3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow tuning my 2 Predators. 1 old 1 new.  (Read 392 times)

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow tuning my 2 Predators. 1 old 1 new.
« on: July 21, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
Been tuning in with broadheads with my newer bow Moon Dance.  I was thinkin of using the older bow for the upcoming elk hunt as the arrows were flying better out of that one, and had not been able to quite get the new one tuned in as well.  Well I got brave and made some changes to the new one in the riser that had been bothering me in the handle.  (Yes I have made a lot of bows but still, take a new $600 plus bow and walk up to the sander with it and start grinding, sheesh).   In close scrutinization of the 2 bows it made me realize something.  The depth of the handle was not the same so having the same brace height measurement was not accurate for both bows.  I made the changes to the grip for my shooting style, and changed the brace height equivelent from the working part of the limbs, now the same arrows fly perfect out of the new one too.  Woo Hooo !!!  
  Started shooting the broadheads and noticed as I have before orientation of the head ( 2 blade) made a difference in where the arrow impacted.  Took some time to make them the same and walla - (voila??) They hit where they should.  Getting antsy for colorado!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow tuning my 2 Predators. 1 old 1 new.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
Yep! I can be tough to make a bow "just right" and few others can do it for you. Takes stones!!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline OkieJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
bowdude, can you show pics of the 2 bows? I have been thinking about a Predator.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 11:04:00 PM »
bowdude, I have an older Pred. and a newer one. The older one is the quietest bow I've ever owned. The newer, is louder. The older has a B-50 dacron string, the newer one shoots D-97. I've switched the newer one to B-50, and it's alot quieter. The only difference I can tell in the handles, is the newer one is wider. I like that.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Yes the newer one is just a tad louder than the older one for me too.  I also put B50 on that onbe.  The handle was too thick for me.  I roll my bottom 2 fingers under when I shoot.  (I think I got that from the Asbel book years back).  Anyway the wider handle was bugging me so I took it to the sander.  Also added a little depth to the throat.  Still larger than my old one so I am not worried, plus a stronger wood.
 My new one I shoot at about 7 3/8 brace (before mod to throat, now 7 1/2) while the old one is  7  3/4.  There is that much difference for me.  That way they both shoot gold tips 5575 just right.

OkieJ - pics coming soon bud.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »
Ok here are the pics. The bottom one is the newer one.  There is not as much difference in size as appears in the pics, thats one of those distance tricks, like holding your arms out with your deer type thing.

Here is the quiver side.

Now the rest side, notice the groove for the folded under fingerstyle I mentioned.  The new riser is much thicker.

Notice the difference in the tip curve, WOW.  The new one is easier to string though.  You really have to be careful not to twist those hooks on the old one.

The new one is 53# with bamboo core, the old one is 55# with actionwood core.

Offline OkieJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
Nice bows. I really like the looks of the older bow. Are the new risers longer like it looks in the pic?

Offline OkieJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
Forgot to say thanks for the pics and nice job bowdude on the riser modification.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
The new riser is a little longer.  Partly because the wedge design was changed.  I am sure this was to make production easier.  Perhaps it was the beefier wedges and the sharper hook in the curve that makes the old ones quieter.  However the new riser overall is beefier.  I like the old one netter for looks and feel, but I am more consistant with the new one. The new bow I would guess is about a pound heavier.  That alone may be the accuracy improvement.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©