3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Selfbow Etiquette  (Read 685 times)

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Selfbow Etiquette
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
Thanks for this post!

I don't think I'd ever draw someone else's bow without permission, but there is always the anomoly, and I have monkey arms and wide shoulders, too.

Did not know that. Thanks again.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
I have been known to unstring a selfbow before handing it to someone for inspection.  

Mike
Me too--always!
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
I shoot annually at a couple of Mtn.Man rendezvous,that originally were all black powder,hawk+ knife events that now have primitive and trad archery courses.The clubs rules for primitive are:selfbows,no shelf,no plastic nocks,trad is recurve/longbow regular plastic nocked arrows.Because around peoples camps there is always blanket goods to be sold/traded,you really have to be carefull and keep a close eye on your self bows as they are a magnet to non archer traffic/visitors.I have seen many a train wreck and so learned the hard way.Great post,awareness is the answer.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
Well said Eric!
James Kerr

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the post Eric!  I did not know the draw length restrictions on selfbows.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
Good stuff Eric!
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Yeah...good stuff....

Someone needs to tell those folks that post shooting videos on you tube that it aint cool to hold them selfbows at full draw for 5 seconds either.

Dang it just irks me that they are ruining those bows    "[dntthnk]"     :(    "[dntthnk]"     :(    "[dntthnk]"
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
My selfbow etiquette is as follows;

Never leave my bow strung - prevents set

Never lean it against something - it may fall over and break a tip

Never lay it down - someone could step on it

Never hand it to someone else - They may over draw it

Never, never hand it to a woman - she may shoot you with it

:smileystooges:
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline OffTheKnuckle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
Had a decent looking Ben Pearon fiber backed bow off theauction place.  Just got comfortable with and I handed it to my wifes uncle.
He promptly drew it back BEHIND HIS EAR! with his arm stuck straight out.
It survived till the next session and broke after grouping 3 arrows touching at 10 yards.
I have another BP coming in hickory, I will not hand it to him.

Offline OffTheKnuckle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
Is there an Old Bow Sticky?

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
Great post.

Although I know I, personally, would be paranoid about drawing any wooden bow that didn't belong to me, this is something that I don't think most of us with no experience have ever thought about. I'm just getting back into archery and self bows weren't around when I shot. I doubt it would ever cross the mind of the average compound shooter that the bow might break. You have to remember, the majority of archers have only dealt with compounds which have a "wall." There's really no way to overdraw one of those.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
I want everyone to know I'm not a violent guy, or even really what I'd consider tough, or theatening. But this is what happened:

Once at a 3/d shoot, I leaned my selfbow against a bush to remove my jacket and I had a guy, I didn't even know, just walk up and grab my selfbow.  Fortunately, since there's no let off, he got it to a bout 25" and it was too heavy for him.  As I took it back from him, I quietly and politely informed him, that when he grabbed my bow, it was the closest he's ever come to feeling a steel toe boot on the side of his face without it actually happening. He started to say something, he stopped myself, and walked back to his buddys.  Not exactly ettiquete but he probably won't do it again.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline ScottL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
I had no idea that this was an issue. Most people hand me a bow and say shoot it. Probably doesnt matter too much with me since I am only a 26" draw though. Good info for in the future.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
That reminds me of a story that happened at one fo the early MoJams.  A well known wood bowyer that worked in mostly what I call second tier woods showed up with a beautiful bow he'd built from ipe.  He was sitting around the lantern one night (fire wasn't allowed) and handed the bow to Connie.  She asked if she could draw it and he said something smart like "if you think you can" so she pulled it back slowly.  At about 24" it blew up into about 12 pieces.  He was pissing and moaning that she'd overdrawn his bow and broke it.  For the rest of the weekend everybody that walked by Connie hid their bows.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Blackie76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
I do not hand a strung bow to anyone these days without clearly telling them not to draw it and why.  I recently built a bow for my father and my 6'2" brother who is 250 lbs of solid muscle drew it back to full draw.  Snap!

Luckily it gave me and my dad an excuse to teach my brother the noble art of bowmaking to replace that particular bow, so I consider that bow to have been a noble sacrifice.
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©