3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Skinny Strings  (Read 777 times)

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Skinny Strings
« on: January 25, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
I just got off the phone with Art at 3Rivers Archery and he did not recommend using a skinny string for my Tomahawk or any bow as it transfers more vibration to the bow than a standard 14-18 strand fast flight string. This vibration he said is very akin to shooting too light of an arrow and can cause limb failure. I was just wondering if any of you bowyers recommend skinny strings or do you think that Art was right in that it creates too much shock.
James Kerr

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Skinny Strings
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
My bows have left here with 8 strand 450+ for a long time now. No problems at all.

I shoot the same stings on my self bows too.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
With all the skinny string rage going on over the last couple years that's the first I've heard of that. I shoot 8 strand and 10 strand strings with padded loops in a 54# and 62# bow, no failures yet but that doesn't mean much either.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
I haven't heard that,I've been shooting 8 strand D97 and 6 strand 450+ of my bows 60# and under for the last several years.Haven't had any problems at all,my bows are quieter and perform just great as always.I'll use more strands on my heavier bows.

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
I wonder if what he is telling you is fact or just speculation?
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
I shoot 8-strand SBDs on all my FF compatible bows. No problems.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
I think he has it exactly backwards! I get less shock (vibration) by far using a skinny string. The analogy of the light arrow is incorrect as well since more of the energy is transferred TO the arrow, thus away from the bow.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
To clarify Art said that it probably would not cause damage but that there might be a problem in the long run. I took mine off as I did notice more vibration than with my 14 strand string, and I feel it is always better to be on the side of caution.
James Kerr

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
If 3Rivers sold them his story would be different is my guess. Skinny strings are not new. Ron Leclair has been sending them out with his bows for maybe 15 years?

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Tailed Hawk:
Yeah Ron That skinny string did make quite a bit of difference. Working on saving up some $ for a new Abbott, but will not be letting this one go!!!
This was for an Abbott longbow that I sold. I have very arthritic wrists and elbows and the bow definitely had a lot of hand shock. My theory is that the extremely heavy string was flying far forward due to inertia, and oscillating causing the limb tips to vibrate. Cliff's skinny string seems to have helped.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline turkeyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
I agree with what 30 coupe said.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
Every bow seems to like a certain string better and that is exactly why we offer both the skinny and standard string configurations.  I own a Shrew CH and it came with a "skinny" string.  When I put a more standard string on it, I get some hand shock that wasn't noticible with the skinny string.  I also have a Dwyer Dauntless that came with a "fast flight flemish twist" string and when I switched to one of our FTS Super (continuous loop) strings, it gained an average of 2 fps in speed and it was even quieter than the original string was.  Interestingly, the speed difference was likely due to the cat whiskers that Dave puts in his strings.  (Our FTS Super string does not come with whiskers installed.)  Thinking that maybe I could get my Shrew even quieter, I tried the same thing but I didn't really notice any difference in sound and I didn't measure any difference in speed.  

Now it is very important to note that some bows should not have the "skinny" strings on them at all as it could damage them.  This is particularly with the older bows.  Following the advice of the bowyer is always the best policy (if you can)!  We have often been asked if it's ok to use one of our FTS performance bowstrings on a certain makers bow and we always recommend that they follow the advice of the bowyer!

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
Consider the Source.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
I took mine off as I did notice more vibration than with my 14 strand string, and I feel it is always better to be on the side of caution.
You have to go with your own experience.  There are few if any "one size fits all" answers in this sport.

It's also a good idea to follow the advice of the bowyer/dealer, in case you have a problem down the road.

I'm sure if they wanted to, 3 Rivers could sell "skinny" strings.  I won't go as low in strand count as some offer--not because I can't, but because I'm not comfortable with them.  I won't sell something that I won't use myself.

It's just different experiences and different opinions--like a lot of other things in this sport.

Chad

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
A question here, When does a string cease to be skinny and become just a regular string?  At how many strands?
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
"At how many strands?"

Depends.  10 strands of 8125 is going to be smaller in diameter than 8 strands of 450+.  12 strands of the new 8190 is a very small diameter string--as small or smaller than 10 strands of 8125.

I've never measured actual diameter--I just look at it and know if it's "skinny" or not.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
Mike, a regular string on some bows are "skinny" strings!  It's really up to the various bowyers isn't it?

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
Some bows just don't respond enough to where it matters. I happen to absolutely prefer skinny strings w/ padded loops on my Hill bows.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
I am confussed (not new for me) what is the issue? The string not strong enough or the string cutting into the limb tips. I have a couple of bows with "skinny" strings. I had them made by a fellow club member. He padded the loops and so far no issues. My newer SK is quieter and seems to preform better.Thanks, Tom M

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
Been shooting either 6, 8, or 10 strand D-10s, with padded loops, on my bows, in the high 40's to low 50#s with no problems. Probably won't order any more 6 strand strings, not that there is anything wrong with them...they just don't look right.
I think some companys won't sell lower strand count strings on account of having to mess with serving/nock fit and loop padding issues. It's much easier for them to twist up a 14-16 strand string and send it down the road busting bugs.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©