3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ambi Trad Hunters?  (Read 139 times)

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
Ambi Trad Hunters?
« on: February 03, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
Let me preface this by saying that I am still in the 'Trad Hunter Wannabe' category.  Getting ready to put down the wheeley and pick up stick and string.  Ordered a 'bow trainer' to start prepping the muscles.  Got me to thinkin' . . .

Many of the other activities I participate in (martial arts, firearms, etc.) recommend/require praticing from both sides.  What about this activity?  Eye dominance and arrow rests/shelves aside (if that's possible) . . .does anyone practice BOTH sides?  (even if only for muscle symmetry?)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ambi Trad Hunters?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
most likely not, unless a injury would make one due such. it's because we learn to use our dominant eye and shoot that side. right eye shoots right handed, left eye shoots left handed. i think only person that would possibly excel here would be like my friend who had lasic eye surgery and has amazing vision now but both eyes are equal, and has no dominant eye, so he could learn to shoot well both ways.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
I do.  Kind of for some of the reason that you mentioned Kingsnake.  I think that it is a good thing to do in my opinion.  I'm no expert by any means, but I've always believed in developing both sides of the body/mind etc... if for nothing else...but as a back-up system....and with archery...it is fun  :)
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
I don't due to a vision problem with my left eye that would prevent me from ever shooting left handed. I do, however, go to the gym for some weight training which takes care of the muscles on both sides.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Kinda' felt silly asking, but the responses are mixed enough that I guess it wasn't a totally off-the-wall thought.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
It is definitely best for your muscle and skeletal systems to balance your workout and shooting, even if you just exercise your off side.  I try shooting lefty once in a while but can't seem to develop the coord for it, but still work both sides.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©