3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Action Wood vs. Dymondwood?  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Action Wood vs. Dymondwood?
« on: July 21, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
I have bows with Actionwood and they have been very good in terms of reliability. I'm thinking of picking up a bow with Dymondwood which seems a tad bit heavier but I have no idea which wood is less prone to cracks in risers, which performs better in risers, etc. I'd appreciate any feedback plus and minus on both of these type of laminates. Also, would appreciate any feedback on phenolic as a riser compared to Actionwood and Dymondwood. Thank you for any input you can provide.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Action Wood vs. Dymondwood?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
I am sure that I am wrong, but here goes....
actionwood and dymond wood, two different companies might be the BIGGEST difference.  both are laminated hardwoods, dymond wood is also resin impregnated.  Actionwood is maple (I think), and dymondwood is birch (again I think).  Since maple is a bit harder than birch the resin might serve to counterbalance the two.  Dymond wood is heavier.
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
Phenolic ( resin impregnated linen or paper ) and dymondwood ( resin impregnated wood, may or may not be laminated )  are heavier than actionwood (typically a stained laminated maple).
  If not "working" (drilling or turning) the dymondwood or phenolic, it should never crack except for a very hard impact.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
Dymondwood is a much stronger material due to the impregnation with acrylic resin.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
I would stick with the Actionwood    :thumbsup:  

You say it has been very reliable for you.....Well it has NEVER let me down either!!!!!

My Mikuta longbow(and Kevin's and Lisa's and Tyler's) are made entirely out of Actionwood (and fiberglass) The risers,limbs,lams,EVERYTHING!!!!! They are virtualy "Bomb Proof"!!!!! and they look darn GOOD too!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
i like the Diamondwood.A little denser and very tough.Also about bullet proof when it comes to the elements.Comes in a huge variety of colors as well.Makes for a very stiff riser as well so thats a plus!I like the Coco bolo diamondwood.It looks very natural.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 12:09:00 AM »
Dymondwood is pretty much bullet-proof as a riser. The mass is real good on stabilizing a bow and killing hand-shock. Bob Morrison uses it in his risers.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the input.  I am putting together an order for a Morrison and I'm having a real hard time trying to decide what I want the riser made out of and if I want to invest the cash for veneers on the limbs.  I'm thinking I might go with Rosewood Dymondwood and have the bamboo limbs stained cordovon.  I'd like to see what the cordovon actually looks like.  Basically, I am utility oriented first so I want to find the riser materials that will go the longest distance as far as reliability, etc.  I have several Fedora bows some in actionwood and they have been flawless.  However, I want to try either the Dymondwood or regular wood for the Morrison.  All your input is apprecaited.    :notworthy:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©