3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KUIU - Kifaru - MR or Other Pack For Bivy Hunting?  (Read 483 times)

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
KUIU - Kifaru - MR or Other Pack For Bivy Hunting?
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
I have been reading up on quality comfortable packs to bivy into the back country.  I am Looking at KUIU, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch (MR) and other packs.  Both Kifaru and MR have very strong followings and have been around a very long time.  Those that use them say they are the best.  I have read up on KUIU, whose frame is much lighter (that is appealing) but the majority if not all of what you read out there on KUIU packs is from people who got them free in turn for a review. I did a search on TradGang but did not come up with anything.  What do you use and recommend? Anyone have first hand experience with KUIU packs?  I saw some issues with the 3000 pack. Thanks you for your input!
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: KUIU - Kifaru - MR or Other Pack For Bivy Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
I personally use the mystery ranch NICE Crewcab.  I like this pack because once I get camp set up I can significantly shrink the size of my pack.  It does have a lot of straps and buckles that some people like and some people hate, me personally I don't mind them.  The nice thing about the NICE frame is that you can use one frame for multiple packs if you choose to have say a 7000 cu.in or a 2000 cu.in.  The initial cost of the frame and a new bag is expensive, but I feel that the frame will last forever.  I am very happy with this pack, but I am also from MT and try to buy Montana products.

As far as weight the mystery ranch NICE packs are far heavier than the Kifaru, especially compared to the new ultralights that kifaru has come out with.  As far as durability, I think you would be hard pressed to find a more durable pack than the mystery ranch.  The mystery ranch packs are not very water repellant, and are somewhat loud due to the material that they use, but this is also what makes them so durable.  

The mystery ranch pack has a yoke that can be adjusted for torso length, but I have some friends tell me that they think the kifaru fits a long torso better.  

Mystery ranch stands behind their product, and if you are not happy with it you can return.

I do not have any experience with the KUIU products, good luck in choosing a new pack.

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
??? Hm ? "I am very happy with this pack, but I am also from MT and try to buy Montana products."

And your profile says Colorado ??? Whats up with that?

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by stickbowhntr:
??? Hm ? "I am very happy with this pack, but I am also from MT and try to buy Montana products."

And your profile says Colorado ??? Whats up with that?
I currently live in Colorado, once I can find work in MT I will move back.

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
Bill,
   Maybe Tutanka was born and raised in Montana and now lives in CO???

What does your question really have to do with the Topic???
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
I have a Crew Cab.  VERY versatile pack that can haul anything.

I was looking, looking, looking at that Kuiu pack, I just could not get it out of my head that the carbon fiber frame, while a very innovative idea, was not the ideal material for a guy spending a lot of time around a lot of rocks.  I have read quite a bit of "issues" with the Kuiu pack. Slipping shoulder straps, squeaking pivot point, not very comfortable with loads over 60#.  I was glad I passed when last weekend I was talking with a friend who had hunted Dall sheep in the NWT this fall.  His guide and another guide in the same outfit tried the Icon.  Both returned them.

I will take another look at them after they have a few years of refinement.  For now, I will see how the Kifaru KU5200 I just picked up fits the bill.  So far, just in the house loaded up, I am very impressed.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
And, Steve, you are welcome to try both my Crew Cab and Kifaru if you would like.

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
I have the MR NICE Pack Frame with the 6500 cu in pack and the load hauler.  It's the perfect set-up for out west and for hunting with a climber here in the midwest.  That load hauler is invaluable for hauling tree stands.  I like the flexibility of the NICE system.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
I never used the Kuiu my self, but a friend of mine have one and I had a look at it, and I have to say, it look like a really well made and thought out pack!! That said, i never used it....

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
Man...  I usually don't post much over here, but backpack hunting is kind of my schtick.

I got my start with cheap crap that borders on midevil torture devices, like Badlands, Eberlestock, Osprey, and Granite Gear schwag.  In my opinion packs like this are great for tourists that will never carry more than 50 Lbs on their back.

4 years ago, I purchased a Mystery Ranch CrewCab and a 6500 bag to go with it.  It was a chunk of money, but the difference in it compared to every other pack I'd used was night and day.  The Crewcab gets used a lot in bow season for dayhunts and hanging treestands.  Its not a very big inch pack, but you could pull an overnighter, or maybe even a 3 day if its mellow temps outside and you're not packing a lot of clothing.  The 6500 is the one I use most for real backpacking, and I carry loads in up up to 60 Lbs quite a bit, and I get in at least 2 weeks a year of real pack trips.  A 7 day trip is a commitment, but it'll get your priorities straight....

Then last June, EdT (regular on the Kifaru forums and on the Backpack Hunting section of the 24HCF quite a bit) had an Back Country Skills camp.  Me and my hunting buddy made the trip and spent the cash.  Even though the class wasn't really what I expected, it was a hell of an eye opener.  If anybody on here is thinking they want to get serious about living out of a backpack while hunting, and has never done it, I would highly recommend taking Ed's class.  It'll save you a couple grand on gear you'll try that won't work out...

What was cool about Ed's class, is unbeknownst to us, his longtime friend Patrick Smith was there.  If you've ever got the impression that Patrick is a burned out hippy with nothing better to do than build mountaineering grade products and spend countless hours "field testing" them...  You'd pretty much be right.

