3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: D-bow question  (Read 713 times)

Offline pjsnell

• Trad Bowhunter
D-bow question
« on: January 15, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
With inspiration from Mickey Lotz' D-bow article from PA magazine, I cut down a small (4-5" diameter) ash tree and split it in half.  I have three decent staves to work with, and the rest I'll try to split and plane into shafts.

I have one stave roughed out to about 2 inches square and 75 inches long.  

Here's the question: should I remove the bark and rough the bow out, or should I seal the ends and let it season the way it is?  How long should it season for?

Thanks!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: D-bow question
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
I would remove the bark and immediately seal the back and ends. Once you do that go ahead and take it down to near bow dementions. It will dry quicker. You can even get it to about 4" of floot tiller without causing any stress problems. I like spray shellac for sealing wood. It goes down quick, dries fast and is easy to remove later.
  With the other staves I'd leave them to season as they are. As far as how long, I go by sound and feel so the time is hard to say but this time of year wood seems to dry quicker than in the summer.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©