3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What would you have changed in your Trad journey.  (Read 1049 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
What would you have changed in your Trad journey.
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
I got to thinking since the start of your Trad journey what would you have done different. It could be something in a hunt that would have been a defining moment or just a choice through the journey that you would have done different.

For me I wish I had stayed with it from the beginning and not gone with the mechanical bows, I feel that in a way I cheated myself by taking a mechanical advantage to hunting. For me that approach made it easier to harvest animals (35-40 yard shots with ease)and lessened my true hunting skills.And cost me a ton of money,cant have wheels without the gimmick type clothing.ha ha

After I smartened up and went back to Trad, I found a whole new respect for myself and the animals and environment that they reside in. The simple more fulfilling feeling has become my journey.

And I would also have spent more time hunting with friends, and family instead of being the lone wolf. Now I have focused my Journey in getting my kids to take it with me so we can learn from each other, and keep it going. This has become a way of life( spiritual, mental, and physical)that has made me a better person. Just wish I had stayed with it from the beginning.But that's what life's learning experiences are for.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What would you have changed in your Trad journey.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
nothing

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Biggest mistake I made was backing off on my Bow hunting in the 80's.   :readit:   Bow hunting is where it's at,and with a recurve or longbow it is the ultimate.   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
I started with a 45# bow, worked up to 65#, and then back down again to 45#. That took 25 years and a couple thousand dollars to figure out.

I wish I had stayed where I was at and saved myself a lot of money and worn out upper body parts.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
Not much except I wish I would of made the switch way earlier!    :archer2:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
Easy for me. I would have started with a light weight bow & learned to shoot properly. A 65# martin hunter is not a good place to learn form from.Bad habits that get ingrained in your form are tough to remedy.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
I'de have moved to Iowa right down the road from Gene and Barry.
The best things in life....aren't things!

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
What would I have changed? Well, many moons ago, I let myself get talked into going hunting with trad equipment before I was really ready. I knew that I was really not ready yet but was younger and more stupid and let my ego get the better of me.  I went and lost the first three animals that I shot with trad gear (all pigs on the same hunt). I was totally disgusted and almost quit. But I knew in my heart that it was not the gear that was at fault, but it was myself, for not being prepared the way I should have been.

Bisch

Offline jim ratcliff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
think i would stick with the little 40# browning nomad stalker instead of the wheelie gimick...my dad insisted i didnt need that "thing" but being 14 i was way wiser than him! (on the plus side im 40 now and my son shoots my old nomad more than he shoots his wheelie...he shoots my 70's kmag more than i do) in the end it all worked out  :thumbsup:
well....let's go let the air out'a one!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
I would have never started hunting with traditional bows if I would have known how much it would consume my life. Other than family, fishing, friends andwork its all I have left. Someone please help me.    :knothead:

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
I would have started in 1985 instead of 2002 and foregone the 17 years of hunting with a wheeled bow!    :knothead:    :(

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
I would have never started hunting with traditional bows if I would have known how much it would consume my life. Other than family, fishing, friends andwork its all I have left. Someone please help me.     :knothead:  
:D  X2!!

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »
I agree with Bigriver.  I tried to teach myself with books on a 63# longbow.  Only thing I learned were the habits I'm now trying to break!  If I could start over again, the first bow I'd get would be a 64" 35# @ 28 recurve and get some lessons from a good archery instructor.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
I only hunted with a camera for a few years. I don't really regret that, but I would have had a lot more elk meat in the freezer if I had stayed with the bow. When I came back to the bow, the excitement was renewed, and I was re energized. I still like camera 'hunting', but it isn't nearly as fulfilling or exciting as chasing critters with stick and string.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline koops4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by BowHuntingFool:
Not much except I wish I would of made the switch way earlier!     :archer2:  
X2
Paul

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Tim...nice to hear your regrets but understand that you wouldn't have the same appreciation for Trad hunting without the time spent with wheels. Also, time with friends and family is also more appreciated having spent time solo hunting.

I thought you were talking about me when you explained your situation! The only difference is that I try and look at it as a learning experience knowing now what matters to me. I often think that if I didn't get the trophy wheel bow hunting out of the way then I wouldn't have the passion for stickbows that I do today!

In terms of regrets...senseless flinging of arrows and not focussing on form while developing TP in the process. Also, shooting #55 and #60 curves when I was 15-17 years old making the form even worse. An ongoing regret is forgetting to pick a spot. Seems as though every year I need to relearn that one!

Great thread BTW!....Ryan

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
wish would of started earlier

started with 40 or 45 pounds, so not to learn bad habits

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
Wish I had started earlier, and shot more bows before buying some of the bows I bought, and wound up selling. Should have ignored the people who told me I needed a 55-60# bow to kill whitetail deer. Wish I had learned to tune arrows before I started trying to tune arrows, so maybe I wouldn't have such a large box of arrows that are too short.    :banghead:

I reckon I learned what little I know the hard way...but it sure was fun.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
Great thread!! Wish I would have started earlier, for sure. And like most others wish I would have started with less weight. I have to agree with Ryan....PICK A SPOT. I seem to forget that sometimes when I leave the back yard range.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
I wish I would have found tradgang when I first started, I could have saved a lot of money reading about how to properly set up a bow and tune arrows rather than just experimenting myself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©