3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: comparison Trad Only vs. MFX  (Read 358 times)

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
comparison Trad Only vs. MFX
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
I'm  planning to order some carbons.  I have a Traditional Only test kit and have found the 400's to shoot the best.  I would like to try the Beman MFX Classics, but don't want to buy another test kit.  I see that the TO 400's are 9.1 gpi, the Beman 500's are 9.7 gpi, and the Beman 400's are 10.4.  Does this mean the 500's would be more likely to shoot close to the Trad Only 400's?  Anyone have experience with both brands?

I am shooting 50# @ 28" and cut arrows at 30".  I am using 100 grain inserts and 175 grain Woodsmans out front.  My scale is broken but if I am doing the math right that means 548 grain total wt. (with the Trad Only).

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: comparison Trad Only vs. MFX
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 01:18:00 AM »
I have noticed that the MFX shafts perform stiffer than their marked spine. I think it is because of the depth and length of the HIT inserts. I shoot 500s out of bows that shoot .389 spine Carbon Express shafts normally. At 50lbs I would try the 500s.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »
It's true that the mfx are a stiffer shaft, but I draw 50@29" on on 60" Palmer and the 400's shoot great for me.  I tried the 500's and they were too weak for my set up.  Btw, I shoot 3-under if that makes a difference and use 175 grain tips, 7.5" brace height and 5/8" n.s.

You may want to experiment with different brace heights until you hit the sweet spot with your particular bow & arrow set-up.

Good luck
Moon

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
Moon-my set up is exactly the same as yours except for the 29" draw. What length are your shafts?

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
I don't have a spine tester... But I think the mfx are accurate on spine... just that they are nearer to centerline of the bow due to their smaller diameter and act stiffer...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
Slasher makes a valid point about the MFX smaller diameter making the arrow closer to centerline of the riser, but I would think this would require less paradox to clear and make a given spine act weaker.  At any rate, I'd try before I'd buy. Shot MFX for years and liked 'em alot.  Now shoot TO's(because I'm cheap)and like them too.  Be aware that there will be a difference in the throat diameter of the MFX nocks (Easton X,I think) and the TO, which is basically a Bohning Signature.  So much so that I had to re-serve(I'm also picky).  You can now get 100, 125, and 145 gr points in 9/32nds inch(Axis sized)for the skinny MFX.  I think if you stay with 175 gr. that 5/16ths (TO sized)is as small as you'll find and you'll build up those back muscles pulling them out of 3D targets on an MFX shaft.  Chucking them in a drill a tapering the back edge with a file will help a little.  Good luck with whatever you choose!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
I would stick with the traditional only shafts. The Bemans are great shafts I am just not wild about the HIT insert. I shoot a 55# Tomahawk bow with a 340 spine trad only with 100 grain brass inserts and 175 grain VPA terminators and they fly great and kill game just fine.
James Kerr

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
I am thinking I might just stick with the T.O. 400's. I know what they will do.  I don't like the thought of spending big money on MFX and maybe not choosing the right spine for my setup. I don't want to spend $32 on another test kit, on top of the $145 for the arrows.

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
I shoot the 300 Trad Only and the 300 ICS Beman Hunter with 250 gr. Up front and both those shafts preform the same for me.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
MFX are the best I've ever shot. The hit insert is great, if you foot them with alum. you can shoot them into concreat with no problems!
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Check out Big Jim's prices for the MFX, about the same as Trad Only.

Eric

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
I have both in the 400 size. They fly about the same and are both great shafts. The Bemans are more durable by a margin in my experience.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
I love the look of the MFX and the strength and durability. Unfortunately they don't make a shaft stiff enough or I would shoot them also.

I have found an atribute or two in all the shafts that I cary or I wouldn't cary them. These are no exception.

thanks,bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
I decided to save a few bucks and went with the TO's. Got them yesterday and set them up tonight. Cut to 30", 100 gn. brass insert, 175 gn. field tip.

Went downstairs and shot.  WOW! best groups I have shot with the new 59'er. I am still going to have Snag whip up a dozen of his surewoods spined to my bow, but at this point I'm VERY happy with my setup.  Sorry, was too tired to take the camera down and shoot and post pics.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 07:00:00 AM »
Your set-up should weigh ~570 grains.

Glad you got them flying true.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
Friend, my scale is out getting repaired so I can't weigh these. I came up with 9.1 gpi x 30" = 273.... + 100 for insert + 175 field point = 548. What am I forgetting to add (fletching)?

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
Just utilize Stu's calc.

I am most always w/i a few grains and usually closer.

FOC manual calcs are usually w/i a tenth of Stu's calculated percentage.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
Friend, got my scale back today-579 gn. good call.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©