3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool or Fleece?  (Read 687 times)

Offline monk

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool or Fleece?
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
If you could only have one and price was no object, which would you opt for wool or fleece and on which piece of apparel? ( wool for coat something else for pant etc.)

Offline monk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool or Fleece?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
And are the wools and fleeces different. Is Gray Wolfs wool different from day one for example?

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
I would certainly do wool! That is what I use, for every thing. I would like to find a light weight  "technical" wool pants for early season hunting and mountain hunting!!  Wool is tough, warm, bread well, warm when wet, and doesn't smell... But most of the time it is bulky and heavy.... And takes more time to dry than fleece!!

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Wool without a doubt. A coat is the basic piece to start with.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
They are different.  If you could only have ONE- it would be wool.  With that said- I like to use fleece for a number of settings.  Hope you can figure it out. . .  I have not yet!     :confused:

Dan down in Kansas
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Took me 25 years to figure out wool is where it is at ! No more man made fibers for me. Start with a good base layer of merino wool like Ullfrotte' First Lite, Minus 33 etc, etc. Then layer up with as much wool as needed depending on temps and wind speed. My mid layers are 100% wool sweaters from Goodwill @ $3-$4 each. My late season outer layer is my Gray Wolf Woolens vest over my wool longjohn shirt, and a cheap Goodwill sweater. 3 layers on my torso and a thin bow arm. The thing you will love about wool is the huge comfort range versus man made fibers. Does not hold odors ! JMHO
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
Wool also absorbs light and will not reflect like man made fibers.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
I have worn both extensively.  Used to have an outdoor job.  I have ruined wool and fleece, and have worn out fleece, but not wool.  Wool is more durable, does not seem to hold scent as much as fleece, does not reflect light as mentioned above by NoCams.  If I could only have one, it would be wool.  Plus, it is a renewable resource.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
Wool. Millions of sheep cannot be wrong
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline WTT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 01:45:00 AM »
100% Wool. A little harder to care for but nothing compares to it.
Todd

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 01:47:00 AM »
I use both-wool is way better if you are dealing with really crappy weather.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 02:16:00 AM »
Wool is better, when the weather is lousy and you get wet.  However, fleece comes in a wider selection of weights, and seems to dry faster. Neither are great in the wind, without a windbreaker.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 06:26:00 AM »
Have both,fleece stays at home
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 06:34:00 AM »
No concerns ever w/wool. Fleece has an odor when wet. IMO, fleece is warmer. If one or the other, wool.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 06:35:00 AM »
my favorite is light fleece under medium wool,,,, if you put off a stink then you always will stink thats all there is too it,, when its normal or faint your used to it and don't smell it but  when its bad you'll notice it but it is ALWAYS there my friends ah ha ha ha ha...

I'd say only one would be at least a 22oz wool shirt or jacket,, depending on the weather theres either a vest over that or flannels under it..

also I've spent a day in the Pouring rain in around 40 degree weather wearing a Filson Double Mackinaw jacket just to see how it felt and yeah it may not get cold enough where you'll freeze to death but it isn't a camp in the park either it actually was pretty miserable with the water going right through and then dripping down my body right into my socks and boots,,,, I'd take a nice rain coat over any of my wool jackets when rains in the forcast anyday.

so if there was more choices and i could only have one fabric and it was a matter of survival in all elements of weather,, after wearing Good wool for 15yrs which i still wear everyday I'd look into something else.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 06:49:00 AM »
Wool hands down. I have tried several different types of wool and now use King Of The Mountain brand of wool clothing. I know it is exspensive, but it will keep you warm and cozy in some extreme conditions and could even save you life. You can't go wrong wearing wool , you will stay warm even when wet. I layer wool just like you would with anything else. Even in warmer temp. it can be comfortable.

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 07:31:00 AM »
Wool for me. I have fleece and it has its place but for only one it would be wool.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
Get yourself either a Filson or Stormy Kromer single mac jacket. Both are made in in the good ol USA. Then layer smartwool long johns and sweaters underneath as needed.

Youll be prepared to take on anything. My legs never get cold so I usually just wear Microtex pant for the comfort and quiet and if it gets cold wool thermal pants under them.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »
In the Army we have all the gucci fleece stuff and gore tex these days.........but if you go to cold weather survival school you will still get issued US Army brown wool pants and shirt for the duration of the school.....

No fleece.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
Wool, wool, and wool. Teresa Asbell's stuff is the current wool of choice for me.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©