3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: when to go up in draw weight  (Read 376 times)

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
when to go up in draw weight
« on: February 03, 2012, 04:03:00 AM »
i want to get a heavier bow due to the rising  possibility of hogs and bears in my area so im wondering if ive been shooting my 45lb recurve everyday for the last month if it would be fine for me to jump up to 60 lbs and work up into that by next season
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: when to go up in draw weight
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 05:27:00 AM »
Eric, I went up from 50# to 63# in a few months by drawing my light limbs at least ten times morning and evening, both right and left handed and holding for 2, 3, 5 seconds gradually increasing over time.  

If you only have the 45# bow right now and if you can easily shoot it without fatigue, try drawing ten times and holding for 2 seconds at full draw each time.....then 3, then 5 seconds, and gradually increase as you build strength.  You will be surprised at how quickly you can work into a heavier bow.  Draw your bow both right and left handed so your back and neck muscles develop evenly.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 05:50:00 AM »
lotta critters - hogs and black bear - killed with a 45# stick bow.  that was pretty much the standard holding weight back in the 60's, specially here in the nor'east.

be extremely cautious when increasing yer holding weight.  you must be able to fully control your bow during actual hunt venue conditions, which is very different than inside yer comfy home and not under any mental or physical stress of the hunt and it's venue.  you must also produce consistent good accuracy and well flying arrows when afield during the chase, mostly in cold weather, too.

personally, 50# or so is plenty for hog and black bear with a good recurve or longbow.  won't take long to work up to another 5#, but going up to 15# more weight is something you may never fully master.  just saying.  again, yer consistent accuracy, and sharp cut on contact broadheads, are the prime goals - not so much the stick bow holding weight.

you might also wanna have yer current bow digitally checked to see precisely what energy (poundage) it's storing at your draw length.  you may be surprised one way or the other.  labeled weights on bows can be notoriously incorrect.     :saywhat:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
Eric,

Some simply enjoy shooting heavier bows and if you are healthy and take your time, there is no reason you can't shoot a heavier bow. Personally, I have increased from 55# holding weight in June of 2010 to 80#+ today and I can shoot them accurately, without shortdrawing, excessive strain or shaking. I have a 90# bow I currently use for exercises and have no problem shooting or hoding that bow at full draw for 10 second counts when exercising. To me there is really nothing like a heavy arrow screaming to it's target.

Here is the problem, you just can't pick up a heavy bow and yank that sucker back if you are used to shooting 45#s. You will need to work your way into the heavier stuff. Also you should develop an exercise regimen to not only work up to the heavier bows but also to maintain the ability to shoot them. You can't shoot the heavier weights once a week and expect to shoot them consitently. If you would like to hear about the exercises I use just shoot me a PM and I will let you know what worked for me.

As Rob mentioned above, you also have to keep "Actual hunting situations" in mind. Can you pull the heavier bow back in a hunting situation and it pays to practice shooting in simulated hunting situations. It does make a difference so also, keep this in mind. One thing I noticed was it will be harder to shoot the heavier bows when you have been sitting in a stand in cold weather for a few hours. You can over come this some by drawing the bow a couple times every hour or so, or if you hold on to some of your lighter weight bows as you work up to the heavier weights, use one of those as it gets colder. This is what I plan to do in 2012.

Just remember, where you stick them is more important than how heavy your bow or your arrow is. As has been stated 50# is plenty to kill deer, bear, hogs, etc. So it really comes down to what you want to do personally. If you decide to shoot heavier here is some advice:

1) Take it slow and listen to your body, at some point everyone hits a wall.
2) Don't ignore any signs of a bow being too heavy, an injury is much harder to recover from that building strength.
3) Don't me or anyone else tell you what you can or can't do. Make your own decisions based on what you research and gut feeling. (I did not do this and somewhat regret it)

Heavy bows are not for everyone and I still enjoy shooting my 56# Shelton(It sure is easy to shoot after going up in weight) For me it isn't some macho crap or any kind of "I am better because I can...." BS. I just enjoy it! Plus in many cases the used bows are cheaper!   :bigsmyl:

Good luck to you no matter what you decide is right for you and the main point to keep in mind is to have fun!!!!!!!!

Offline sorefingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
Hey Eric why not? Is there a standard in bow weight that we are to conform to?? Archery is a sport and we have many particapants some like light and some like heavy and we have those in the middle. As long as you enjoy shooting shoot what you want, and let others do the same. I must say who ever started the 45# is all you need idea have caused many to relax and stay right there. My way of thinking is if 45 is good 90 is twice as good. Just take it in stages and with some effort and time just keep moving up.
Love your willing spirit!!

:clapper:
psalm 83:18

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
Eric, I bounce back and forth between 54# and 64# all the time it just depends on the one I want to shoot that day and I'm 61 and not a big guy. The jump from 45 to 60# if your not used to it will take aliitle time, but you shouldn't have any trouble if your in good shape. Good luck in your endeavor.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
always remember the best weight to shoot is the one you can be most accurate with. If you can go heavy and be just accurate that is great but to go heavier and lose accuracy is just foolish
Make a life, not a living

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Do it while you're young, if you're going to do it at all!  As you get older you will find yourself going down in draw weight.  Personally, I see no need in going higher than 50# at your draw length.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Amen Eric! Plenty of folks assimilate heavier bows! Why? Not my business. But if they;re having fun it's OK with me. I'll just say they're habit forming. Keep it all in perspective & do what suits. Sure admire your interest however.

