great choice) for your perenial plots, and buckwheat in the summer, and winter grazing rye for the fall (double crop the annuals) should work great in BC.  I keep half my plots in durana, and the other half in soybeans (summer) and rye (winter). Buckwheat has like a 60 day lifecycle, and will self re-seed, and deer LOVE it.  Also, buckwheat is grown commonly in areas where summer is too short for other crops
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 06:44:00 AM »
Clover turnips and soybean.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
before wasting your time and money get a soil sample. then ask your local feed & seed store manager, your local game biologist or extension agent what grows best in your area.

stay away from the big name food plot companies. a lot of cash for the exact same thing you can get local.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
awesom advice, thanks- will start by getting soil samples.
thanks y'all

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »
Fujimo

Hiada Gwaii is about the same latitude as me but because your on the ocean, its a lot cooler and moist in the summer.  local people farmers should know what your soils are roughly and you can do a litmus test yourself. As far as soil nutrients, you are likely ok for nitrogen, etc. get some salmon/fish entrails and work them in that should fix any issues and you might be able to get a bear  off the site too.    

Buck wheat grows best in a cool, moist climate.

All the brassicas are cool season plants and can be used used as a mix for wet soil conditions.

Fall rye and Oats planted late might work as well, might not get to maturity  but should not be a bother for food plots.

Might be out there for a hunt this summer, have not decided between SBT deer and Mountain goat again.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »
well if you are coming this way give me a call.
 are you bow or rifle hunting out here on the charlottes?
wayne

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »
thanks for the info- what other name is buck wheat known by- cant seem to find much aboutBW in food plots, varieties etc etc.
 thanks again
wayne

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
I live on an island in SE Alaska; I expect my climate is very similar to yours.
I have not messed with food plots, but as far as what will grow, you are right- corn won't. A few folks do grow it in a greenhouse here, but it won't work outdoors.
Clover was planted by the forest service as a cover along logging roads at one time here, several different species. They seemed to do well, I still see it growing in patches where they tried it.
A lot of gardeners here build up the soil with drifted kelp gathered at the high water mark on the beach. Just take a skiff ashore at a good spot and fill the boat, then trailer the boat with the kelp in it. Wood ashes and ground shells from the beach are also useful depending on your soil test results.
There may be some issues about introducing species into your area that will come up. Something to consider beforehand.
If you follow through, please post the results.

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 05:42:00 AM »
Call the guys at Whitetail Inst. 1-800-688-3030  They will give you the best suggestions for your area.  I plant plots every year and have used several products I like clover and it works great. Up there you may want to look at a Mix of Oats and Beets that will give you a great food source that deer will hit from the time the Oats sprout through the whole winter as the deer eat the whole beet tops and all.Normally you would plant the Oats and beets the end of July.   If you can do two plots on your land make the second one clover that will give the lactaing Does a great source of food in the early spring

http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/
 http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/products/talltinetubers.html
 http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/products/forage.html
 http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/products/clover.html
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »
Not sure what your soil is like up there, but in the rocky, very poor soil we have in southern Missouri we have really good luck with Oats and Turnips.

X2 on the guys above that suggested local feed stores for your seeds. No reason to spend the money on commercial "Food Plot" seeds.

Scott
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
Do a google search of Ed Spinnazola and Quality Deer Management Association of Michigan.  Ed did a book on food plots (he was a farmer by trade) that covers everything from no-till plots to using farm tractors.  The Association also sells a Ultimate Blend mixture of seed that has about 12 different types of seed to cover all periods of the year.  The book goes into detail about soil testing and preparation and what to plant as you are waiting to upgrade your soil.  I think this is a good starter place and then you should also talk with your local soil/farm supply expert (if availible in your area) to see what they recommend too.  Good luck.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
Ok, I did the search for you and here's the link. It looks like there's a video out too, but my book is well worn and is my go to reference guide.

http://mmbqdm.tripod.com/index2.html
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
thanks for all the input- i will certianally post results as i go along- those brassica family look ideal for the cool climates here- and great forage return- and then they only become palatable later in the season. which would be ideal- maybe combined with some oats plots and clover plots, i should get lots of value- but i will keep researching, and reading- and will do a soil sample asap.
 i would like to find out more about the buck wheat though- does it have an alternative name??!!??
thanks all

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
The advice I got was "Don't buy products developed in the South if you hunt in the northern states or Canada" I have found this to be true. When they don't test up in the frozen tundra it is hard to say if it will work. Try and buy from a northern company!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
I'm by no means an expert. Honestly I just like to do the plantings and see it all come together. All of this I've gleaned from a variety of sources and the school of hard knocks.  The first advice is soil testing to get the ph and nutrients right.  Second is finding a good resource for the area you are in.  The best I've found is from the University of Tennessee. They have a big foodplot publication in PDF format available free. Its a big document, try    this   one for 40 pages of great information.  Some of the items will be much more southern than what will work for you, but the general principals apply and there is good information on brassicas, etc.  Hope this helps.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Wayne,

If QCI is anything like Vancouver Island your best bet is probably to plant some salal, haha.

Honestly, I'd go for brassicas or a hearty clover.  What sort of area ya planting it in?  Open pasture sort of area or a treed in spot?  There are some "no-plow" products available that require little more than a leaf rake to get started.  Others may require full till and more attention.  Maybe I should pop over late summer and have a look myself, give you an honest opinion then.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 02:24:00 AM »
thanks all.
 anytime murray!!- would like to cruise around with fellow tradders- do some hunting, scouting  etc.
hear you on the pesky salal!!
 will i see you at one of the 3D shoots this summer.
i might make the rupert one- it will be my first 3D shoot ever. gonna take the ferry- wanna meet some of you guys out there.

our ph is acidic around 5 to 6.
cooler climate , lots of moisture.
 so will get a sample done- get the liming and nutrient rates, brassicas and clover is exactly what i had in mind, after all the advice.
i plan on doing a few plots. maybe 6 or so- some will be in alder groves, some will be on the forest edges- up against meadows/ muskeg- but with trees for cover.
we are looking into buying a 1/4 here- specifically for hunting. then we will go full steam with plots .
thanks all
wayne

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Here we have a state agency called co-operative extension that would help you decide and help provide hedgerow type food for deer. I'm saying this in addition to your food plots to offer a variety of food choices for the deer. We can't hunt over bait here, but there's no saying you can't manage your property to hold deer. Apples and grapes and berries.... etc bring in other tasty critters too :-)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©