3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who here went recurve to longbow?  (Read 834 times)

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who here went recurve to longbow?
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
Started at 11 w/35# longbow, to recurves, to compounds, to longbows exclusively 35 years ago. No trouble shooting recurves. Just do not like locked in hand position of locator &/or pistol grips. Prefer my heavier straight handled lb's at 70" ntn also.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
I have always shot recurves with one exception. I bought a Mikuta long bow and couldn't get used to it. Good bow but not for me.
Time has passed, and I still want to hunt with a longbow, so I am trying a Silvertip L/B. It has a heavier locator riser, so I am hoping this will do it for me. Wish me luck.
Ken Thornhill

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
I shoot both but my go-to bow is a Sarrels Blueridge takedown longbow. This longbow is the only bow I practice and hunt with. The only reason I own the recurve is to shoot more classes at the 3D shoots. I started with a recurve a LONG time ago. One of my best friends (Bob Sarrels of Sarrels Archery) started building longbows so I tried one of his original one piece models. I was hooked on the longbow then and have been primarily a longbow shooter ever since.

The dinky longbow grips is part of what I like about longbows.......along with not having to use a stringer!

Bisch

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
How I switch was by accident I want to go to the North American Longbow Safari and I had been shoot with couple of Trad Gang bud's Roadkill and Traxx both shot Pronghorn Longbows. They told me that Rick's House arrows had a new Pronghorn Longbow I went down to shoot it and I bought two Pronghorn's in one year fell in Love with them one is call Red the other LG. Rick call me late last year said he had a New Pronghorn in I should come down and shoot it I did but left it there three Longbows in a year would been a little too much for the Boss if you know what I mean.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Bob Abeln

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
I shoot the hybrids and get the best of both worlds. Recurves do seem kinda heavy now. You have to still have good form to shoot any kind of bow.

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
I had primarily shot recurves growing up and after I split a limb on my grizzly I decided to go the longbow route. I don't forsee me going back as I love the feel, lightweight and general shootability of a R/D longbow.
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
Started out shooting a recurve. Picked up a friends long bow and fell in love with the feel. Have shot long bows since that day. Just sold the only recurve I own, which hadn't been shot a hand full of times the last 5 years. To nice a bow to be sitting on the rack unused. Just something about long bows that I can't resist.

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
when I switched over to trad only some years back I tried them all but now I only hunt with longbows. I just like them better all around. I recently swapped my son's recurve for him a longbow and he is VERY pleased. I'll pick up a RC every now and then but always let it go. just something about a longbow.

Offline fling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Love my recuves but right now I'm in a longbow phase.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
I personally think you should shoot one or the other. Going back a forth can be done but I feel it screws with ones confidence. Archery is mostly a mental game and I have limited RAM in my brain so... JMO.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe ashton:
I personally think you should shoot one or the other. Going back a forth can be done but I feel it screws with ones confidence. Archery is mostly a mental game and I have limited RAM in my brain so... JMO.
X2   My feelings exactly.  

Thinking this would be especially true when you are in a situation that requires a quick instinctive shot....no thinking/aiming - just killing with the engrained/embedded ROM.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
I started shooting longbow several years ago and found my true love of archery. I started archery with a recurve, moved to compound, back to recurve and then long bow. Compound bored me to death. Any way, my hunting buddy had been shooting some longbows, and I tried them out once he bought one. The first few times I struggled with the grip, finally got hold of it and now I just enjoy it so much! I too felt the grip was small, but I had a custom bow made with a beefy grip and it worked out great. Give it some time and enjoy.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
I shoot my Custom Bighorn recurve well, but there is something about a short LB that I am determined to use.  I'm currently shooting a Thunderstick Mag right now and as long as I watch my grip it shoots deer MOA for sure!

You really have to watch how you grip the LB and also your release  ....  much less forgiving than a recurve.

BTW, VERY impressed with the mag and thinking of getting me one a little heavier in a 2-piece.  Time will tell.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
I started with a recurve. Then went ILF recurve and longbow profiles. I liked the longbow limbs better. Then I went to a Centaur Longbow....and just got a Shrew Classic Hunter. It is the grip of a longbow,and something about the way they draw and shoot that I love. I don't plan on getting a recurve any time soon. In fact the only curve I own is my bowfishing set-up.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
I did and it didnt take long at all , maybe a few weeks or a month or 2 . If you switch to a longbow get a takedown like a Hummingbird , Firefly , or Crow Creek . You my find you like them better for quietness and light weight .
" Live long and prosper "

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys - never thought of a RC being more forgiving - because its what I shot - do they tend to be more forgiving than the LB?
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Two Dogs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Started w/ a LB when I was a young boy, shot a curve for a few yrs, then returned to the LB. I should never have strayed! [sob]  "[dntthnk]"

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
The BIGGEST thing when I go from my recurve to PLX'S is how I grip the bow. With my longbows, I have to use the heel of my hand, unlike my recurve. As soon as I figured out the grip, my shooting improved almost immediately.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
Like others I can switch back and forth. I have no problems with longbows and enjoy shooting them. There's some about a recurve I just prefer?

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
I shoot both, can't really tell the difference as I enjoy them both and am about equal with either one.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©