3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lighter weight bows for elk and western hunting  (Read 428 times)

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lighter weight bows for elk and western hunting
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
The best bow/arrow recipe I've heard: "Get close, real close, and make it count." If you are inside 20yds, any legal weight with a Sharp BH will work.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
I practice regularly out to 40 yards, but that's to help my form more than anything. That being said, I've killed a few animals at 30 yards because out here where it's open, ranges can be deceiving. When the shot feels right and you drill the animal, then you later pace it off to 30 yards, it can be a shock. But that doesn't mean I'm content with that range. I just thought it was closer. That was for antelope, and the moose I shot.

As far as bow weight, I know a lot of guys shoot lower poundage (under 50#) but I'm not confident going lower. And that is what it's about, is confidence. I shoot 55# or more at 29". 680 grain or more arrow, and a sharp broadhead. YMMV
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
I was on the same hunt with Doug Treat when he killed the big cow elk in 2010. I also took an elk (young 4X5) with a 46# (at my draw length) bow and 630 grain arrow. The shot was ~23 yards and I totally buried the arrow in the bull's body (slight quartering to shot). About 100 yard recovery.

I hope to be shooting 53# for my next elk hunt. I agree with the comments about shooting all the weight you can ACCURATELY.

Good luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline troutremble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
I shoot a 57# at my draw with 800 grain arrows at every thing from squirrells to elk. I'm comfortable with the bow and know just how the arrows fly. Why change a good thing?

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
Here in Oregon,the state has a#40 min.for deer, bear,cougar,and antelope,and #50 for elk.I commend Mr.Doug Treat for showing us on that sweet cow that#40,a sharp head,and shot placement is paydirt.One must just be patient and not take bad shots.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
good info!!! With a lighter bow, is a two bladed broadhead  preferrable over a three blade??? Less cutting action but better penetration????? just curious....thanks
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by jackdaw:
With a lighter bow, is a two bladed broadhead  preferrable over a three blade??? Less cutting action but better penetration????? just curious....thanks
I wouldn't say "less cutting" just a longer, narrower slice, preferably with two holes instead of one
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
This year I used a bow that was about 54 at 25".  I had my bicep tendon cut off and screwed back into my arm bone in March and was somewhat limited.  My arrow was just under 500 grains.  
The arrow hit tight behind the shoulder at a steep downhill angle.  It went through about 8" of muscle.  The arrow broke off at the ribcage and the 2 blade broadhead and remaining shaft was tightly lodged in a rib near the brisket.

I did not get an exit, but have never worried about that.  

I think what probably helped was the 100 grain brass insert plus 125 broadhead gave me a great FOC.

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Check regs of where you are going. Many have a 50 # minimum for elk. Just FYI
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
I shoot Hill longbows , I shot a cow elk at 29 steps with a 54 @27 1/2 and the arrow was POC at 560 gr the broadhead was out the other side , all so cut ribs going in and out .
Good arrow wietgh is the key .
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
I shot a bull elk with a 54 lb at 26" r/d longbow with a carbon arrow, brass insert and 125 grain 2 blade head.  Total arrow weight was around 640.  Penetration on the quartering away bull was up to the fletching only because it struck the shoulder on the opposite side.  Very satisfied with the performance despite the short draw length.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
My ILF is 44@30, I use it for everything although I do use a very heavy arrow for elk...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©