3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ready to pull trigger on new longbow but.....  (Read 397 times)

Offline emac396

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
ready to pull trigger on new longbow but.....
« on: February 02, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Its 66" long and I have been shooting short recurves, should I worry about length? I hunt from treestands 99% of time. I am 5' 9"with a 27" draw. Going to decide by tomorrow.Its a Bamabows Elite classic.   :dunno:    :dunno:  

HELP!!??
                  Ed

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ready to pull trigger on new longbow but.....
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
I hunt with a 64" from a treestand.. Just have to be aware of the bow..
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
Do it. If you don't like it, you can sell it. I shoot a 68" Kohannah. I'm a bit taller than you at 6'6", but it's fun to shoot. No problem out of a hang on type stand. Good luck.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
It may be longish for you...but it should be super smooth and forgiving at your 27” draw!  Have you shot it or is it an online purchase?  If you have shot it, do you like it?  What do you like about it?  If it's how it draws and shoots than...go for it.  It's not a mortgage...all bows are re-saleable.   I am 6' plus an have had issues with 66" bows, but that is the length I choose to shoot right now @ 28"…and from tree stands 99% of the time!  If you’re not over-bowed you can draw a 66” at all sorts of steep angles, ways, etc.   It depends on how you setup your tree stands too.  You have to like the bow…know why you like it, then stand by it to at least give it chance.  Try it, then you'll develop your own opinion.  

Best of luck!

Kris

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
A 66" is the shortest bow I shoot and I also hunt mostly from treestands.  I don't have problems even with 70" and hunt mostly with 68" but I practice canting my bow different amounts.  I have a 66" Bama bow and wish it was longer.

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
If I was pulling 27 I would go with a 64.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
What type of treestand(s) do you hunt from? From a hang/Belt on? As long as there is no safety bars in front just a belt you can still shoot even sitting. Or at least I can with even a 70" longbow.
...Mark

Offline primitivealltheway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
loc on stand no problem,but a climber you have to be aware where your bottom limb is.
"nothing like being in the woods with a stick and string"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
I don't think you will have any problems out of a tree stand if you pick your shots right. The longest bow I have ever hunted with was a 64" Bear Montana and I had no problems what so ever. The only time I could see it cause an issue is trying to shoot it out of a blind.
James Kerr

Online bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
I have a 64 inch Bama Elite Classic. Very smooth shooter. Can't go wrong with the Bama. I am 5'10" with 27 inch draw. My bow is 50@28.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline emac396

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
Unfortunately I have not shot it, I have been interested in one for quite some time I looked to shoot one at Denton Hill and Kalamazoo but did not find a opportunity. I am gonna go for it its a fair price for a beautiful bow from a fellow tradganger how can I go wrong. Thanks for input I just needed a little cokesing. I did some searching in past posts and nothing but good things about BamaBows and Nate. I am excited!!

Ed

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Ed, one thing is for sure, you will have a beautiful bow and Nate is a great person to deal with.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
I just picked up an old Raptor signature longbow from Ted at Raptor Archery.  It's only 60" long, but draws real smooth.  I'm 6'1" and I love shooting it.  You should check them out.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
Much depends on your form.  Cant the bow a lot or shoot very vertical and you shold  be ok in open stand.  I cant a little and catch the inside of my bow arm side leg if not carful  with anything over 60".  This happens on the under 10 yd. shots from about 20' up.  Just something I have had to work on.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
Grab a stick, piece of pvc, broom handle etc. of the right length and tie a string to the ends.

If you can set up your stand in the yard or somewhere and see what you think.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 12:57:00 AM »
One thing's for sure, you can't go wrong with a quality "stick" like the bamabow. I've only had mine for a couple of weeks now (thanks to emt137), but I'm loving it! I would think as long as you have you're folding saw handy to take care of any problem branches / foliage, you should be fine. If you decide you don't like it and it's in the 40-50# range, let me know, I'll see if I can take it of your hands.  ;)
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 03:34:00 AM »
If you can shoot with the bow rolled over it is not the length of the bow that is the problem, it is the nearness of the next tree. My problem is I like to set up in tree clusters and by the time I realize that I don't have enough room I have also run out of my desire to move the stand, so I hunt on the ground under it. My son has shot a bunch of deer out of tree stands with a 68" longbow.  I shot 6 deer because of where I hung my climbing stand. I shot pheasants, turkeys, squirrels and even a coyote from the climber, but no deer. It made a comfortable place for me to sit before I headed back to the car, on the trip to and from the stand I shot my deer. I was using a 90 pound 70 inch Hill those years, but I shot okay from the widow maker anyway. Some kind person stole the seat part of it, so now I just stay on the ground.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
I just don't get why a shooter with your draw would want a bow that long? I draw 31 and am shooting a 56 " longbow , yeah I know short isn't for everyone . You did say however you where shooting a short curve ? Why try to go so long on a longbow , there are many great bows between say 58 - 62 that are smooth and great shooters . Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
To me, there are three lengths of bows; short (48"-54"), medium (55"-60") and long (> 60").  When it comes to shooting out of a tree roost or in brushy areas, the difference between a 64" and 70" bow becomes a moot point to me.  I'd suggest just trying different lengths and going with the one that shoots best for you.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Ask that the bottom tip be shortened as much as possible without interfering with the string groove.  It may make the difference one day between hitting a deer and thumping the bottom of the treestand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©