3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: footing & spine????  (Read 198 times)

Offline roughneck3

• Trad Bowhunter
footing & spine????
« on: February 02, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
I'm playing around with Stu Miller's Spine Calculator because I'm going to foot some carbons with aluminum. When I do the calculations for adding a 2" footing at a total of 24gr it increases my spine by 6.4 pounds. I'm confused by this, I figure adding 24gr up front should weaken the spine and I don't see how only 2" of footing could cause any increase in arrow stiffness, due to the fact that I don't see those first 2" having any flex to begin with.

What is everyone elses thoughts on this?
I ain't on this rock to play patty cake!

Offline don_h

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: footing & spine????
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
The added weight would weaken the spine, but 24 grains shouldn't matter much, and a 2 inch footing shouldn't make any difference either. Except give you a pretty tough stumping/small game arrow.

Offline roughneck3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
don,
 Those are my thoughts also, but the calculator show an increase in spine by over 6 pounds.
I ain't on this rock to play patty cake!

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 12:05:00 AM »
Why not foot a bareshaft before fletching and see how it compares to the same bareshaft with no foot? I use just a one inch piece of aluminum on my carbons and they shoot the same as the non-footed arrows fletched. I would be interested in your results compared to Stu's chart.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »
Send Stu an email and ask what he thinks on the question.  I believe the calculator is wrong.  I have used 1 inch thru 4 inch footings and have seen no real appreciable difference in spine for the same arrows.   The added weight weakens them a bit as the foot length increases.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »
I've had the same results. No noticable change in spine either way.

Troy

Offline AKCrazyhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
I think the "theory" is that by sleeving the front 1 inch or 2 inches or what have you, you are making that portion much stiffer therby effectively shortening the shaft by that amount.  Now instead of a 29" shaft flexing upon release you have a 28 or 27 inch shaft flexing upon release.  I don't know if it makes a difference or not.  I foot mine prior to starting my tuning and take length off the back end and play with point weight to dial it in.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
It is weight added to the end so weaker acting arrow.  If the footing is real long and gets on the rest that, could change things a little moving the center of the arrow out a little.  

I would think the last few inches of a shaft bend, but so little I do not think you can even measure it without some very sophisticated equipment or measurements.

I have seen some noticeable change due to footing, insert and point changes where the combination was the same weight as a light inserted, no footing and heavier point, but the insert and  footing moved more of that weight in back of the end of the shaft.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
I think it increases the spine a little because there is that much less arrow to flex when shot therefore even though you are adding weight it is also like shooting a shorter arrow.
James Kerr

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
I just footed some 55-75's with 2" of 2216. I can see no difference in flight whatsoever. Most of the footing is over top a stiff glued-in insert anyway.

I like Stu's calculator but dont understand the footing part.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
I tried a long (4") footing. Just acted like extra weight. Made my arrows shoot weak.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
I tired some 3 inch footing on my carbons also.  When I bare shafted them, it made my arrows shoot weak; just like what Prairie Drifter said.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
the only way footings could inhibit the shaft's ability to flex would be if it were longer than the internal inserts which on the Easton/Beman Axis/MFX and others with the H.I.T.system would mean pretty long footings. These "calculator" systems sometimes are off by more than a little.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©