Great advice above. That Georgia boy appears doing something right. You need help just ask.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Forrest Halley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
Eric,
I started out with a 50# bow and everyone said it was too heavy and I was overbowed and the list goes on. When I moved up to a 60# that I bought for a 65# it became even more fun to shoot the 50. When I decided to order the 100# bow most people congratulated me on my new paperweight. I have used the lighter bows very little since as the heavy bow required so much attention initially that I became accustomed to how it fit my hand and now it's like an old friend. I urge you to figure out what you like and to follow blindly neither the 40# crowd nor the 100# goofballs like me.   :smileystooges:   If you seek more information on the latter check out the threads on the Dark Continent subforum. The world needs archers and there are bows out there that need loving homes.
Best Regards,
Forrest Halley
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
My advice is usually 4#'s increase max per year.

But Rob's post was perfectly put IMO.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
If you can draw it and control your shot than I say go for it. The main thing here is to not get over bowed. I shoot 55# and draw it easily if I wanted to move up I could but I think 55-60 pounds is about all you need for most game animals.
James Kerr

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
IMO thats quite a jump. Id prolly try and pick up a cheap used bow to shoot some thats about half way in between those weights
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
I can shoot a much heavier low wrist bow than a pistol gripped bow, it is easier to use a from bottom up swing/spread draw with a straighter gripped bow and the Hill draw is the strongest draw for me. I like to draw a heavy bow for strength training and then hunt with 2/3ths of that. If you want to hunt with 60 get a 90 pounder to work out with. I currently use two 64s at the same time as my workout bow. I hunt with 52 to those 64 pounders. I would agree that a 55 pound recurve is all the power anyone really needs on this side of the Atlantic.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
How refreshing it is to see someone actually trying to increase their bow weight, for a change!   Just do it gradually, and use common sense in your approach....there is no need to wear yourself out or overdue it, you'll get there if you want to.  Plenty of good discussion on here about shooting and practicing with heavier bows....go for it!  

I have always been of the mindset to shoot as much poundage....to have a measure of positive influence over the situations you can't control...as you are able to accurately and comfortably.   That ability will always serve you well, both in outcome and in confidence.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
Here's another thought.....increasing your draw length by an inch is like increasing your poundage by 10 lbs, I've been told, and I tend to agree.    So "upping" your weight at the expense of your draw length is not necessarily the better outcome.   Just keep that in mind.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
I have to agree with Mark's last comment regarding draw length vs. poundage.  I discovered that the hard way back when I thought I could shoot 65 lb., but was actually short-drawing it.  What a revelation when I got a chronograph and realized that I was getting the same speed from a 55# bow because I was able to draw it back farther.  

I'm a bit envious of those who can easily shoot 65# and up accurately, but we all have our limits, and I've been at this game enough years to know mine.  I still own a couple of bows that pull over 60# at my 26 1/2 inch draw, and I'll occasionally take a few shots with them when I am warmed up and loose, just because I can.  I do think the expression "use it or lose" applies to some degree.

I find that if all I ever shoot are my 50# - 52# bows I never feel comfortable shooting above that.  However, shooting sometimes with 55# to 60# seems to ensure that I can always easily shoot at least 52#, which is what I consider minimum for elk hunting.  Perhaps if all I hunted was deer I might not feel strongly about it, but even at the age of 67 I still think I have a few elk hunts left in me.

So, in answer to the original question, I would definitely work up in draw weight from the 45#, but I might use a bit smaller increments.  If all it accomplishes is helping you shoot the 45# better and more easily, that's still OK.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline marlon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
Eric the choice is up to you in what poundage bow want to shoot! I started with a 47# bow! Now I shoot 100# plus bows that me! I trained my body to shoot those high poundage bows never been hurt! Marlon
marlon torres

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
I like and shoot the heavier draw weights, but I have to agree with these guys who say that lighter draw weights can be just as effective. My advice is to work up carefully so as not to injure yourself. Next, make sure you can control the heavier bow before taking it afield.  Shoot the heavier bow in a practice session only the number of times that you can control. When you get tired, put it down before you hurt youslelf! By shooting regularly, it is not difficult to work up to a heavier weight - just don't rush it. If you notice, most everybody here is saying essentially the same thing, which is to train into it cautiously and don't force your progress faster than your body will accomodate.
Sam

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
I shoot from 45# to 95#. How will you know what you can do if you don't try. You will never get stronger without drawing more weight. Being able to draw a heavier bow has no downside as long as you maintain control and form, as mentioned above. Take it slowly, though. Who knows what the future holds?  Maybe someday you will have have the opportunity to hunt buffalo. Then you will be glad that you can pull a heavier bow. Good luck!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©