3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brodhead choice help  (Read 319 times)

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
Brodhead choice help
« on: January 29, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
I took up archery about 6 months ago with the intent of hunting. I have never hunted before and am working towards being proficient enough to hunt this year.  I have plans of hunting deer and pig.
I am shooing bemans 400 MFX classic with a 100 grain tip. they are 31" My bow shots 54# with my 31 inch draw. The arrows fly great with this set up.
I have no clue as what Brodhead to use. I would like to purchase some to start practicing with as well as get ready to hunt. Do you use the same for both?  Thanks for all imput
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brodhead choice help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
IMHO I think you need to bump up your head weight to at least 125gr head. As far as type of BH you can search past threads with the search future by the profile bar up top and find 100's of topics with tips ect.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
Zipper Bows is producing the Grizzly broadheads now. A wide range of weights with a proven track record at a reasonable price. Check them out and good luck.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
As far as type of BH you can search past threads with the search future by the profile bar up top and find 100's of topics with tips ect  
It's not that I can't search, I just like it when I can ask the person a question who leaves a response..

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
get some 125 grn field points and tune the arrows with them on and then you can shoot Woodsman or snuffers of the same weight,both are tried and true heads.Or Zwickey heads as well.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
X 2 on the Woodsmans! I would recommend using a heavier point if possible but if your tuning won't allow a heavier point I would use the 100 grain Magnus Stinger or a 100 grain Woodsman Elite.
James Kerr

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by rluttrell:
I am shooing bemans 400 MFX classic with a 100 grain tip. they are 31" My bow shots 54# with my 31 inch draw.
Note of caution.

If your arrows are cut 31" BOP (back of point) and your draw length is 31", you better be mindful of the back of a razor sharp broadhead's blades cutting your knuckles on your hand holding the bow at full draw if you're going to shoot off the shelf.

Your knuckles will probably stick out in front of the shelf by 1/2".
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 11:39:00 PM »
My guess is you could add a ton of weight up front without being underspined.  Definitely try some 125 gr. field points. There are a ton of good 125 gr. heads, I prefer two blade heads personally.  I like the sound of those grizzlies!!! Zwickeys are great, magnus stingers are really great too an they don't require sharpening/ shoot true every time.
Austin
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
With your setup you would do well to move up to 150, 145 grain points and give yourself a whole lotta options. Tough finding 100 grain cut on contact.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Night Wing:

Originally posted by rluttrell:
I am shooing bemans 400 MFX classic with a 100 grain tip. they are 31" My bow shots 54# with my 31 inch draw.
Note of caution.

If your arrows are cut 31" BOP (back of point) and your draw length is 31", you better be mindful of the back of a razor sharp broadhead's blades cutting your knuckles on your hand holding the bow at full draw if you're going to shoot off the shelf.

Your knuckles will probably stick out in front of the shelf by 1/2". [/b]
As Night wing stated be careful, if you use a fixed blade one piece head you can file the tips of the rear part of the blade so it doesn't cut your knuckle. And it makes them easier to get out of a back quiver as well
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
If you are married to a 100 grain point Razorcaps would be a good choice. you can also adjust the weight on them if you decide to go up later.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
What Uncle Buck said. The same company (New Archery Products) also makes a solid one piece three blade head called the "Hellrazor" that comes in 100 grain weight.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Just get a sharp one
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
I am shooing bemans 400 MFX classic with a 100 grain tip. they are 31" My bow shots 54# with my 31 inch draw  
OK Good Catch
there is about a half inch of arrow hanging over the edge, so draw is 30 1/2

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
To echo some others, a heavier point will probably be better for you.  Arrow penetration with trad gear is more about mass than speed.  A heavier arrow can also make your bow quieter.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
Get some woodsmans.Great flight,massive bloodtrail,tons of how to stuff on here on sharpening,etc.They will do agreat job for you.Dont screw around with 100 grainers though.You want a heavy,hard hit with trad gear.Experiment and dont be afraid to load them up like a led glove.9 times out of 10 its a good thing.Feel free to ask questions on here and check out all the how tos.You got the best of the best here that go out of their waty to help.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »
The broadhead is probably the single most important part of your setup.  As Biggie put it, "it's the part that does the killing".  Don't let the tail wag the dog; make your choice of broadhead decide the arrow, not the other way around.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
In my experience you should be way over spined with that setup but you didn't mention what your insert weight was though. Anyways for hogs and deer my favorite's for the $$$ are WW's, VPA's and STOS. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Edit: On a side note Zwickey & ACE broadheads have been killing animals for longer than most of us have been alive. Get it sharp,put it where it belongs & you will bring home the meat.
   ;)
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »
I am an absolute believe in big heavy single bevel broadheads. My choice right now is a Steel Force 225 gr

I killed my buck this year with Zwickey Delta's - but next year I'll be using the Steel force again

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 12:55:00 AM »
How much do your arrows weigh? With carbon, it's really easy to have a combination that's to light and can damage your bow. And it sounds like you're real light.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©