3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Time for a Tall Tale  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Time for a Tall Tale
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
Due to the aftershock of what had just happened or the cold I started to shake, a lot. Taking the tree stand down, lowering my bow and backpack and removing the steps out of the tree took quite some time. I was removing the last 2 steps while standing on the ground when I looked up the mountainside and saw Steve’s headlamp coming down the trail. The light stopped right where I assumed the Bear should have crossed the main trail on his run. Thinking Steve may have seen blood I shouted out “ What are you stopped for? “ No response and the light starts moving down the trail, crosses through the saplings goes along the ponds edge and comes to me.

Steve said “What the heck did you yell out to me for?” I just wanted to know why you stopped, don’t know why! He started in again “ All I saw this evening was squirrels, how about you?” Steve you need to know is a man’s man. Rugged dude in appearance and manner, worked for Uncle Sam, trains dogs, builds custom rifles and brews his own Beer among other things. “I said so you think you are pretty macho, huh? How macho are you?” He says, “I am not carry your backpack out for you just so you can carry that tree stand”. I jumped on him right then and said “I just shot a big Bear and WE are going to track it in the dark”.

More (manly) hugs, high fives and I tell the tale as we eventually get to where the Bear was last standing and find no sign of blood. We walk 20 feet to the Aspens and find a couple of spots on downed timber. Initially, every time we would find blood we would leap frog with one of us staying at the last located spot until the next blood was found. We were finding blood every 10 feet for the first 30 yards, when we found 8 inches of the front end of my arrow with the broadhead all covered in blood.

The bear crossed the main trail, jumped on a 24 inch diameter log and went along its entire 30 foot length. There was blood splatters every 3 feet all along the right side of the downed tree. Yahoo! He is bleeding very good from the opposite side of the arrows entrance. At the end of the downed tree we go into more small Aspens and then we hit a wall of Oak Brush with a small opening like a dogs door. It’s a freaking tunnel entering the Oak Brush!
Numerous times we are on our stomachs and our backs pulling our way through this Bear maze, which at times appears less than 18 inches high. This Bear must have been much smaller than I assumed when observing him briefly prior to my shot to be able to get through here. Another 20 yards and we find the rest of my Cedar arrow with blood covering fletching and all, with the next blood found on both sides of the Bears escape route.
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
I had put my camera on my belt through “double” Velcro bands in my camera carry case when we had stashed our packs at the main trail and I just realized the camera was missing, *&^@#$%! Told Steve to wait here, I left my bow with him and crawled back through, locating the camera in less than 20 feet, then returned.

Steve said “Bad news I did not wait and we are at a dead end, I can‘t locate any more blood.” There is a massive amount of blood in this one spot and we can not immediately locate any blood elsewhere. We crawl every compass direction for 20 minutes before Steve speaks out “Got some blood”. The Bear had backtracked on his trail about 40 feet and started to go down the mountain side. Yawhza! I have read about Bears doing that.

We belly crawled forwards 20 feet and came to an opening about the size a pickup and stood. I for no reason reach down and my camera is gone again!! Wait here this time Steve! Do not go on without me! I crawl up through the tunnels we had just came and see a reflection from my headlamp. It’s my pocket watch given to me by Rona and 3 feet from it is the camera, wow, I am being watched over.
Pope & Young Club

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
I crawl back to Steve and he says, “We better back out, this Bear has gone a long way, we may be pushing him with all the noise we are making, maybe he’s gut shot”. “No way! He is bleeding like crazy. You go back to the main trail and wait. We have a tremendous blood trail, I’ll go alone, I am fine with that“.

He says okay put your glasses on and you lead for awhile. Nothing clicks in my mind. Steve says “I think we need to go east and he points in that direction”. I take 3 steps and there lays a dead Bear 15 feet away. He had seen the Bear but had not went any closer. We get closer and we state simultaneously “He is huge!”
It was just after 10 p.m., many pictures later we pull our knives and game bags out to get started. Steve says “ What are your plans for the Bear? Do you know how to take care of the hide and everything?”. I had carried for 5 years in an upper pocket of my backpack a printout from a taxidermist I had found on the internet on how to properly cape a Bear for a rug. We followed these instructions to a tee. Steve had a knife I had never heard of, a Havalon. This knife had replaceable surgical blades that made easy straight cuts amazingly simple. The various knives we used and grasping the hide were made more secure with latex gloves which I had never worn while skinning which Steve also had brought. My arrow had entered just in front of the Bears rear left leg and the broadhead along with a small portion of the Cedar had exited out its front right legs armpit.
3 a.m. came none to quickly as we completed bagging all the meat and drapped the hide over a large tree leaning against another. We could easily see or breath from our headlamps as we gathered our backpacks, the tree stand and headed for his camp. The lights were on in his camper and his wife Deana then got to hear the tale and see the pictures on the digital camera.
Pope & Young Club

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
More pictures and a little more story to follow

Pope & Young Club

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
3 hours later after some food and a quick nap we returned to the Bear . To my horror there were blow flies everywhere. I have killed numerous Elk and never had I seen anything near this intense. We were swatting them away and removing as quickly as possible all visible blow fly eggs. Filling our backpacks and hiking out took our immediate attention. At my pickup with the Bear meat and hide all accounted for numerous hunters were there and the conversation went fast. I had to get this meat and hide taken care of now!

Having no idea of how to cut and package a Bear I took it to a game processor, where I was told I had done a great job and the fly contamination was non-existent. Whew! The taxidermist where I took the Bear exclaimed that our capping was excellent and that the fly’s caused no damage there as well. Whew again! The Bears estimated weight approached 400 pounds! What an exciting 60 second ride.
Pope & Young Club

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
woah! Thank you for a great story! What a bear!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
Pope & Young Club

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
Pope & Young Club

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »

Steve Boswell and I congratulting each other
Pope & Young Club

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »

Check out how thick this Oakbrush is
Pope & Young Club

Offline coachA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
Awesome story!!! I think somebody needs to make a book of just the stories that appear on this website without all the advertisements that the magazines have.

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Well this is the end fellows. Thanks for letting me share this and I really hope you liked it.  

Pope & Young Club

Offline coachA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
Awesome story!!! I think somebody needs to make a book of just the stories that appear on this website without all the advertisements that the magazines have.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
:clapper:
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Online highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Way good stuff! What a big Yogi. Thanks!

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
That's what I'm talkin about!   Great trophy and a great friend and hunting partner you have.  Excellent story telling, felt like I was right there.

Is that a Thunder Mt. Bow you are shooting?
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
I really enjoyed your story and pictures!  That is an awesome bear!!! Thanks for giving me a good way to spend part of a Saturday morning after the close of hunting season.
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
Great story  :bigsmyl:  Sounded like an eventful, exciting hunt.  Congrats  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »
WoW what a great story and pics.Congrats on agreat bear.  :thumbsup:
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
Great story and pictures!   Nothing better on a lazy winter's afternoon...!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©