3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Draw length ? Wheels vs. Sticks  (Read 295 times)

Online EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Draw length ? Wheels vs. Sticks
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
I've been shooting traditional bows for a while now, but do on occasion still pick up a wheel bow.  I've heard many people say that when going from wheels to trad bows that draw length often drops by an inch or two.  For me, this is not the case.  I draw a compound to 29" and a recurve or a longbow to a solid 29 plus a bit and I don't feel as if I'm overdrawing the trad bows.  Do most of you feel that draw length should decrease from compounds to stick bows?  Am I doing something wrong that I'm not aware of?

Offline Adrian Farmer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw length ? Wheels vs. Sticks
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
Yes, on occasion you pick up a wheel bow!
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."--A. Einstein

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Adrian Farmer:
Yes, on occasion you pick up a wheel bow!
That's funny.

In terms of the real question, no.  There are too many variables in terms of shooting styles and releases, etc. to generalize.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Online EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
Thanks, Adrian!  I figured it was something simple.  Good stuff.  That wheel bow is actually up for sale, so I'm on my way to being straightened out.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
I know I draw less with my Oneida but I haven't shot it since I got my Hill. Am I absolved?
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
If you draw the same with all three styles, that tells me you're probably not using a release and/or loop and that you're shooting high wrist and target style with all three.  Yes?  If so, that sounds about right.  If the longbow has a recurve type handle on it; then I'd say it makes sense to be drawing the same with all three styles.  If you're shooting a Hill style longbow with a broomstick type handle, then you might want to consider shooting it with your palm down on the handle, which should reduce your draw length.  Add the bent bow arm Hill shooting style and you could see a draw length reduction on order of 2"-4" I'd guess.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
wheel  :scared:   bow 29  :archer:   REAL BOW 271/2  :archer2:
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
I went way up in draw length when I switched to trad . Just different style and most guys are set up too long on wheel bows , I was not . I went from 27 up to 31 .
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
On a compound, I drew 28.5" but with a release, a little bend in the arm for coat sleeve clearance, and sometimes a loop.  The distance between my trigger finger and string was at least 1”.  On a trad bow I pull over 29”.  I can’t see why it would be less unless I am shooting too heavy a bow and not getting my arm back all the way.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Online EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
I dropped 2" from 29" to 27".
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline ca

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
I shoot 29 on a compound and 29.75 on a recurve
No Country for Old Men

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
I gained an inch went from 28.8" to 29.5" with a longbow.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline fling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
Wow thats funny just the other day a friend of mine who shoots a compound just got a recuve a said he can't figure out why his draw lenth whent down about 2"

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
With a compound bow using a Scott's Wolf caliper release and anchoring in the corner of my mouth, my draw length is 30".

With my recurve bows, using a split finger tab and anchoring in the corner of my mouth with my middle finger, my draw length is still 30".

The way I see it and I've watched a few compound shooters shooting my 42# bow, their arms don't suddenly get shorter.

Since they're used to holding 23# at  full draw with their 65# compound bow, when they anchor in the corner of their mouth shooting my 42# recurve, their drawing arm is not straight. It's more bent because they're not used to the 42# holding weight at full draw. They're over bowed and this is why their 28" draw length with a compound bow is now 27" or less with my recurve.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
[/qb][/QUOTE]In terms of the real question, no.  There are too many variables in terms of shooting styles and releases, etc. to generalize. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  Unless you account for all the variables it's tough to compare the two with any degree of accuracy.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
I went from 28 to 29 when i switched. For me it had to do with bend in the elbow and using a release

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
With a compound, even though the bow is set at 29" does not mean it's a 29" draw. I've spent some time tuning and setting up both. I draw shorter on a recurve than a compound when the compound is set to specs (most are not, even new). I lost a little over an inch, more when I first started shooting a traditional bow with poor form - not that it's much better today - ha!

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
Most folks (but not all) lose draw length when they switch from compound to a trad bow.  There are a number of reasons for this.  Swamp Yankee hit on the major one.  Compound shooting style is very target oriented -- erect posture, straight head/neck angle, straight, locked bow arm, full extension of the back, often a high wrist grip and a trigger.  

Stickbow grips are often straight, which requires a much more low wrist, palm base on the riser grip, which lessens the draw length. Stickbow shooters often tilt their head into the bow string a little, shoot with a slightly bent bow arm and a somewhat more open stance (turned toward the target). All of these lessen the draw length a little.  Additionally, the heavier holding weight of stickbows causes most to scrunch up a little, reducing draw length even further.  In short, it's not uncommon for folks to lose one to two inches of draw length when they switch from compounds to stick bows. On the other hand, if they retain their compound shooting style and shoot a pistol grip trad bow, the draw length is very likely to stay the same.

Offline Workaholic1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
I lost almost 3 inches when I switched from my Oneida to trad.  Nightwing hit the nail on the head as to why....  not used to the holding weight.  I've gotten back up to my full draw on trad, after alot of work in the gym, and drawing my recurve, so am finally back up to almost 31.  Only real difference in my shooting style between the two is that I cant the recurve a touch, since I shot the Oneida split finger.

-rich
Kansas Army National Guard 1987-1990
U.S. Army 1990-1991
U.S. Navy 1996-2014- Retired

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©