3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stalking footwear  (Read 580 times)

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Stalking footwear
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
Hey Gang,
    watched a hunting show the other day with a fella bowhunting desert bighorn sheep in Mexico.  As he closed in the last few hundred yards, he slipped off his boots and put on a pair of toe shoes (the type used by barefoot runners) over which he put on thick socks.  That looks like just the ticket for the jagged, rocky country he was hunting.  
     Now I typically put on a heavy pair of socks for the final stalk, but it can be mighty hard on the feet.  Got me wondering what you all like to where for stalking? Any homemade stalking footwear out there?  

Cheers, Matt

ps-the guy got his sheep
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stalking footwear
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
I don't really do any stalking here in Michigan but I've always wanted to try a pair moccasins.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by JMR:
I don't really do any stalking here in Michigan but I've always wanted to try a pair moccasins.
Don't wear the ones with leather bottoms.  When wet, they are slicker than whale snot.

Mine have the airbob soles, and it feels like wearing a pair of socks.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
When I was a kid, you could buy a pair of heavy duty moccasins from "Tandy". They were called "Bull Mocs". I'm on the lookout for them or something similar.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
Ya gotta use "Sneakers"! Chuck Taylor Black High Tops!! About the Quietest thing I have next to Bare Feets!   :goldtooth:    :laughing:   @ Whale Snot!!   :laughing:    :laughing:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
I have used the Vibram Five Fingers to relativly good effect.  These come with some limitations, namly that if you don't use them a LOT (I run ultras in them also), then you won't want to just go out for a long hike/hunt in them right at first.  You'll wind up hobbled unless you build into them.  (Enter the barefoot vs shod arguments.)  Also, they are not that great in the hard cold.  There isn't much insulation.  

On the upside, you can feel EVERYTHING under your feet.  If you step on a cricket you can count his legs.  They are soft and flexable.  Some models have pretty good traction, and all of them are servicable off road.  

You probably wouldn't want these to be your only footware, but they do have a place.  Unfortunatly, they have really caught on the past three or four years and have nearly doubled in price.
Silence is golden.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
I was eyeballing a pair of high school wrestling shoes (not the kind the Iron Shiek used to wear)at the local sporting goods store.  I would bet they would make a great pair of stalkers.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
Wrestling shoes! Exactly what I used to use in the early MI bow season. I actually found some camo Asics (if I remember correctly) one time at a sporting goods store for around $30 on sale.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
Good old ASICS Wrestling Shoes! Great Idea!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
I use the LL Bean main hunting shoes they are great, and seem to be real quiet!!
Wrestling shoes seem like a great idea!!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
The best I ever used were Converse All Star high top sneakers. In cooler weather LL Bean boots.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
Bean boots. Except on steep ground
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 12:07:00 AM »
Water shoes! Soft flexible rubber bottoms, expandable tops , lots of different styles and colors....and they only cost around $10 at wally world

http://www.target.com/p/Womens-and-Mens-Beach-Socks/-/A-13335039  

Link for picture purposes only....not trying to sponcer them!

I liked them so much that i removed the top and inserts and then sewed the bottoms to a pair of medieval boots.
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 01:04:00 AM »
I use "Tabis" in early season when it doesnt matter if you get wet and it's warm outside, I even sneak around bare feet sometimes if it's realy hot (I do that alot during summer  ;)  )
Gives a greate feeling, almost as going barefooted.

http://www.artesguerreras.es/WebRoot/StoreES/Shops/ea3196/4897/1C34/14FA/E660/A73D/D94C/8776/938C/60410_g_m.jpg
"Relax your mind and understand nature"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 01:35:00 AM »
You can remove your boots and stalk in sock feet for the last bit if the ground is noisy-works fine!

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 06:42:00 AM »
chuck taylors for comfortable climates because even the lined ones get cold if its chilly out ,,, at certain hunting spots I'll put on very heavy cheap socks right over my boots when I'm on dirt roads or trails where you boots will always scuff the ground--> hard at first but they stretch to fit and go on easier  each time, or Moccs--> but Moccs are awefull for hills with leaves and dragging deer BUT someone told me to try those ice fishing spikes over the moccs when dragging deer so it may work but its one more thing to carry..
"Us vs Them"

Offline STUMP THUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
While hunting plains game in Africa (spot and stalk)the only thing the PH wanted to use was heavy wool socks, 3 pair, because every thing else was too noisy. We were hunting in shale and burn sections. Hard to hunt all day in stocking feet, he was use to it, he didn't have a problem.
Feet still hurt a month later!
We were the most successful?
Fred

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
I use mocs almost exclusively.  Elk hide, with rough side out.  Not slippery when wet, but you really have to watch where you step.  Thorns will stick you.  Of course that's added incentive to go slow.  Out west I have used mocs with a rawhide sole.  Those are good for cactus, but slick when wet and on grassy slopes.  You can make your own mocs in a few hours...

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
I am yet to find a compromise that won't let the stickers in.  This season I spent more time in cholla thickets than I care to recall.  Some of the stickers are still waiting to come out.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Michael Pfander:
I am yet to find a compromise that won't let the stickers in.  This season I spent more time in cholla thickets than I care to recall.  Some of the stickers are still waiting to come out.
MAP
Ah, the dreaded cholla!  I went to school in Tucson, and the cholla were my nemesis.  I once had a cholla sticker in my hand for 6 months. The barrel cactus are nasty also.  Those things will go through boots!   I don't think quiet and cactus proof footwear exist.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©