3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To tired to shoot. after work  (Read 399 times)

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
To tired to shoot. after work
« on: January 26, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
Well here is the deal and I was woundering if any of you have this problem. I get up in the mornings and go to the gym at 4, at work by 6, work a 10 hour day then home by 515. I am a power lineman have been for 18 years. So when I get home I'm pretty tired and I know I still need to go sling some arrows, but I can tell after bout 5 or 6 arrows that my form and concentration goes to hell. I was woundering if ya'll have anything else you do to try and help with this. As ya'll know that I am new to trad after I sold my wheeled bows that this is all I can think about and will never go back to training wheels. Do ya'll think a lighter poundage bow would help to get my form in good shape. I trying to learn to shoot like Rick Weltch and I really like it. I am also having a big problem with my bow arm holding steady any help would be great. thanks Mike

Offline Ben Tiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: To tired to shoot. after work
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Shoot in the morning.

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
I cant its 4:00am and the wife and kids are still asleep.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
I have had similar problems. After work I couldn't help but shoot a bunch but my muscles and brain are pretty well drained. Now I realize that smart practice is better than a bunch of hammering arrows into the target on sore muscles. I try to shoot one shot a few times a night. I concentrate on that one shot and have to make myself put the bow down. When I have time I shoot more on Sat. and a 30 target 3d round on Sun. My form and shooting have actually improved by shooting less. It took awhile for my thick skull to realize that there are limitations to what my body can do.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
What Rob said! I literally used to shoot for hours. Now I shoot a few times a week and only a few arrows at a time. If  you'll look at Terry's form clock it'll help a bunch. A double anchor helped me tremendously. Once I got the mechanics down, I can shoot less often and have better pratice sessions.

Jason

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
I am just finishing reading Fred Asbels new book, at the end he has some excerises that are to help build up the shooting muscles.That may be an option to consider. Years ago I shot a lot of 3d with a compound. When my daughter was born I had to watch her in the evenings because my wife worked evenings, so I had no time to practice but I did excerise, my shooting actually improved.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by rezeen6.5:
Do ya'll think a lighter poundage bow would help to get my form in good shape. thanks Mike
Yes.........a lighter poundage bow will help solidify up your bow arm and in my opinion is better to expose form flaws to begin with.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
Go to the gym every second day, you don't need a gym work out every day anyway, and shoot on your gym off days, that way, you have more time, concentration, and better form. That way you will do better practice and better results!! Quality not quantity!!
Just my 2cents...

Offline flippnsticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Yukon:
Go to the gym every second day, you don't need a gym work out every day anyway, and shoot on your gym off days, that way, you have more time, concentration, and better form. That way you will do better practice and better results!! Quality not quantity!!
Just my 2cents...
X2

Offline park

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
If your trying to learn form a light weight bow will help you learn.When people take up target archery they use light weight bows so they can work on shhoting correctly.In your case it sounds like your beat and just want to relax so taker easy.Good luck

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
I am just finishing reading Fred Asbels new book, at the end he has some excerises that are to help build up the shooting muscles.That may be an option to consider. Years ago I shot a lot of 3d with a compound. When my daughter was born I had to watch her in the evenings because my wife worked evenings, so I had no time to practice but I did excerise, my shooting actually improved.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Quit work.  Get your priorities right.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
Do what I do, shoot down in the basement after you've had dinner and relaxed a little. It doesn't take much, just a few arrows to scratch the itch.

When there is more daylight you can move outside again after dinner.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
You said you tremble when holding the bow back?  You will probably benefit form a lighter weight bow. When you are at the gym,. do exercises that will help with pulling back the bow.

You do not HAVE to shoot every day, you want to shoot every day. I am the same way. But like what is said earlier, it is better to take 5 good shots than 100 hopeful shots.

Many days I get home so stressed out from work, I do not even try to shoot because several things happen.

1. I break arrows
2. I lean bad habbits
3. I get even more stressed and a little pissed

Its better not to shoot on these days.  If your mind is really with it and your muscles are jsut a tad tired, get a lighter weight bow and go take 5 or 10 shots, but quit and end on a good note!

Mostly, dont forget to have fun.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 05:13:00 AM »
Hey, good luck with your quest to find the time! It can be hard, at times, and harder for some than others, given different occupations and concerns.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 06:10:00 AM »
reddogge, not everybody has a basement, including me.

I'm with the guy who said you don't have to go to the gym everyday. Make some time to shoot when you aren't going to the gym. If it's too dark in the mornings, use a work light to shine on your target.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 06:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Winterhawk1960:

Originally posted by rezeen6.5:
Do ya'll think a lighter poundage bow would help to get my form in good shape. thanks Mike
Yes.........a lighter poundage bow will help solidify up your bow arm and in my opinion is better to expose form flaws to begin with.

Winterhawk1960 [/b]
X3. Absolutely helps. Best thing I ever did. I shoot my light setup when not feeling well, when its very cold,  and when tired. Usually at 3D shoots too, until about August when I switch primarily to heavier weight. Really works out any kinks in my form.
David M. Conroy

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
I have had the same problem in the past. I do concrete work and its always busy right before bow season when you really want to practice. Being tired and too stubborn to admit it caused me about ten years of frustration from bad habits I learned. Now I try to shoot only when I'm feeling good and that seems to work better for me. Quality not quantity is better than learning poor form like I did. That's just my experience.  Good luck finding a way to solve your problem. Jason

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
I'm with everyone who has said quality over quantity. I also dropped in poundage. Dropped down to 43 lbs from 55 which is what I started shooting with. It made a world of difference. Ive noticed most everyone has commented on the working out and sore muscles which are a huge part.... But don't forget about your mental fatigue. I got to a point were I forgot this was something I was doing for fun. Got too serious and my brain got in the way. Good luck!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
I think Mike vine could be on to something...Think I`m gonna run it by my Wife....RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©