3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hill Bow Grip Style Problem  (Read 372 times)

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Hill Bow Grip Style Problem
« on: February 04, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
Here's a problem that I've had for years. Just curious if anyone else has ever had the same???
I've owned a couple of Hill style bows during the past 25 years. I LOVE shooting them, holding them, and just plain looking at them. For me there is a different feel to the experience when I shoot an animal with one. The one thing that has caused me to trade my Hill bow both times is that in colder weather (I'm talking single digits and lower.) when I am forced to wear gloves the extra bulk ends up pushing the arrow up off the shelf when I go to shoot. This is due to the inherent shape of the Hill bow's handle. If I'm really careful and methodical I can grip the bow in a way that keeps the excess glove material down low where it isn't a problem, but in hunting situations there often isn't time to be so precise. Anyone else experience this problem in colder weather?
I'm asking because I'm in the process of talking myself into/out of ordering another Hill. I know I can just hunt with it in the early season and retire it when the weather turns cold, but I'm the type of person who likes to carry the same weapon on all my hunts.
I await your thoughts...

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hill Bow Grip Style Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
You could ask Craig to radius the shelf front and rear which may put the arrow up just enough above your grip to avoid that problem.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
Good suggestion, Molson.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
Kevin don't know if this would help, but the older Hill's and Schulz bows had a wedge of leather to keep the arrow on the rest.  It sticks up and helps to keep the arrow on.  I get better arrow flight with it.  Opinions may vary.  Would that help? Here is a photo.  

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
Take a measurement of the width of your hand, with the glove on, and have Craig make the grip long enough for you. I have the same problem on my Halfbreed, but with a barehand, a glove makes it worse. The handle is just too short for me. I make do, but I have to be particular about my fletch position.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
dragonheart;
Thanks for the pics. I can see where the leather wedge would help keep the arrow from falling off to the side, but my problem is with my glove actually raising the arrow up off the shelf. I don't even realize it is up off the shelf, until I shoot high.
looper;
My handle is long enough as I can move my hand down further below the shelf, but then I'm not positioned in the "sweet spot" and the release just doesn't feel right.
I think Molson's suggestion of a radiused shelf makes a lot of sense.
Anyone have other ideas?

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
What about creating a radiused shelf by putting something under the shelf pad? It would be cheaper than buying a new bow only to find it didn't work.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
Cold? What's that? I am not familiar with this term. Is it an Americanism?
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
I'm wondering if the builder of your next Hill style bow wouldn't be able to just tiller the bow for a little lower dynamic center; more like a three under tillered bow?  Worth a discussion with the bowyer I'd think.  Of course then you'd still have to grip the bow low even without the glove.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
Good point, bicster.
Ben, you lucky dog, you! Go ahead and rub it in!
Swamp Yank, definitely worth discussing in depth with the maker of my next bow. I plan on presenting several of these ideas when that time comes.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
I have raised the shelf on a bow using a wine bottle cork and some Barge cement. I cut a 3/8" wedge and shaped it with an emery board. Put the calf hair over that.
Tom

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
Hello there...I personally don't like to shoot with gloves on the bowhand because my arrow does the same thing and I don't want to grip the bow lower to compensate as this changes tiller......so what to do?

John at American leathers has come out with a new cold weather glove made especially for this situation.  He and I shoot longbows and have tried every style of glove or mitt out there.  His new glove is the answer.  It is made of polarfleece but is very snug fitting with grip pads where needed to grip a bow and nock arrows with dexterity.  With his new glove I can shoot my longbows as I normally do without altering my grip or affecting arrow flight. And they are warm.  They are sewn differently from other hand gloves so that you can trim your fingertips as necessary for a glove or tab and they won't ravel.  Great stuff....call him for more info....I heartily endorse them for cold weather shooting...remember they need to fit snug.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Thanks, sunset!
Sounds like a good deal. I'll definitely check them out.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
Wear a very light weight glove and use some sort of muff with heater packs in it to keep your hands warm.  Take you hand out only when it is needed.
ChuckC

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
I think the leather wedge that dragonheart shows in the pictures is a pressure point to keep your hand lower on the bow handle not keep the arrow from falling off the shelf.  I know the wedge as a locator keeps your hand in the same place on the handle.

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
I wear thick wool gloves with leather palms and inside of the fingers and never had that problem when hunting/shooting the Hill bows both having straight grips. You might try putting a piece of some type of material to make the glove section on your hand that holds your bow glove such as duct tape to not be so bulky. Just a thought.
...Mark

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
For "Inclement" Weather, try a "Feather Rest", it will get the Arrow Shaft Up off the Shelf just a Wee Bit. Maybe that would get the Clearnce you seek?   ALL  the Ideas here are good ones!  :thumbsup:    :campfire:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 12:44:00 AM »
Lots of food for thought here.
Chuck, I use a hand muff with chemical warmers and as light weight gloves as I can get by with...often times with no gloves at all. When it gets bitter cold out though I'm forced to using heavier gloves and that is when I run into problems.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 12:48:00 AM »
In cooler weather I used insulated golf gloves.  Snug fit, still have the "feel" of the handle.  For cold weather I will be checking out these that American Leathers has.
Longbows & Short Shots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©