3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stalking footwear  (Read 579 times)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stalking footwear
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Five fingers in the new low boot version.   I used a pair last season and will never hunt without them again.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
I saw a Fila version of the vibram for $40 at Academy, wonder if they would do the job

and I just remembered I should have a pair of wrestling shoes somewhere in the house, I'll take them on the nex hunt and to try them
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline sinawalli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
My hunting partner swears by a pair of runners with gore tex socks! I tried it, but I need ankle support. I used a pair of Wellco Tuff Cushion jungle boots, and they work well, as long as it isn't cold. Problem with 5 Fingers or mocs is that when you get a big animal down (moose, elk), I would hate to have to pack out quarters wearing them!
That which doesn't kill me, will make me stronger!

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
For a number of years I've been nursing along an old pair of Cabela's Silent Stalker sneakers.  The old version had a very thin soft rubber sole with no heel but with a surprisingly high-traction, quiet, and durable chevron pattern.  The new one is a modern light hiking sole that looks to me like it would be much noisier and give less feel.  I actually got on a few websites to ask hunters to write Cabela's and request a return to the whole sole, as I did.  For that matter, I like the entire new boot a lot less...but that old boot was fantastic.  I should have bought half a dozen or more pairs!

I do carry a pair of Five Fingers now, but don't like how long they take to put on and how they start to smell pretty quickly.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
GFA has a good section in his Stillhunting book on footwear.  He mentions mocassins, converse all stars, but I don't recall anything about wrestling in whale snot.    :D  

I have a pair of leather boots made in Fiji that are of a 'cheap' enough quality that the soles are thin and flexible.  They actually work good for stalking, because they bend over and around sticks, twigs and stones on the ground causing less cracks, snaps and noises.  I like ankle support and protection for my feet in a mid-high leather boot.

Re: mocassins, I think GFA recommended getting rubber tire shreds and glueing them on the bottoms with rubber cement to provide traction.

I've been out of the States for too long.  Those five fingers shoes look weird.  Hadn't seen them till today!  So you wear special 'finger' socks with them, or no socks at all?  We've come a long way baby.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
Bean Type boots seem to work most of the time!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Merrell Barefoot shoes. easier to wear socks with them. Same barefoot feel as the five fingers. You don't get the wierd looks. They feel like high tech moc's

Offline Jim Rocole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
I use the Vibram Five Fingers but they do get a stink after a while. A person definetly has to get used to weraing them though or your feet will kill ya. My go to are a pair of Russell  Thula Thula PH  Moccassins. I have worn them out ELk hunting twice now and love them. Granted I did not wear them in areas with a lot of shale or rock but extremely quiet and comfortable. An everyday shoe for me around the woods and yard during the summer and early fall.

Offline Uncle Bun Bun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by JockC:
For a number of years I've been nursing along an old pair of Cabela's Silent Stalker sneakers.  The old version had a very thin soft rubber sole with no heel but with a surprisingly high-traction, quiet, and durable chevron pattern.  The new one is a modern light hiking sole that looks to me like it would be much noisier and give less feel.  I actually got on a few websites to ask hunters to write Cabela's and request a return to the whole sole, as I did.  For that matter, I like the entire new boot a lot less...but that old boot was fantastic.  I should have bought half a dozen or more pairs!

I do carry a pair of Five Fingers now, but don't like how long they take to put on and how they start to smell pretty quickly.
I have been through two pairs of the Cabela's boots you are talking about. They were perfect for our hot bow season here in south Georgia. I've considered the new one's but feel the same as you that they might not be as quiet.
It is pleasant to have been to a place the way a river went. - Thoreau

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
I use Arrow moccasins for most everyday work and hunting activities.  I like the double sole ankle-high model.  The double sole is not quite as good for ground feel as would be the single, but it wears better and overall is the most comfortable footwear I own.  I have a pair of stretch rubber Totes overshoes that slip on easily and work well for rainy, wet, muddy or light snow conditions.  Arrow also makes a higher top mukluk model with a gum rubber type of sole for deeper snow use.

Soft Star in Oregon makes a number of mok-type minimalist shoes that are very light weight and have a very thin sole.  The sole is hard rubber with gives good protection from sharp rocks, but it is very thin so you still get a good ground feel.  I use mine for running on gravel roads in the winter.  With thick wool socks they are good even when the temps drop into the teens. I plan to use mine for stalking shoes next hunting season.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
Why not carry a pair of bedroom slippers with you and slip them on when ready to get sneaky?
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
I carry big wool socks with me, I'll put them on for the whole stock or even put them over my boots depending on ground and vegetation type (cacti, etc).
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline shallowobx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Check out a pair of New Balance MT101.  I have them for trail running but recently found they have a place still hunting too.  Can feel everything with the added bonus of a very thin metal plate to protect your feet.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Converse all stars.  Best stalking shoe ever built.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
I have some black chuck taylors with an EVA insole I added for more support. They are quiet but thats about all. I would not trek far in them. I wish Keene made a boot with a crepe sole instead of the lug soles they always market. Bet that would be the nut.
Also have used the Bean boot for many years. A good all around boot that is quiet.
Member NCBA

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
I like my high top dive shoes they have rubber soles and ankle high neoprene tops. I wear these in the cold and snow every day because my mocs are too cold.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
I saw that show...

I thought his stalking shoe/sock set up was interesting too.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
Agree on the Chuck Taylors (BTW Taylor grew up 20 miles north of me). You used to be able to get the felt bottom wrestling shoes dirt cheap but like a lot of things they have gotten hi tech and rather pricey now. Back in my high school days we wore a show/boot called a Chukar ( I think). Leather with gum rubber soles. I always thought they would make a good hunting show.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
I;m so glad that this thread came up...I have been wondering about the same things. I specifically was curious if anyone hunted with those vibram 5finger things.

I might try them. My other possibility is checking out some local "hippy"-style moccassin makers that actually use vibram boot soles sown onto buffalo leather uppers. It will probably cost an arm and a leg for a pair but you could get em made just how you want em.

I'm very interested in finding SOME type of footwear that is closer to a barefoot experience...

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2012, 07:06:00 AM »
I was reading the back issues of traditional bow hunter magazine and in 1995 thier was an add for a quality made slip on felt sole kinda like an ice creeper but it was made out of 5/8 inch felt. It looked like a great Idea.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©