3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The NEGATIVE Power of the Typed Word...  (Read 618 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
The NEGATIVE Power of the Typed Word...
« on: February 02, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
I had a conversation today that lead me to this post.

I've posted about this before, but figured I'd take the time to post again as I'm not sure how long it would take me to find what I posted.

When you get an email from an Admin from Trad Gang....PLEASE remember to read the email in a FRIENDLY manner instead of a chastising one. It is WAY to easy to assume that we/TradGang are typing down at folks when we are not.

Once someone thinks we are typing that way, they respond in the same manner and it is obvious that their email has an edge to it....and depending on our day and frustration factor, we sometimes fall on our face and then DO type back in a negative tone.  Then, things get out of hand and its not good for the member or Trad Gang.

We aren't perfect, and sometimes may not type in the correct way to make SURE you know we are not negative...most times we are in a hurry as we have real jobs and families to tend to also....so we could easily not carry out our duties in the correct manner to avoid misunderstandings.

This occurrence I dealt with today was a total misunderstanding of the typed word by an Admin, and this lead us to temporarily lose a member.

The email contained the phrase " NO NO NO,...you can't do that"...to be read in a manner of a kid sticking a bobby pin into an outlet....NOT 'NO NO NO' with a finger in the members face like the member read it.

So, please remember, we are not out to 'piss folks off' in we feel there is an infraction, we are trying to inform you of the rules and what we go through here to keep the site on course.

It saddens me to think how many of these correspondence have gone wrong and caused folks to have left the site.

If you think you might have been in the middle of a miss understanding some time in the past  between an admin....please feel free to contact me so we can get it ironed out.

Thanks for listening..........        :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The NEGATIVE Power of the Typed Word...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
:campfire:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
Some folks just have thin skin and get defensive too easily. As a person who's had a question pulled for being "off topic" I say thanks to the Mods for the work you do in keeping us all on the same track, if it weren't for yall this site would wander off like soo many others have.

We're all human and subject to a little "Oh yeah, well then" mentality now and then.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
No problem, Boss! Good reminder that it goes both ways and I'm sure y'all get worn out seeing the same infractions over and over.

Bisch

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to write this post!   :thumbsup:     :clapper:I for one, can be a negative typer. Have learned to try and keep my mouth shut and listen. Amazing how much I've learned!
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Got it Terry.
A couple years ago I engaged in a discussion where I sort of got heated and represented myself in a less then favorable manner.

I received a pm from Rob that I initially took wrong. After cooling off and rereading it I realized that he was actually being quite diplomatic.

It's very difficult to convey the nuances of effective communication with the written word. The mods here need a couple new fonts:

The STERN font.
The FORGIVING font.  And the most needed;
The SARCASTIC font.

Seriously, thanks for all you do Terry, Rob and all the rest!
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Definitely need the sarcastic font!
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Terry, We appreciate your patience. While I have not had the pleasure of being chastised like that, I can imagine how I would respond if I were a moderator and on a bad day got fed up with the folks who simply cannot follow or comprehend simple directions. How do you keep it in check?
Thanks for the great site
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
Very well put Terry. That's the bad thing about computer talk. Can't express emotions. I think it would help emensly if folks just read the rules and followed them. If they're uncertain about something just ask. Thank you for this place!

Matt
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
Well put Terry! I know it must be hard on yall to keep this site up and running not to mention keeping it on track.  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
James Kerr

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Yeah....its like I told the guy....when you go watch a play, and you enjoy it...you have no idea what all is going on back stage....nor how many folks are back there.  In that instance, there can be MORE folks behind the scenes than on the stage.

In our case, there's some 30,000 folks on the stage with only 6 or so behind the stage!!!....and it does get chaotic at times let me tell ya.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Emails and PM's are the worst way to communicate. The giver and receiver can't add the personal part which conveys the intent of the message. I had the same problem once. My wife and I were on vacation in Oregon having a great time and I got a message from my boss with something I took very badly. Needless to say it ruined the remainder of our trip. When I got back I confronted my boss and of course I took it as nothing close to what he meant.

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
I always try to remember to take things with a grain of salt. Usually it works pretty fine!

Keep up the great work!   :thumbsup:    :campfire:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
All this X2.  Email/text is a terrible way to discuss anything unfortunately. No way to tell intent but to guess.

Keep an open mind and think.
David M. Conroy

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
When things seem too serious.....and I can come across that way...I am very thankful to have the "instant gremlins" to take the edge off.  

This is a tough way to get points across sometimes.  But I have to say the folks and the admin here do an outstanding job altogether.

Good advice, Terry!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
I just don't read any emails the admin sends me anymore, that seems to clear up any misunderstandings on my end   :D    :p

Seriously well put Terry...lots of frustration can be saved buy just taking a breath, re-reading the email/PM, and giving it a little thought before responding, rather than just giving a knee-jerk reaction based on our first formed opinion of what we just read.

In addition, a few questions to clarify something we read instead of assuming we know what was meant.....can do wonders for the communication.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
When correction is needed, it is needed but that doesn't mean that it should be taken as a personal affront.

Parents know this better than anyone.

I'm not saying we are children but... sometimes I act like one.

I love you folks!

God bless,Mudd

PS: Thank you T and the whole host of moderators for the thankless job you do so well.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
I hear ya Mudd....thanks....we get labeled as 'butt holes' by folks that have never met us....and that's a shame...since we are all 'fun and games' pretty much.

If you think we are 'out to get ya'...just come on a hunt with us once and you'll think differently.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©