3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Connexion Hinge or Bow-Bolt  (Read 887 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Connexion Hinge or Bow-Bolt
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
Poll results are headed right in the direction I figured.  The bow bolt is "in" and other systems are not, but that does not mean one is superior over the others.  

There was a thread a few years ago about a nasty failure of a bow with the connection hinge.  The owner was slightly injured and the bowyer was reluctant to make it right.  

I had the hinge system on another make with only one minor complaint.  On the first pull after stringing the bow, there was an audible popping sound, but nothing after that.  I learned to live with it and really had no other compaints except the minor inconvenience when the bow was unstrung as others have mentioned.  

I have never owned a bow bolt system, but have friends who own them and they all love them.
Lon Scott

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
I have owned several Robertson longbows, and one recurve now, with the Connexion system.  It isn't a very pretty system, although you cover up most of it with grip leather, but I have been very impressed with this system. Never any problems. Solid. Easy to put together and take apart. As a side note, these bows have ranged from 55# - 68#.
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Offline BowZen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
As a consumer, I would like to see the bow bolt. It's a cleaner more elegant look.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
As a consumer, I like the looks of the sleeve the best.  As a consumer I like the added weight of the bolt the best.  As a consumer I like the reliability and strength of the sleeve the best.  As an all-wood composite bowyer I haven't tried any of them yet.  However when I do try to build a 2-piece takedown, it is most likely be the sleeve based on my bow designs to-date.  I might also add that I am a firm believer in having a lot of weight (not size) in the riser area of a bow.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Jason, have you considered the take down system that 3-rivers offers on their Tomahawks?
I'm a long draw/heavy weight guy & that's the one t/d system that I've never had an issue with. I've been bitten twice by bowbolts shearing through the handle + a connexion hinge lose it's screws. I've no experience with a locket socket, but I can't imagine anything much stronger.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Maybe some people can post some pictures of the various designs together and apart to help show the differences.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
Jason, have you considered the take down system that 3-rivers offers on their Tomahawks?
I'm a long draw/heavy weight guy & that's the one t/d system that I've never had an issue with. I've been bitten twice by bowbolts shearing through the handle + a connexion hinge lose it's screws. I've no experience with a locket socket, but I can't imagine anything much stronger.
What was your riser materials Rob on these exploding bows?
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline CHAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
I have owned both the bow-bolt and  conn-hinge system in longbows.The bow-bolt is the better looking t/d system in my eyes but i could see and feel that there was flexing going on when i would draw the bow.The conn-hinge feels strong but i did get a little noise from it.I have never owned a socket style that big jim offers but i have shot them on Cari-bows and Black Widows and they feel rock solid and over built for the 55# bows i shoot but i like the piece of mind in knowing its over built.

Chad

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
The advantage of the bow bolt IMO, is the fact that if you want a larger handle, or like a hight wrist type handle(like a Asbell grip), you can totally do it... I think.... Since I'm no bow bolt or bow expert by any means!!!!!

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
IF I had to pick between the 2, bow bolt no doubt.  But as with some others the locket socket set up is the best in my view.

Offline Koko Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
I personally do not like the look of the hinge.  Like the locket or bow bolt for looks.  I've never owned any of the three but if I did would prefer the latter two options.  Good to hear the pros and cons of each from so many others.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! ~ Psalm 17

Dryad Epic

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
I have only owned the locket socket t/d by black widow. And will be receiving a new thunder child by big Jim soon with the same socket. If I could only choose between the two in question it would be a bow bolt. IMO the hinge looks like an after thought.  I just got on the list for a shrew but after all the possible issues reported with the bow bolt I'm going with a one piece.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
I own a Caribow take down which appears to be just like Big Jims bows.  I thought it was the best design and thats why I bought it. It is rock solid and when together looks like a one piece. Never a single problem with it. But it does take good force to pull it apart. Still, a great design and I like it and would never sell my Caribow.

Currently I'm hooked on Great Northern Bows and have a one peice from Jerry but look to add a takedown(hinge) from him next year. I shot his takedown at Kazoo and the hinge bump didn't bother me at all. Still not quite as clean look as the one piece but not bad at all. Take down is also much more user friendly/easier/faster.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
i've had/have both types of t/d systems.

the bow bolt looks and feels great with the bow braced.  when it works it works well, when it doesn't - due to dirt/gunk/whatever on the threads - it's a real pain that's the same as any stuck metal sleeve.  a bow bolt produces unequal bow halves when taken apart.

the connexion hinge may not feel or look as good when the bow's strung up and it will wobble and/or unhinge when unbraced, UNLESS a roll up rubber handle grip is used.  some bowyers use an overlay on the riser back which eliminates feeling the "bump" of the hinge.  the system is a quick and easy positive lock up under the worst of field conditions.  a hinge produces equal bow halves when taken apart.  

i prefer the hinge.  it's all good and ymmv.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
I've have a MOAB with the hinge and it's been flawless, when strung you can't tell it's a 2pc. My only complaint would be that when it's unstrung its flops all over the place. I would prefer the a system that even when unstrung it stays in one piece. I would take the bow bolt system over the hinge but I would take the carbon sleeve that Big Jim uses over both in a heart beat. Simple, light and you can't tell it's a 2pc when together. And Big Jim shoots 80+ pounds on his take downs, I trust that my mid fifty pound range would be solid as can be.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
Ive had the hing and didnt like it at all , I think the bolt looks alot better and it put a little weight in the riser which would make it more stable  and even less shocky .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
I have enough stuff in the shop to try about 10 composite sleeves like BigJims, I am going to practice with some 2x4's first to see how it goes.

With some of the PM's I have been getting about the different 2-piece systems I may just finish up the 3-piece I have been working on and offer it instead. I already have it shooting great, its smooth and fast, just not as pretty as a 1-piece in my eyes but the added weight is really nice!

Offline jsparky93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Your 3 piece is about as nice looking one as I ever seen, I like the fact that it lacks all the sharp edges. How does it look strung? I have been looking at alot of T/D bows lately & have a Mohawk T/D with the hinge & I like it but I am starting to see alot of advantages to  3 pc system, such as... spare limbs, different weight limbs & a more portable package when its taken down to name a few.  Just my 2 cents worth

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
I don't trust the bolt and worry about separation at the riser at draw. I don't own one of your bows but your 3 pc. is the way to go.

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
Thanks Guys, I have to finish up a customers bow first and then I am going to finish off a set of 3-piece limbs I already have glued up. I have built dozens of them but I never really got after it to hard since I like my one piece bow so much.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©