3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new to trad archery  (Read 203 times)

Offline yungbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
new to trad archery
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
So I just got my first trad bow, fred bear montana 45# draw. Feels good to get away from the compounds and can't wait till huntin season. But I need advice on what arrows, arrow weight, and broad head weight to shoot. I have a 29 inch draw and want to shoot aluminum. I've also been lookin at xx75 arrows and like them but don't know what weight to buy..
Any and all sugestions will be greatly appreciated!  :confused:

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: new to trad archery
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
Welcome to the Tradgang family.

Enjoy your journey along with the rest of us.

God bless,Mudd

PS: I've owned a few Bear Montana's, not a thing wrong with them.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
Welcome to the site and glad to have another fellow trad hunter in the ranks.

A couple thoughts here on the arrows. First, I would get your draw measured with the new bow using a marked arrow so that you can get a better idea of your draw length. It will typically be shorter than what you had with the wheels.

AS for the spine weight of the aluminum arrows that is going to depend a bit on your final arrow length and the weight of the tip you are going to shoot. I would recommend if at all possible that you find someone nearby that might have some arrows for you to test with and go from there. I know the first set of aluminum arrows I bought were too stiff, even with my 150 grain points, and they flew like crud. It made me really frustrated trying to figure out how to shoot with these arrows that really weren't matched for my bow.

Not too much help I'm afraid but hopefully you will be able to find someone with a few that you can test with. Regardless, enjoy!
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 02:40:00 AM »
Welcome to the gang!

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 04:48:00 AM »
Look at the top of this page and you will see a title "New To Traditional Archery" just under the "TradGang.com store" icon.  There is a lot of good information there to help you get started in the right direction.

Also, check out this link to the "Trad Bowhunters of Virginia" forum and you may be able to hook up with some guys there to help you in person.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum&f=83&submit=Go

Enjoy, and welcome to tradgang.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 05:10:00 AM »
I would try a 2016 that should put ya where ya need to be.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 07:16:00 AM »
Welcome aboard and get ready for a fun and challenging journey. Stick with it and I promise you won't regret it. I have shot a Montana as well and they are great bows! I stopped shooting Aluminum many years back but I will agree with Plumber, a 2016 should be a good place to start.

Good luck!

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
Welcome,

I am new here as well. I have a couple Montana Longbows 50# and 60#, I love the bows. I guess, like you that is what I started with so I judge all other bows compared to the Montana.

My 50# shoots Gold Tip  5575 with 250 grains up front like darts. I like the carbons and wood arrows over aluminum but this is a personal choice. You can make a lot of different arrows work for you, just start off with different weight field points, they're way cheaper to play with than a bunch of different size arrows.

I would recommend replacing the factory grip, rest and side plate right away so you do not have to tune the bow twice. The factory grip, rest and side plate will not last long with much shooting. I would also recommend a good flemish twist string, a good string will make a big difference on your bows performance.

I wish that I would have seeked out advice when I started. I think you have picked a great place for advice. Enjoy your new bow.

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
Just started the traditional journey myself this past fall. A couple of websites that I have found very helpful are:   http://heilakka.com/stumiller/  and  http://www.bowmaker.net/tuning.htm  The first one will help you get very close with your initial arrow selection, the second wil help you tune 'em in once you have the arrows.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline jbat73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
Go to Eastons home page under Products, to Shaft Selector, you will get a good idea of what to start with. I usually start with a shaft size longer than I think I need so I can cut down the arrow shaft as I am tuning to get perfect flight, J
White Mountain Traditional Bowhunters

Granite State Bowhunters

Offline yungbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone, any advice on what weight head I should start with?

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
its hard to say. depends on how the arrows are flying and tuned to the bow. just remember a lighter head will make the arrow stiffer and a heavier tip will make it weaker. are you familiar with bareshafting? also a shorter arrow is stiffer than a long one of the same size.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
If you are in Northern Virginia we can help.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©