3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions  (Read 203 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinions
« on: January 26, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
With the price of getting my arrows professionally fletched, should I just go ahead and look into getting a feather cutter and do them myself? I want my feathers 4 or 5 inch shield, with red barred as the cock feather n green barred as the 2 hen feathers, and want to splice the ends white for better visibility. I have a bitz fletching jig and bohning fletching tape I used for my compound, but have never spliced before? I figure if I buy my own it will be a fun activity for "down" time (full time college student and I work full time, not sure where I'm coming up with this free time haha) any suggestions on which burner/cutter to buy or you opinions would b appreciated
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
A chopper from 3 rivers or other sponsor would suit your needs just fine. Your jig and tape will get the job done. You can also buy feathers already cut from many sponsors.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
I cut my own and all that but to be honest, its easier just to buy them the length and cut you want. You can buy them from the classifieds on archery sites, online from archery stores or ****. Just get you a jig (I love my bitz) and compatible glue. Also I dont shoot wood anymore but I always put a wrap on aluminum and carbon. When its time to refletch just strip off the wrap, rewrap and refletch. piece of cake.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
I can chop feathers, fletch an arrow and be ready to shoot it in about 3 minutes.  I have a chopper and use tape (zero drying time).  I don't splice my fletching, so it'll take you a bit longer, but it really isn't a very time intensive process.  You should go for it.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
As Randy said, get you a chopper, you'll be money ahead. There are some how to's on the how to forum on splicing.

That being said, I splice my feathers with pre cut. They are membrane spliced, and I don't use a chopper. It also saves money, as I use a lot of the full length feather for my splice. I just wait for good deals on the classifieds for feathers.

These were done with my improvised method.

" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
I'm not much for splicing feathers but I think you're going to want to get full length feathers for splicing.
There is pretty much only one brand of chopper out there and one burner. With the chopper you're constricted to that single cut, unless you buy more choppers. With a burner you can change shapes at will.
Pretty much your choice on which one to use, there are folks who like both.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
I do all my own burning, and just learned to splice its not that hard when you get it. I have a thread on splicing that a video was added that makes it easy. just do it its fun.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Page six of this thread has a how to of what I do to put some white at the ends. Same method Ryan is using. Only I am not as good at it as he is.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=085823;p=6
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
Thanks Randy, but yours look great! I'm going to put a little how to on splicing your pre cut feathers later tonight. Pretty much the same but a bit different.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
I have a bitz and fletching tape, I would order some pre cut feathers but it seems cheaper to buy full length, and cut them myself. Plus that way I can splice them. I like the colors I have chosen, I just really want to splice the ends white so I can see them better in all situations

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
If I buy a burner, could I buy a 2 inch shield form to better utilize the full length white feathers for splicing, and then a regular 4 or 5 inch shield form for my feathers? And which is better for hunting, 4 or 5 inch? Still very new to trad, still waiting to get some arrows so any advice is appreciated! I do 3D quite a bit, but am on a very tight budget and would rather have better flying hunting arrows than the best competitive arrows for 3D

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
Jacob, I did a splice a long on feathers today. It eliminates having to have a chopper. I personally use larger fletch but that's a personal preference. Put out an add on the classifieds for what you want, you might get some feathers a lot cheaper than otherwise.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=113258

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
on the matter of turning full length feathers (spliced or not) into fletchings ready to stick on yer arras ...
  • chopping is noisy (whack!), burning stinks(p-u)
  • choppers are pretty much pre-shaped, burners allow for lots of creativity
  • a new chopper is cheap, a new burner will cost about 6 choppers
  • both will get the job done quite well
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
Another option if time is a factor is instead of splicing white ends try a white fur tracer, takes no more time to glue that on than it does a unspliced feather and they show up in flight great.

Steve

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
Or, if a fella was just concerned about seeing your arrows in flight, I am, just use 5" white feathers and go kill something..

If you're worried about your quiver full of arrows being easily seen just fletch one or two in white and the rest in more muted colors..  Always keep your number one arrow in white !

Practice with white or whatever color you can see well..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©