3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Barrel tapered Ash  (Read 390 times)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Barrel tapered Ash
« on: February 02, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
Spent an hour talking with my bowhunting buddy last night about bows/arrows etc...

I would really like to shoot barrel tapered ash again. (have a dz left). My supplier went out of business a few years back. He would hand weigh, spine then cut and taper each end for me.

Any wood arrow sponsors out who deal with ash....info would be appreciated. Thanks......
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Barrel tapered Ash
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
I'll be watching this thread too Skipper!   :saywhat:

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
I had some of those back in the 90's. Man they were tough!!! I never did shoot an animal with them, but with the weight they carry I would not shy away from shooting anything.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
Ted at Raptor Archery will serve them up just like you want. No problem.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
Joe, I got some barrel tapered Magnolia(super cedars) from Don Stokes a few years ago. Not sure if they are the equivalent of Ash(never shot or had any Ash). Not sure if that helps. Tim
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
I have a dz SuperCeeders here...left over when I was a Quillian Dealer. The ash I use to buy and hunt with were tough, small diameter and finished weight around 610 grains. Spined 55-60# they flew great from my Groves and Stealth.

The 50-55# flew like darts from my 55# longbow and they weighed in at 540 grains. I'll give Ted a PM..Thanks...by the way....DO NOT recommend Allegheney...
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
"DO NOT recommend Allegheney"

How come? If this is sensitive please PM me.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
Not barrel tapered but I have a dozen Ash shafts 60-65 squirreled away, for a special occasion. When and if I ever draw a Moose tag!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
Ross and Jeff Vickers have some ash arrows I have a set that footed with ask and there awesome arrows.

Brandywine Traditional Arrows

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
GROANNNNN.... boy you bring back some wretched memories...  "[dntthnk]"  

When I got started, I busted up so many aluminum I had a buddy who shot ASH...suggested I try them for durability.

always trying to improve, I got Dean Torges tapering kit... and as you say, even back so many years ago, Allegheny ash shafts had such wretched run-out on grain...I could taper in one direction but CHATTERED the entire shaft in the opposite direction...

Working with Ash is where I got my handle... trying to figure out the grain orientation with all that run out after I tapered the nock end... fussed one day loudly using a Woodchuck taper tool of a buddy's and hollared "ya need a DAXM PHD to figure out this miserable grain on the nock end!"

Alas, "Doc Nock!"

That...and straightening and keeping them straight drove me near to distraction! I gave up and eventually went to carbon! Boom!

Buddy gave em up too, and finally went to laminated birch...loves them.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
I used Silent Pond barrel tapered shafts for a few years. Tough shafts for sure!! Heavy too, but tougher to keep straight than cedar for me.  I remember shooting a Grizzly head on an ash shaft into a 'bionic' buck at a broadhead shoot one year.  It stuck in the steel and the shaft was fine.  I left a note taped under the head that said "Ray Lyon killed the bionic buck" and of course the editor of the state bow hunting organization took a picture and it was in the next months magazine.  Anyway, as said above, good ash shafts make some of the toughest arrows in my opinion.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
Joe: If I have them in the spine you need I can make some up for you if you are not in a hurry.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
Doc Nock....ROFF    :laughing:  

Bill...I will PM you later...Thank you...

Seriously guys...I've said this in a few other posts, if Silent Pond was still in business, I would still be shooting his BTA shafts.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
Joe: The shafts I have are Silent Pond shafts.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
Don't forget about hickory. I got some nice ones made by a guy down south Alabama no longer in business. Great arrows and tough too. I don't know what's tougher ash or hickory. But ill place my bet on hickory.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Joe,

Why do you have to be so complicated? My time in Cali has taught me to just chill. Take what you can get. LOL
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
Joe relax!   :biglaugh:   Good one Bill!
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
I have been making and hunting with ash for four years now, I have tried most everything else and will stick with ash arrows. I am in the middle of making a couple dozen tappered ash arrows. I have been splicing turkey feathers and have to grind them. I will post some pic's when finished,Mark.
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
Holy God...the California Skate Boarding Champ finally shows up with a post.....   :laughing:    :laughing:    :dunno:

Good hearing from you Bill...don't be such a stranger......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©