3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your opinion on foam core limbs  (Read 5770 times)

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
Your opinion on foam core limbs
« on: January 25, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
I've searched and read just about everything I can find on foam core limbs. Some say they are the best thing since sliced bread. Others liked them, yet felt and had chrono results that said they shot slower than standard material.

Since I build my own bows I'd like to get a better idea of what to expect should I decide to give this material a try.

I'd also like to hear from the bowyers as to difference in using the material compared to standard material.

Better to check things out than to,,,  :banghead:  

Troy

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your opinion on foam core limbs
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
I had a zipper with foam and really liked it! I never shot it through a chrono,but Ive not shot any trad bow through a chrono. Myself if it shots good and hits where I look then it dosn't matter the speed of the bow!
just my 2 cents
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
Troy, I find the foam core limbs at same poundage to be faster and much smoother to pull. On my bows and my limb design. The limbs are quite a bit lighter for the same poundage. I have to say that I love them.

God bless you, Steve

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
Sixby,

Thats the type info I'm looking for. I wondered how it compared in weight to say Lamboo or any wood core material.

Troy

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
Morrison Archery's foam core limbs are very smooth drawing,smooth shooting and very quiet.I really like them on Bobs bows.I believe with just foam they pick up about 5 ft per second over wood or bamboo cores in his design.

I Cant speak to other limb designs as far as how they wil react using foam.

I had another makers foam limb and I preferred his wood and or bamboo limb.He quit using foam as he also thought his bow shot better with bamboo/wood lams.I think a carbon back can help some bows out when using foam.A little crisper feel and they may track better.

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
I'll be at K'Zoo this weekend and plan to talk to several about the foam. Most of the bows I built have had good speed and smooth draw. Now that I working with Dr. Ashby on his arrow study I'd like to improve everthing I can in an effert to benefit the study.

Troy

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
I have used and still own foam cored limbs. I believe that for hunting distances they are of little value. I do believe that they have their place in target archery however where very long distances are necessary.

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
I called Bob Morrison last month to order some limbs w/ bamboo cores for my ILF-- he talked me into foam cores and I should be getting them soon--will be interested to see how they perform. I am always on the lookout not necessarily for speed but for smoothness of draw and a quality I think of as liveliness in a limb.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
I have carbon and foam core limbs in my Zipper ZSR,great performing limbs and quiet also!

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
If I remember my conversation with Bob correctly, the foam itself doesn't add speed, it adds consistency.  He said his maple core is the same speed as foam.  It may also add a feeling of smoothness, which is hard to define, but it's the carbon that gains speed.  Side note, my memory has been called fuzzy to non-existent.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
I've looked at this a bit and, though I've slept on it, from what I read the foam is more consistent at rest and when placed under repeated stress and temperature changes, so Bobco is right about its importance to target archery.

For hunting, I believe it is supposed to be a lighter material, which I believe is where a very minor bump in speed might come from.  Like Crash said, where I think a lot of the gains are coming from is it's ease of use and combination with carbon, which most think is a better performing limb (at least speed/efficiency wise).
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Only owned one set of foam core limbs -- carbon backed Morrison Shawnees.  I couldn't tell any difference in smoothness between them and glass backed bamboo cored limbs.  They were each very smooth.  Don't have a chrono, but the foam core sure felt faster.  With the same D-97 string as bamboo cored limbs, the foam core limbs seemed a little higher pitched/louder.  All in all, I'd say the performance differences aren't that great.  I'd have no compunction about getting another set  of foam cores, though I'd be just as satisfied with bamboo cores.

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
Crash--That's because you're trying to remember too many bows!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
personally, having owned and used more than a few foam and ceramic limbed recurves (with and without carbon), none of that is required or needed for a hunting stick bow.  gimme a well designed limb set with boo or cane cores under good glass, and i'm good to go.  ymmv.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
I was told the other day by a very reputable bowyer that I would be hard pressed to notice any performance difference between the walnut cores I chose and a foam core.
here's what he said....

"The more foam cores i do for guys, the better i like the stuff personally. it does add an uncanny smoothness to the draw giving the feel of less draw weight. It's ultra light physical properties add performance too.

Performance wise comparing it to walnut cores, i think you'd be hard pressed to see a difference. The unique thing about foam is that the properties do not change with humidity and temperature changes like wood does. a wood core bow is always going to perform better in the summer than it does in the winter. Bamboo is the least noticeable due to it being grass and not wood.

Typically i use the foam with carbon bows, but I've recently used foam cores under glass too with great sucsess..... It's homogenous properties are just really hard to beat.  the best lay up using foam has been using a very thin layer of uni-weft material between the foam tapers dead center. this is a woven fiberglass material.
The foam cores are $100 upgrade using uni-weft, and $80 for a thin wood core between the foam tapers.

Some guys absolutely swear by the foam cores, and i'm begining to see the advantages more and more myself."

He also spoke of a new stack technique he's trying out but I'm not sure if he wanted that cat out of the bag.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
Much theory, rationalization and likely data out there to support advantages.

Bottom line: If one cannot actually discern the advantages, then it is money better saved. If one does readily discern the advantage, then by all means go for it.

The experience is individualistic!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 09:38:00 AM »
I've shot my Shawnees side by side, one with foam core and glass and one with bamboo and glass.  Can't place my finger on the difference, but a "livelier" limb is as good as any.  Crisper at the shot, smoother on the draw, less vibration and hand shock at the shot.  I like them a lot, carbon/foam is even better then the glass/foam.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
I can't prove foam is better in any way.  However, other than a few early reactions, I can't find any legitimate negative comments about foam and it's been in use long enough to generate plenty - if there were going to be any.

With that said, I've had a few bows with foam cored limbs, both glass and carbon backed.  And from my perspective foam was quieter and smoother - but not by a great measure.  I don't chrono so can't comment with any accuracy on speed, but they were fast.  I'm sure some limbs/designs stand to benefit more than others from whatever "advantages" foam may have.  And I suspect some designs may be more agreeable to foam than others, hence any negative experiences may have been more of a learning curve than a fault of the material itself.

I also suspect bowyers have taken a liking to it because of its more consistent nature.  Which makes hitting weight easier and reduces time tillering.  I'm not a bowyer, that's just a thought I had.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jedimaster:

I also suspect bowyers have taken a liking to it because of its more consistent nature.  Which makes hitting weight easier and reduces time tillering.  I'm not a bowyer, that's just a thought I had.
I'm sure you're right on there.
I've heard the same comments..from bowyers..about a-boo....just more consistent/easier for the bowyer to work with..
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
I have been wondering if foam makes a bigger difference in shorter bows?  I shoot 68 inch RD longbows and can't imagine them being any smoother.   I am looking for a bow that will cast a heavier arrow at the same speed as my present bows.   If I go up 5 lbs in weight and use the right bow with carbon and foam It seems I can meet this goal.   It sounds like I need to start researching a new bow to take hunting  in Africa and Australia.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©