3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Selfbow Etiquette  (Read 683 times)

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Selfbow Etiquette
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
This is a great thread.  I think many people just do not know better.  It is up to the bow owner to instruct the inspector( my opinion) how to handle it.  Also I do have an Owl bow, they are pretty bullet proof, but I am still careful about just handing it over.  Lastly, people like to pic at the snake skins... not sure why they do that?  

Mudd, what a shame what happened to your bow.  A bow like that would be impossible to replace.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
Eric, I hope you are OK with this. It is self bow related.

Hey Mudd, I have an osage stave with some black marks on it that mean a lot to me. One day before Joe got sick I took that stave and met him in the parking lot at DFW airport where he worked as an engineer. Joe took a marker and laid out handle, fades, tips, etc. on the stave and told me "go for it"! I have thought over the years if I ever got good enough at making bows I might make a bow out of that stave. But then those marks would be gone. Here in north TX there are lots of bodark trees that will make lots of staves. But none of them will have Joe's marks on them. I think I'm OK with keeping that stave just the way it is. I miss Joe.

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
After reading this thread, I got motivated to go out and shoot my pig-nut. I must be a really good self bow maker, I need  to remind myself every so often how good that bow shoots. And no, you can't shoot it.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
As most people to whom you hand a bow will not have read these posts, and it seems to be a natural tendency to want to draw a bow, it would probably be a good idea, as wingnut suggested, to unstring the bow before handing it to someone.

Or if you're in the process of shooting it when someone wants to look at it, I don't see anything disrespectful in asking them not to draw it, just like you would explain to a kid about not dry-firing it.

Of course, it would be better if everyone understood these things, but since they don't, preservation of your bow would seem to indicate the wisdom of saying something yourself.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
I also hand them off unstrung. I still have people pull on the string. Id hate to have a bow damaged by someones ignorance so i wont give them the chance to damage it. They can draw it back after ive got the details clear.

Good post. May help spread the word.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
Be careful of handing someone an unstrung selfbow as well, as they are likely to try to string it BACKWARDS and break it.  Don't ask.
Silence is golden.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
We have probably reached the choir pretty well with this thread.

Even with my glass backed bows I'm careful of who I allow to hold it.  Some people think it's normal to draw it all the way back and dry fire it.  :scared:

I saw a guy hand his super short Kodiak Magnum to a guy at the range.  The guy was about 6'-6" with arms like a gorilla.  the bow made crackling noises when he suddenly pulled it back to full draw.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
i agree and would like to add that  a guy/gal should seek permission to draw anyone's bow regardless of the type of bow it is. I mean my bows are very special to me and I dont want some yahoo screwing it up
Make a life, not a living

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »
Good info - I've never drawn a guys bow or shot it without asking first. I know it's the first thing guys do as a compound shooter drew my recurve back when he asked to see it, I turned around and closed my eye's waiting for the dry fire sound, thank heavens he didn't.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:
Excellent advice, Eric. I never draw anyone else's bow (selfbow, glass, or otherwise) without asking first. To me, It's just common courtesy.
x2 Jason.

My hickory bow is tillered to my 27" draw. It's 48# at that draw, but it goes up to 53# at 28". I checked it just to be on the safe side. If it's stacking that much, that's too much stress! I'm guessing 29" would be disastrous.    :banghead:  

Thanks for bringing this up Eric. I just hope the non-self bow shooters read this too. They are the ones who really need to.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
I had NO IDEA that this was an issue with self bows.

That being said, I've never been comfortable drawing or shooting other people's bows, even when offered. It just feels weird to me. If I was planning to buy it, maybe, but my curiousity is always tempered with trepidation - what if I break the thing? How bad would I feel?

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
as a new  as i am at building selfbows, i havecome to trust more experienced builders/shooters than myself. several bowyers , batman, mr pat, stiks -n-strings, james parker, and mike treadway have all examined my work some with more intuitive pointers and some with approval or both. all in the interest in making a better bow.i trust these people with their expertise and opinions. i also usually ask if someone has had experience with selfbows. if not, i try to give a tutorial. oh, i almost forgot, i shot the first selfbow i ever made with bernie dunn.  nobody can pass up the chance to shoot with bernie, even with a new bow
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
Like Traxx, I will just say no. Even with glass bows, too. I had one guy pull my glass bow back and dry fire it. And that was after I had warned him not to do it.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
Once again learned something new here.  Thanks!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
I couldn't imagine seeing a selfbow that I put days of work into being ruined in one draw    :(    . I'm glad this was brought up. I had a giant friend of mine draw my 52" antique Kodiak Mag to at least 36" (way behind his ear and he is HUGE) My butt puckered up when i saw the limbs almost uncurl    :eek:    . To my relief and amazement, it didnt explode.
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
The comment about Ed Scott and his Owl Bows not having a set draw length is exactly opposite than what Ed told me a few years back at Cloverdale.  He asked thatI not draw a particular bow, with sinew on the back, to my full draw lenght while testing it.  Wood bellies are wood bellies and they can take only so much compression before the fibers crush.  I obliged him.  He was just too much of a gentleman to ignore.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
When asked to see one of my self bows I alway reply, "Please don't draw it back because it might break" Than I explain that it is used to being pulled 26 inches and any further it could break.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
What Christopher said!  Sinew backed bows...any wood bow is prone to excessive damage by overdrawing them.   Sinew is magic only in specific ways, but it will not protect the belly of a bow, and may even exacurbate (did I spell that right?) the problem, so be careful.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
Ill third,what ChristopherO,and Mark Baker stated.I couldnt hardly believe,that those statements were credited to Ed,but,i wasnt there,so i couldnt say for shure.It does contradict,what i know and what i know of Ed though.I wonder,if there wasnt a missunderstanding,on the topic.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
thanks I had no Ideal there was that much  involved.ED

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©