3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool or Fleece?  (Read 685 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool or Fleece?
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
Wool over fleece everytime. Fleece makes me sweat, it doesn't breath ANYTHING like wool.

We have some fleece blankets around the house, they are certainly "fuzzy" and feel good against your skin, but don't be fooled. It is basically wrapping yourself in plastic.

I have wool thin enough to wear on a warmish day, through the thick stuff good for the arctic. No single garment can do everything, but a bowhunter in the midwest can get away with light and medium wool and layer properly.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
Good quality wool, hands down. In addition to all the other qualities noted, it doesn't retain odors like synthetics.

But keep in mind that there can be a world of difference between good wool and cheap wool.

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
WOOL, No question!!!

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
Read Russ Clagett's post above..... as dumb as our govt is even they know the choice is wool when it comes right down to it.

As others have mentioned about rain and wool, I am not a fan of wearing a wool outer layer if it is going to be a steady rain. I wear a rain suit over my wool. I am fat enough already don't want to weigh 300lbs with my wool full of water. If I got caught in a light rain for a normal morning or evening sit in wool only I would still be fine. JMHO
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
FLEECE IS PERFECT (for sitting around camp.) For being outside, start with a wool jacket and hat to protect core temps. Also I wear wool socks so I've built up a nice selection of thicknesses to pick from in the morning.
Thom

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
I think it depends on the environment that you hunt in. Both have a place in keeping you warm and dry but within a 20 degree difference you could freeze in one and sweat to death in another. So buy both and learn how to incorporate them both in your hunting.JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
I just got my first good wool jacket last week so I am reserving judgement. If you are sitting in very cold dead quiet conditions, nothing(including wool) is more quiet on the draw for a close animal than fleece. Performance when wet isn't as big of a concern for me. I don't hunt in the rain typically, and when I do, I use an outer rainproof layer. The quiet factor is not as big of an issue in the rain for me. That being said, maybe I will change my mind with wearing my new wool.

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
I've used both exstensively and I like fleece. But, wool rules and wins out over the fleece most of the time.(nut)
Rich Potter

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
To pick only "one", it's wool.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
WOOL......the only thing better is another layer of it. It's silent, warm and even retains heat when wet. Buy the best you can afford...but even cheap wool is better than no wool!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Wool.  Particularly in wet weather. Wool retains up to 84 % of your body heat when wet.   Wet fleece actually pulls heat from your body.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
I use both. I had a pair of black and red checkered Woolrich pants years ago, (they uuhhh shrunk since then) that I loved winter hunting in. Now, I use mostly fleece. I do plan on checking out the Asbell wool stuff at Denton Hill this year.

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
I use a lot of wool.  From my base layer to insulation layer.

I have a reallove for Merino Wool.  Mostly from Smartwool, Icebreaker and Ibex Shak

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
I definitely prefer wool. For me wool has a certain natural "warm" feel to it. I'm not talking about its insulative properties, but rather an inviting, comforting warmth. I find wool to be cool when needed and warm when the temps dip.
Fleece on the other hand seems to roast me or leave me with a chill. When I have worn fleece I put off a horrific odor almost immediately.
Another huge plus to wool is the safety factor when around camp fires or hot stoves. Fleece can be very nasty in those situations!
Bottom line...I prefer natural fabrics across the board.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
wool.  no doubt.  Did all the fleece a long time ago.    Wool
ChuckC

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
I love to layer with wool,sometimes in mild weather i use fleece because the pattern you can find,but the underlayers are always of wool.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
Fleece all the way. But I will be in the minority. It HAS TO BE GOOD FLEECE though. I am talking the waterproof, gortex, wind-shear, silent stuff. IMO the really good technology with the fleece trumps wool any day of the week.

People will say that wool is warm when it get's wet. I agree, but waterproof fleece won't get wet, period. Also wind cuts through wool in my experience, and you can not machine wash it like fleece.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
I'm real fond of Wool!   :thumbsup:

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
Some wool can go right in a washer. My KOM has been through many times.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
USN Sam 1385,
Agree with you on the high performance liners in fleece. However, you can also get those in wool these days too. I love my GWW vest that is lined with Conformax windliner. NO WIND gets thru it. No need to wash wool, just hang it out to air out and use a brush to brush away dried mud. JMHO
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©