Patrick had brought quite a few of his new UL line of packs to the party, and I had a chance to try several packs on with 100 Lbs in them...  I'll be the first to say it.  a hundred pound pack sucks...  At best, you're going to make it suck less.

100 Lbs in the KUIU Icon...  Absolute PAIN...  The waist band felt like it up-ended and was trying to cut me in half.  You couldn't pay me to carry over 40 Lbs in one again.

100 Lbs in Patrick's prototype UL5200... voted "Sucked Least" by all in attendance.  Notice how thin the waist belt is, and how spread out it is...  It does a SUPERB job of spreading the load out evenly over your pelvis, and puts no pressure in any one spot.)

Then my tried and true MR 6500.  You can feel some pressure on the front topside and rear downside of the waist belt as the padding wants to compress under a 100 pound load.  Nowhere near as bad as the KUIU, but nowhere near as good as the KU5200.

I was talking to Patrick in this pic about his pack stays which are a hardwood carbon/composite lamination.  I work in a plywood mill and shoot recurves, so laminations are more than a hobby to me.  Patrick said that his pack stays are 50% more rigid and half the weight of aluminum...  You could beat a hippy to death with them...

The first EdT graduating class  :)

After the EdT class.  I was ratholing money for a KU5200UL.  Then I had some ER bills to pay.  Right now I'm saving for a Timberline 5200.  I just like bombproof  :)

Offline marshratTC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
That is awesome. If the KUIU and the other top end packs you mentioned are on the "crap" list, I will be in serious trouble with a Kelty Cache Hauler. That is about all I could afford for elk country this coming season. You are offering up some great information.

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 01:02:00 AM »
I have  KUIU Icon 6000. I like this pack. This is interesting test, but I never will use my pack for 100lb..
Martin

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 04:27:00 AM »
Kohout, I have no plans to pack 100 Lbs other than in training.  I have some LCL and ACL issues in my left knee, leftovers from JuJitsu  :(   I rarely go in at over 50 Lbs for a week, but packing 75 Lbs OUT is a very real possibility.

However, how a pack "shakes out" with a big load is indicative of how well it will pack 60 Lbs in my opinion.  Kifaru and Mystery Ranch are in a league of their own.  With Kifaru being hands down the winner of the "sucks least" award.

I'm going to work hard this fall to take pictures of dead animals, Schafer Silvertips, and Kifaru backpacks  :)

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 05:47:00 AM »
Thanks so much for the input everyone!  Dan, a special thanks to you for posting and putting down your first hand experience with pics, I found it very enlightening and useful! One thing I have learned, at great expense, is to research and buy the very best you can afford; cutting corners is expensive! I am still interested in hearing from others.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline wigeon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 06:28:00 AM »
I have the KU5200,used it last year on an elk hunt.We hiked in 5 miles setup camp and hunted from there.I bought the pack because how light it was.I hiked with weight in it for months before the hunt slowly adding more weight each time.The pack worked perfect for me,the most I ever had in the pack was 60 lbs and it was comfortable.At first I was concerned about how thin the material the pack is made out of is,but after wearing it in the bush for 10 tens I had no problems.Kifaru is a good company that stands behind its product.My buddy also bought one and it just didnt fit him right,he sent it back they made some adjustments for him.He tryed it for awhile and it just didnt work for him.He eventually sent it back and they gave him a full refund.He bought the KUIU and likes it.Maybe you can find some guys close to you that have different packs and you could try them.Good luck in your search for a pack

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
I have the kuiu Icon 6000 and I paid for it. I havnt had 100# in it but it is the lightest pack and it has the most compression straps. So I can hunt in it all day and its like wearing a standard day pack but will expand out to 6000 c.i. for at least getting the first load out. The other 6000 packs are to bulky to hunt in. In my opinion.

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
Back to the whole pretense of Bivy hunting....  

Most good bivy sacks that work tip the scales at 3-4 Lbs anyways.  A Kifaru Supertarp is about 2 Lbs more with an Annex and parastove.  The new cylinder stoves from EdT would probably shave another half pound.  I lived in one all September chasing Elk, and early October chasing Mulies up high

Heated shelters are super badass.  Once you use a floorless tent with a woodstove, you'll never go back to anything else

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
I'm a big Kifaru fan..... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
Me too...

Hunting buddy has a Sawtooth on the way for next fall, and I just happen to have a "medium" stove that I never got around to burning.

Each guy packs 4 Lbs and you've got a heated shelter with insane amounts of room.

Kevin T from Seek Outside has some really good tents too.  His new BCS will likely be my new solo shelter, it doesn't weigh much more than the old tried and true Supertarp, and its big enough to fit two guys and a stove and some gear...  His tipi's I like better than Kifaru, and that's saying something.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 04:07:00 AM »
Listen to Dan, he knows of what he speaks.  After seeing all three in person there is no way you could get me to spend my money on anything but Kifaru packs.  Mystery Ranch makes a hell of a pack, but for me the Kifaru stuff just makes more sense, it weighs less and cost is similar.

I try and walk at least 3 miles, at least 5 days a week with 60lbs. in/on my pack.  I've owned a Siwash and now a Longhunter and I couldn't be happier.

Me with 85 lbs. last fall.  It was rifle season, but I'm hoping to do the same with my trad bow this fall.  Inside the pack is the same ~200 lbs. buck completely boned out except for the front legs which went in the pack whole.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©