3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lighter weight bows for elk and western hunting  (Read 429 times)

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Lighter weight bows for elk and western hunting
« on: January 28, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
OK, lighter might not be the "best" terminology here, but just wondering ,(as an eastern woods hunter), what bow weights you guys typically feel is a good, safe lighter weight for animals like elk or big mulies. I realize muledeer can be killed at closer range, say 10-15 yards, with probably a 40# bow, but what do most western hunters practice to........25 yards, 30 yards, more??? You like to keep bow weights 50# and above??? Just curious to hear what a few of you western guys have to say about this as I realize it's no less a personal opinion than deer hunting in the east......thanks in advance.....john
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Swiftspeed10

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lighter weight bows for elk and western hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
I would probably say 53-58# as the lightest but I am probably off a bit.
Benny
-------------------------------------------------------------
Centaur Glass 57# at 28" (58")
Sauk Trail Kenu 40# at 27" (52")--->waiting for build

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
They can be killed with light pound bows my wife shoots a 45# longbow. I shoot a 62# longbow with a 750 to 800gr arrow. I practice out to 50+ yards my kill zone is 30 or less depends on the shot and if it feels right.
Gary Gentry
Cari-bow Wolverine T/D 62@28

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
I think arrow weight is at least as important as bow weight.

Better to have a lighter bow, and a heavier arrow, than a heavier bow with a light arrow, imo.

That said, for elk (and for all of my hunting, really) I like something in the #54-#57 range. Haven't found many compelling reasons to go lighter, or heavier.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
55 @ 30" R/D longbow with 584 grain arrows for me.  Tricia shoots the same arrow with a 42 @ 28.5" R/D longbow.  Morgan shoots the same arrow from a Breed recurve.  40 @ 25.5.  The recurve is a rocket and shoots faster than the 55lb longbow.  All 3 set ups will kill elk.  My max yardage is 35 yards for elk and 25 for deer.   The ladies is 30 and 20.  The real key is to get close and put the shot in the boiler room.  The lighter you go the heavier your arrow should be.   I have hunted elk for 30 years and they are tough animals.   If you miss the sweet spot you are in for a long trail job.   Hit them in the boiler room and you will find a dead animal inside 75 yards.  I have heard 90% of my elk hit the ground.    Heavier arrows are a big help on a bad shot.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
I probably would not go lower than 40 lbs in any situation for elk...Like Clay said above, heavy arrows are highly recommended. I personally shoot ~62-63 lbs at my 31 inch draw and my arrows weigh 730 grains.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
There is no need to believe that Western animals are shot at longer ranges that Eastern animals-the distance is up to you; if you don't like 30 yards set yourself up a 10 yard shot-you are in the drivers seat.
Shoot the bow that is most accurate for you; and as Clay says above the arrow is more important than the bow. Work on everything else and get that down. Work on stalking, sharpening, shooting, tuning, animal anatomy and so on. A legal bow will get the job done as long as everything else is right.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
Wyoming has a 40 pound minimum draw weight for deer/antelope and 50 for elk/moose.  Most of us, myself included, would not be wise to shoot at an animal at 30 yards. There is just too much chance of a non fatal hit, unless you are Byron Ferguson or someone of a similar skill level. I am happy inside 20 yards personally, and shoot bows in the mid 50s, with arrows around 625 grains.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
I'll be shooting 57# out west this fall - with an arrow just over 600 gr.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
I hunt w/ bows 52# down to 40#. I'll keep it around 50# for elk, lower for deer and antelope.

Figure if I could kill this w/ 51# it would work on elk.

Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
Here in central BC we have all the western species plus Moose.Our moose aren't the big Yukon type but still a pretty big animal.The BC law is #40 at your draw length for all game except bison.Most of the hunters I know shoot between #45-#55. I shoot #47 at my draw and I feel fine about any Moose shot I might take. For sure under 25 yds and more likely in the 10-20 yd range.550-650 grain arrow,sharp 2 blade head.
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
I've always liked the advice my buddy Troy gives newbies to Traditional...  "Shoot the most bow weight you're comfortable with in all circumstances that's over 50 Lbs."

I've always used 540 grain arrows on a 60# set of limbs for 185 FPS.  Never met a critter that it didn't kill...

This year, I have a new set of limbs that I bought to shoot for form, and 3D shoots that are 52#.  Right now they're shooting an Easton ACC Pro Hunter 440 of 425 grains at 198 FPS, and I shoot them MUCH better.  I'm not going to lie...  Its going to be tough to see which limbs I take afield this fall.

I do think that momentum is a better number to chase than straight up KE when it comes to killing animals that aren't found on the internet  :)

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
I'll be using a 56lb @28" Black Widow MAII and shooting 630 grain carbon arrows. They fly awesomely. I think they will be sticking out the other side.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
Like mentioned above we don't shoot at animals any further than anybody else around the world.  It all depends on you and your ability.  Last bull elk I shot was at 6 yards which is right in my comfort zone:)  I do shoot 20 yards or less as a rule of thumb.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
I shot this in 2010 with a 41# recurve.  If you can shoot more weight, do it (my shoulder problem keeps me at this weight), but I also recommend at least 600 gr. for elk, no matter what weight bow you are shooting.  I got 20" of penetration on this shot.  
I also agree that you can keep your shots close if you are patient.  This cow was shot at 12 yds.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the "western" perspective guys! Its great to hear from the guys who hunt in that realm. I'm surprised at the 40# weight bows though....even with the heavy arrow weight!?! Guess my favorite 47#er will still suffice but I still love your perspectives......thanks for all the response....John
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
I took a 48# bow at my DL with 556 grain arrows.  It was spitting those arrows out at a consistent  165-168 fps. I didn't get a shot, but I was 100% confident at 25 yards and under.  SHARP BHs, shot selection and placement are far more important than a few more pounds.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
GREAT INFO GUYS!!!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
We should all shoot the most weight we can at large animals.  Modern arrow to bow testing has proven that bow weight is not the most important factor in penetration, though it certainly helps.  My wife and daughter are adequately armed to kill elk.   They only shoot at close ranges and when they are sure of a clean shot.   The arrow is far more important than more bow weight.    I read an article where a woman shot clean thru a water buffalo with a 42 lb FITA bow and optimized arrows.   Light bows can do the job when used properly.

I go so far as to buy one type of bow in one weight set up for hunting.  My light bow is the same model with arrows set to the same point of impact at 20 yards.   I am plotting a bow and arrow set up for hunting water buffalo.  The bow will have carbon foam limbs and be between 55 & 60 lbs at my draw.   The goal is to shoot 650 grain arrows to the same point of impact as my present bows.   Lots of folks put speed and equipment in front of accuracy.   I believe that is a mistake.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
55-60 with 600+ gr. for any thing bigger then then small game for me. I used a 50lb bow on my first moose and got terrible penetration. I was fortunate and got the animal but learned a valuable lesson: Shoot as much weight as you can shoot well!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©